Old 28-02-2007, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pp pp is offline

Default bokashi composting

I'm not sure whether this post belongs in an environmental group or a
gardening one but has anyone tried bokashi composting and what success have
they had? I've heard it's an easier alternative to worm compost.

Phil

Old 28-02-2007, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue Sue is offline

Uh? Sorry but what is this?

Sue

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

.. .

Old 28-02-2007, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pp pp is offline

"Sue" wrote in message
Uh? Sorry but what is this?

Sue

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

"pp" wrote in message
.. .
I'm not sure whether this post belongs in an environmental group or a
gardening one but has anyone tried bokashi composting and what success
have they had? I've heard it's an easier alternative to worm compost.

Phil

It's a system where you can compost cooked foods, even fishbones, by using a
microbial bran. A lot of councils are now promoting the system as a way of
getting us to compost kitchen waste that cannot be put into ordinary compost
bins. It's supposed to be a quick, non-smelling system. My council have an
arrangement where it can bought for about half price. A good site that
explains it well is http://bokashi.com.au/index.html
Phil

Old 28-02-2007, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"pp" writes:

| It's a system where you can compost cooked foods, even fishbones, by using a
| microbial bran. A lot of councils are now promoting the system as a way of
| getting us to compost kitchen waste that cannot be put into ordinary compost
| bins. It's supposed to be a quick, non-smelling system. My council have an
| arrangement where it can bought for about half price. A good site that
| explains it well is http://bokashi.com.au/index.html

Yer whaa? I have been composting such things for years in an ordinary
heap. Fish bones break down so rapidly that I only occasionally see
any even after 6 months.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
"pp" writes:

| It's a system where you can compost cooked foods, even fishbones, by using
| microbial bran. A lot of councils are now promoting the system as a way of
| getting us to compost kitchen waste that cannot be put into ordinary
| compost
| bins. It's supposed to be a quick, non-smelling system. My council have
| an
| arrangement where it can bought for about half price. A good site that
| explains it well is
http://bokashi.com.au/index.html

Yer whaa? I have been composting such things for years in an ordinary
heap. Fish bones break down so rapidly that I only occasionally see
any even after 6 months.

Me too. Chicken bones go the same way too.
I have a heap constrained by wooden slatted sides - so it
breathes a lot. It smells a bit when turned over etc. but
otherwise its odour-free. Compost heaps, their construction
and operation seem to attract more bullshit theories
than seems strictly necessary.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Mar, 12:52, John McMillan
wrote:
In article ,
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:
Yer whaa? I have been composting such things for years in an ordinary
heap. Fish bones break down so rapidly that I only occasionally see
any even after 6 months.

Me too. Chicken bones go the same way too.
I have a heap constrained by wooden slatted sides - so it
breathes a lot. It smells a bit when turned over etc. but
otherwise its odour-free. Compost heaps, their construction
and operation seem to attract more bullshit theories
than seems strictly necessary.

)) That's not even a theory but a different way of explaining
'composting' as we all know it. Clever indeed. Check the link below -
it tells you all about what it really is. Forget the Bokashi surpise,
it's all about a bucket, a fancy bucket with a cool logo on it, and a
handfull of sawdust plus microscopic bacteria, yeasts and fungi aiding
the decomposing process which is sold as 'refill' plus a liquid (as
good as anybody's pee I'd suspect). No odour they say. Not sure about
this 'scientific' bit myself. And I'm worth it. Always.

http://www.wigglywigglers.co.uk/shop...category_id=16

Old 01-03-2007, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "pp" contains these words:

"Sue" wrote in message
Uh? Sorry but what is this?

Sue

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

"pp" wrote in message
.. .
I'm not sure whether this post belongs in an environmental group or a
gardening one but has anyone tried bokashi composting and what success
have they had? I've heard it's an easier alternative to worm compost.

Phil

It's a system where you can compost cooked foods, even fishbones, by
using a
microbial bran. A lot of councils are now promoting the system as a way of
getting us to compost kitchen waste that cannot be put into ordinary
compost
bins. It's supposed to be a quick, non-smelling system. My council have an
arrangement where it can bought for about half price. A good site that
explains it well is http://bokashi.com.au/index.html
Phil

My son uses it. It seems especially suited to small scale composting. He
has a tiny garden and keeps a small bokashi bin in the kitchen. It is
indeed quick and sweet smelling and so suited for his situation where he
hasn't really got anywhere to put a bin outside and only needs a small
amount of high quality compost - rather than the large amounts of fairly
coarse stuff which I produce.

Janet G.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Mar, 16:24, Janet Galpin wrote:
My son uses it. It seems especially suited to small scale composting. He
has a tiny garden and keeps a small bokashi bin in the kitchen. It is
indeed quick and sweet smelling and so suited for his situation where he
hasn't really got anywhere to put a bin outside and only needs a small
amount of high quality compost - rather than the large amounts of fairly
coarse stuff which I produce.

Great - it's good to hear someone's got one! The size of the 'box' is
the same as my gree 'kitchen compost' bin, which I fill and then carry
to my composts in the garden. We easily fill the bucket withiin 2
days, easy. The bokashi seems to be working very fast - and I wonder
why it does. What difference is there between the 'accelarator' we get
for ordinary compost and the bokashi stuff?!

Old 01-03-2007, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue Sue is offline

My son used to use it.

It was called his bedroom.

:-)

Sue

Old 01-03-2007, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

pp wrote:

I'm not sure whether this post belongs in an environmental group or a
gardening one but has anyone tried bokashi composting and what success have
they had? I've heard it's an easier alternative to worm compost.

We got ours a couple of weeks ago - just started using the second bin
yesterday. They were on special offer at about 30 quid less than the
usual price so Rob splashed out and bought them.

We have a wormery too but got the bins to deal with the stuff the worms
can't cope with like starchy things, citrus and onions. The worms get
all the veg scraps and peelings, the bokashi bins get the leftovers.

So far it seems to be working well. I wouldn't say it was odour*less*
but it isn't an unpleasant odour by any means - though I daresay that
depends what you put in. We're vegetarians so there are no fish bones or
meat scraps to affect the smell.

The liquid that drains off is supposed to be good for keeping the house
drains clear, and as fertiliser if you dilute it massively. I think I'll
put a cupful in my water butt at the allotment :-)

--
Carol
"Never trust a man wearing leather shorts and a plastic dressing gown"

Old 01-03-2007, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Mar, 20:41, "Sue" wrote:
My son used to use it.
It was called his bedroom.
:-)

)) I need some help here too. My first born is going on 17...! What
surprises me is that he takes the compost out but started screaming if
the lid is full of worms. Honestly ... it seems that only yesterday he
was knacked in the back garden trying to eat a beetle ;o)

Old 02-03-2007, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"pp" wrote in message
.. .
I'm not sure whether this post belongs in an environmental group or a
gardening one but has anyone tried bokashi composting and what success
have they had? I've heard it's an easier alternative to worm compost.

Phil

We are quite happy with the "Golden retriever" kitchen scraps disposal
method. It takes all manner of kitchen waste (except orange peel and
fish/chicken bones) and coverts it into compost heap accelerator which I
just shovel up from the lawn.

Mike

Old 02-03-2007, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Phil
The product that comes out of the Bokashi bin is not like regular
compost from a heap; it is wetter and is best suited to being worked
into the ground rather than the nice rich dark material you get from a
heap. The process is quick - a couple of weeks from filling the bin.
The secret is getting the right amount of activated bran into it. If
you add veg scraps it gets a little wet, adding more bran helps to
reduce this. I find there is little point in putting kitchen waste
that can go into my regular compost bin, but for products such as
meat, cooked food etc that should not go into a regular heap it is
great. I have had a white mould develope across the top of the waste
- which is apparently quite normal. Remember to drain it regully -
the liquid is clear in colour - well strawy and syrupy. The smell is
not very strong. Do close the tap after draining - if it drips it
leaves a sour milk smell!
Also remember to squash the air out after adding the scraps as the
process is anaerobic.

The bin is 18 liters in size - a good sized bucket. Doncaster council
were kind enough to offer them. Pleased they did.

Regards
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 08-03-2007, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
"La Puce" wrote:

On 1 Mar, 12:52, John McMillan
wrote:
In article ,
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:
[...]

Hmm. Its an attempt to make money by "sanitising" the process.

Not sure about
this 'scientific' bit myself.

Me neither.

And I'm worth it. Always.

clearly.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Mar, 14:34, John McMillan
wrote:
Hmm. Its an attempt to make money by "sanitising" the process.

Having said that, east London is providing large developments with the
'Rocket' a compost maker which spins endlessly and provide compost
within 2 weeks. They supply the little boxes with sachets just like
with the bokashi. It took a while to 'take off' as they didn't know
how safe it would be to use to grow food stuff. Now it's just a matter
of time before it's provided everywhere. I think it's great. I can't
help thinking of the woman who attended my garden design course last
week and had never heard of compost ... then again she was from
Portugal, but still ...

Innovative Composting. Wormeries, Bokashi Bins and Composter Mr Worms SW Marketplace 0 27-09-2012 09:20 PM
Bokashi composting [email protected] United Kingdom 1 04-07-2006 10:49 AM
Bokashi don benedetto Gardening 1 13-06-2005 06:15 AM
bokashi - A Japanese composting method. (in May RHS mag) Amber Ormerod United Kingdom 23 13-05-2004 05:12 AM
EM Bokashi (Was: A Biological Apocalypse Barely Averted) Brian Sandle Gardening 0 11-07-2003 01:56 AM