Old 31-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Registered User

Default potatoes

gonna try potatoes this year for the first time, so i ordered them and they arrived at the weekend.They are a maincrop variety ,name escapes me. was just curious as to when i should box them up? egg cartons at the ready so to speak..i live east of colchester in essex/east anglia if this helps with frost areas..advice would really help thx
Old 31-01-2007, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31 Jan, 13:36, jellyfish
wrote:
gonna try potatoes this year for the first time, so i ordered them and
they arrived at the weekend.They are a maincrop variety ,name escapes
me. was just curious as to when i should box them up? egg cartons at
the ready so to speak..i live east of colchester in essex/east anglia
if this helps with frost areas..advice would really help thx

Put your spud eyes up in your egg box and place in a cool place,
preferably dark to start with and then when you see little shoots move
them to a lighter place. When I come to chitting my spuds, I place
them in a close veranda, which is very cool but light. It doesn't make
any difference, to me at least. I always get mine end of February
which is the right time to me from chitting to planting time. I'm
Lancashire and I plant them at Easter, or a week later if I decide to
go quad biking for a week with the kids )

Here a site which explain everything to you.

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/factsheets/gg9.php

Good luck!

Old 31-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyfish
gonna try potatoes this year for the first time, so i ordered them and they arrived at the weekend.They are a maincrop variety ,name escapes me. was just curious as to when i should box them up? egg cartons at the ready so to speak..i live east of colchester in essex/east anglia if this helps with frost areas..advice would really help thx
From Suffolk, I normally Plant Earlies early March, Early and Late Main, early April. Harvest Earlies July/August, Main Late September onwards.
Good luck.
Frednurt.
Old 31-01-2007, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
: On 31 Jan, 13:36, jellyfish
:
: Put your spud eyes up in your egg box and place in a cool place,
: preferably dark to start with and then when you see little shoots move
: them to a lighter place. When I come to chitting my spuds, I place
: them in a close veranda, which is very cool but light. It doesn't make
: any difference, to me at least. I always get mine end of February
: which is the right time to me from chitting to planting time. I'm
: Lancashire and I plant them at Easter, or a week later if I decide to
: go quad biking for a week with the kids )
:
: Here a site which explain everything to you.
:
: http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/factsheets/gg9.php
:
: Good luck!
:
How odd, I disagree with the organic gardening people, if you put them in
the dark it only speeds up the chitting which at the early stage of the year
is not what you want

Old 31-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frednurt
From Suffolk, I normally Plant Earlies early March, Early and Late Main, early April. Harvest Earlies July/August, Main Late September onwards.
Good luck.
Frednurt.
thanks for the advice fred. so if maincrop go in early april..when should be the best time to put them into the egg box's so they sprout before planting?..

Old 31-01-2007, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 31, 4:31 pm, "Robert" :
How odd, I disagree with the organic gardening people, if you put them in
the dark it only speeds up the chitting which at the early stage of the year
is not what you want

take Roberts advice as La Puce frequently gets it wrong

Old 31-01-2007, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jellyfish" wrote

gonna try potatoes this year for the first time, so i ordered them and
they arrived at the weekend.They are a maincrop variety ,name escapes
me. was just curious as to when i should box them up? egg cartons at
the ready so to speak..i live east of colchester in essex/east anglia
if this helps with frost areas..advice would really help thx

Carton them up now in a very cool but frost free place in light and they
will slowly make nice short sturdy green growths which should be just right
to plant at the correct time.
I chit mine in trays with a layer of potting compost in to which they root
as well as making top growth. (I do not water them btw)

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 31-01-2007, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"jellyfish" wrote

gonna try potatoes this year for the first time, so i ordered them and
they arrived at the weekend.They are a maincrop variety ,name escapes
me. was just curious as to when i should box them up? egg cartons at
the ready so to speak..i live east of colchester in essex/east anglia
if this helps with frost areas..advice would really help thx

Carton them up now in a very cool but frost free place in light and they
will slowly make nice short sturdy green growths which should be just
right to plant at the correct time.
I chit mine in trays with a layer of potting compost in to which they root
as well as making top growth. (I do not water them btw)

I've never thought of putting them in compost while chitting, I would have
thought that would have speeded up the process, of getting them to grow.

Alan

Old 31-01-2007, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"The Minister" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jan 31, 4:31 pm, "Robert" :
How odd, I disagree with the organic gardening people, if you put them in
the dark it only speeds up the chitting which at the early stage of the
year
is not what you want

take Roberts advice as La Puce frequently gets it wrong

Fortunately I didn't get her article as I have killfiled her, but you are
correct, LaPuke does frequently get it wrong.

I don't know why she bothers.

Alan

Old 31-01-2007, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jellyfish" wrote in message

gonna try potatoes this year for the first time, so i ordered them and
they arrived at the weekend.They are a maincrop variety ,name escapes
me. was just curious as to when i should box them up? egg cartons at
the ready so to speak..i live east of colchester in essex/east anglia
if this helps with frost areas..advice would really help thx

Follow Robert or Bobs advice, either will do your potatoes good.

Alan

--
jellyfish

Old 31-01-2007, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 31, 5:35 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"jellyfish" wrote

gonna try potatoes this year for the first time, so i ordered them and
they arrived at the weekend.They are a maincrop variety ,name escapes
me. was just curious as to when i should box them up? egg cartons at
the ready so to speak..i live east of colchester in essex/east anglia
if this helps with frost areas..advice would really help thx

Carton them up now in a very cool but frost free place in light and they
will slowly make nice short sturdy green growths which should be just right
to plant at the correct time.
I chit mine in trays with a layer of potting compost in to which they root
as well as making top growth. (I do not water them btw)

--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK

Bob, That's exactly the way my late Father used to prepare his and we
always had great potatoes.

Edward, my husband chits his without the compost but his are never as
early as my Father's were.

JudithL at home

Old 31-01-2007, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan Holmes wrote:
: "The Minister" wrote in message
: oups.com...
:: On Jan 31, 4:31 pm, "Robert" :
::: How odd, I disagree with the organic gardening people, if you put
::: them in the dark it only speeds up the chitting which at the early
::: stage of the year
::: is not what you want
::
:: take Roberts advice as La Puce frequently gets it wrong
:
: Fortunately I didn't get her article as I have killfiled her, but you
: are correct, LaPuke does frequently get it wrong.
:
: I don't know why she bothers.
:
: Alan

I think you're being a little unfair as the advice given by La Puce was
taken from an official source. Gardening in a lot of matters is what works
for you, there is not necessarily a definitive answer

Old 31-01-2007, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert" wrote in message
Alan Holmes wrote:
[...]

Robert -I too see little from Puce it is better to be safe than sorry.

Old 31-01-2007, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert" wrote in message
Alan Holmes wrote:
[...]

Is that 'official source' a practiacl source, or a theoretical one?