Old 29-01-2007, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Throw away attitude

Following up to "'Mike'" :

As an afterthought, do you really believe that such a small item as a paper
bag and use thereof will 'save the world'???????

No, not on it's own, but it's the combined effect, and wore importantly the
attitude to other issues that might well make a difference. Even the
longest journey starts with the first small step.
--
Tim C.
Old 29-01-2007, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to Martin :

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:51:34 +0100, Tim C. wrote:

Following up to Sacha :

Nobody forces you to take a bag! If you don't, they save money, after all.
Take the till receipt and smile nicely. That's it.

Not according to 'Mike' who seems to think that forcing you to take a bag
is the norm.

He didn't mention where they forced him to put the bag.

The mind boggles.
--
Tim C.
Old 29-01-2007, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to "'Mike'" :

As an afterthought, do you really believe that such a small item as a
paper
bag and use thereof will 'save the world'???????

Maybe not, but the paper bag will rot down if left outside, the plastic bag
will be there forever, unless you shop at the Co-Op!

Old 29-01-2007, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:51:34 +0100, Tim C. wrote:

Following up to Sacha :

Nobody forces you to take a bag! If you don't, they save money, after
all.
Take the till receipt and smile nicely. That's it.

Not according to 'Mike' who seems to think that forcing you to take a bag
is the norm.

He didn't mention where they forced him to put the bag.

I wouldn't want to be told where to put the bag either!

--

Martin

Old 29-01-2007, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to "Alan Holmes" :

Following up to "'Mike'" :

As an afterthought, do you really believe that such a small item as a
paper
bag and use thereof will 'save the world'???????

Maybe not, but the paper bag will rot down if left outside, the plastic bag
will be there forever, unless you shop at the Co-Op!

Hence the horrendous fines for using plastic bags in some parts of India
now.

Battle of the bag
From New Scientist Print Edition.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...f-the-bag.html

"In 2002, Bangladesh took a more drastic approach, bringing in a total ban
on the production and sale of polyethylene and introducing a £5 on-the-spot
fine for using a plastic bag. If a blanket ban seems a little extreme, it
was prompted by more than just green thinking. In a country with limited
waste disposal and virtually no bins, most of the 10 million or so plastics
bags used every day were dropped in the street, then washed into rivers and
sewers where they choked the country's drainage system. The Buriganga
river, which flows through the capital Dhaka, was left almost dammed by
plastic bags, and blocked drains are widely held responsible for the
devastating monsoon floods of 1988 and 1998. In the two years since the
ban, the once floundering jute-bag industry has been resurrected and street
children are reportedly doing a roaring trade in handmade paper bags made
from newspaper and torn-up exercise books. A resurgence of rebel
plastic-bag manufacturers this year has prompted a government crackdown,
with manufacturers facing up to 10 years in jail and a fine of £9000.

The government of the north Indian state of Himachal Pradesh is also taking
a hard line. There, being caught in possession of a polyethylene bag could
get you seven years behind bars and a £1000 fine."
--
Tim C.
Old 29-01-2007, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim C." wrote in message

Hence the horrendous fines for using plastic bags in some parts of India
now.

Have you been to India lately?

I was there during my World Cruise last year and the fines don't seem to be
working, 'if' they were supposed to be applied in Cochin or Bombay.

The places was filthy.

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 29-01-2007, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim C." wrote in message
Following up to Anne Jackson :

That's what I said, but it seems this isn't an acceptable request by
UK
shopkeepers. I've been told, so now I know.

Nonsense!

I know it's nonsense.

What have all these threads got to do with the topic of UK Gardening ?

pp.

Old 29-01-2007, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

p. pleater writes

"Tim C." wrote in message
.. .
Following up to Anne Jackson :

That's what I said, but it seems this isn't an acceptable request by
UK
shopkeepers. I've been told, so now I know.

Nonsense!

I know it's nonsense.

What have all these threads got to do with the topic of UK Gardening ?

It's called thread drift. It's a feature of usenet.

--
Kay
Old 30-01-2007, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to "p. pleater" :

"Tim C." wrote in message
.. .
Following up to Anne Jackson :

That's what I said, but it seems this isn't an acceptable request by
UK
shopkeepers. I've been told, so now I know.

Nonsense!

I know it's nonsense.

What have all these threads got to do with the topic of UK Gardening ?

Of course, this thread is totally off-topic and really should have been
labeled as such.
If you have a problem with it why are you still reading it this far down
the line?
--
Tim C.
Old 30-01-2007, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25 Jan, 22:36, garden-addicted garden-addicted.
wrote:
However the biggest impact I can make is in the business environment.

Check on this site. We've developed a tool kit for businesses/
organisations. The start is a series of lectures, followed by
workshops and then there will be individual 'challenges' kitted to
different organisations. You'll eventually find what you are looking
for for your own organisation. I'm interested at involving landlords
of current properties housing offices in old buildings/mills etc, in
our case for the complete renovation of the roof of our offices and
insulating our office to minimise the heat loss. It's a slow process
but together ... we can make lots of changes )

http://www.cooperatives-uk.coop/live/cme1122.htm

Old 30-01-2007, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 30, 11:49 am, "La Puce" wrote:

Check on this site. We've developed a tool kit for businesses/
organisations. The start is a series of lectures, followed by
workshops and then there will be individual 'challenges' kitted to
different organisations. You'll eventually find what you are looking

I see URBED Manchester is involved no thanks anything that you with
your bad advice on gardening is involved in i will pass

and no advertising please