Old 10-03-2007, 08:47 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

I agree, with Jay Jay much easier to log in from your normal web browser,

you can then see the latest topics and read them or not as you wish.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Access via Google

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 23:27:14 +0000, K wrote
(in article ):

Mike Lyle writes

OE allows killfiling, which is pretty well essential for a group like
URG which is under constant attack from trolls and egos. A better reader
also allows you to killfile not just individuals but whole crossposted
groups:

Turnpike has built in rules to kill article (can't see the point), whole
threads, particular subjects or particular posters, and you can create
customised rules, for example to kill posts that are crossposted to more
than a certain number of groups, or which are more than a particular
length (eg 200 lines)

The one I use, Hogwasher (Mac only) has a similar arrangement. It is
particularly useful to killfile the trolls that crosspost to umpteen groups,
and you can also killfile the ones that are crossposted to a particular
group. It also has a rule to keep the filter permanently, or delete it if
unused for (n) days - particularly useful against the morons that continually
change their identity, and saves the killfile from growing enormously. I
occasionally use Google Groups to look up something in a group which I don't
subscribe to, nor wish to subscribe to, but I personally find the whole
usenet experience so much better through a proper newsreader.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 10-03-2007, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 9, 9:56 pm, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:
wrote:
[...]
I have emailed Google to ask them if there is a way to set up a
filter, if they say anything useful, I will email you.

The point about Google is that it's not a newsreader, it's an archive
-- that is, a website where one can read a copy of Usenet. If you
want to be able to killfile, you need a proper client-based
newsreader, which will allow actions in your own computer.

The inconvenient bit about setting up a newsreader is that you need to
find a news _server_ to feed into the reader. Teranews is a very cheap
one (a once-only payment of under four dollars); news.individual.net
costs ten euro a year, but it's rather better. You can download a news
client from the Web, or use Outlook Express, which comes free and
automatically with Windows -- it's not brilliant, but it's good enough
for most people. A small and decreasing number of ISPs run their own
news servers for their customers.

OE allows killfiling, which is pretty well essential for a group like
URG which is under constant attack from trolls and egos. A better
reader also allows you to killfile not just individuals but whole
crossposted groups: OE's mechanism for this doesn't work, and there's
no way M$ is going to make the effort to fix it.

So, in short, no: GG of its nature can't support killfiles.

PS. There are security "issues" with Outlook Express: a good reason to
use something better if you feel up to the installation, but as long as
you use it only for Usenet you won't come to harm.

Also, note that Outlook Express and Outlook are completely different.
Outlook is OK for email, but doesn't read news.

--
Mike.

Thanks for all the information Mike. I have received a letter this
morning which confirms that I won't have to killfile one person in urg
anymore as she has been ORDERED not to write in any way, shape or form
on a public group, anything libellious or inflammatory about me. A
great result so hopefully the trolling on this group by that person
will now stop, the insults to others, the lies and the foul language
Unfortunately it won't stop the bad gardening advice, but I can live
with that.

Judith

Old 10-03-2007, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Mar, 12:03, "
wrote:
Thanks for all the information Mike. I have received a letter this
morning which confirms that I won't have to killfile one person in urg
anymore as she has been ORDERED not to write in any way, shape or form
on a public group, anything libellious or inflammatory about me.

What? I can write what I want and when I want. You however cannot.
I've seen Sacha's letter and it's laughable. And if you mention, as
you've been told, my husband and my organisation once more, this will
then be more serious than you would have ever expected.

So let it rest once and for all.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 10, 12:21 pm, "La Puce" wrote:
On 10 Mar, 12:03, "

wrote:
Thanks for all the information Mike. I have received a letter this
morning which confirms that I won't have to killfile one person in urg
anymore as she has been ORDERED not to write in any way, shape or form
on a public group, anything libellious or inflammatory about me.

What? I can write what I want and when I want. You however cannot.
I've seen Sacha's letter and it's laughable. And if you mention, as
you've been told, my husband and my organisation once more, this will
then be more serious than you would have ever expected.

So let it rest once and for all.

I have no idea what you are on about, Sacha's letter??? I am talking
about the letter that Nic Falk sent to your husband, a copy of which I
have.

Mrs. Rudlin I don't have to say anymore, you know the truth of the
matter and so does everyone who matters on urg, your lying days are
done.

You are now a figure of fun.

Judith

Old 10-03-2007, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message m,
" writes

wrote:
[...]

Perhaps you would like to take this to email? It has no place here.
Then maybe we can pick up the remnants of what used to be a good ng
before people like Alan Gould left.
--
June Hughes
Old 10-03-2007, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message

Perhaps you would like to take this to email? It has no place here. Then
maybe we can pick up the remnants of what used to be a good ng before
people like Alan Gould left.
--
June Hughes

No, please don't, especially as Sacha has returned.

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 10-03-2007, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Mar, 12:37, Sacha wrote:
I don't think your 'colleague' as you grandly refer to the senior director
of URBED London, considered it a laughing matter. His reply to me indicated
as much. Try it on once more with me and I'll have a lawyer onto you for
harassment so fast, it will make your eyes water.

I've seen your letter, the publicly funded bit, the worst
advertisement, the professionals and journalists posting here, you
being the longest poster on urg blablahbla... What a lot of rubbish. I
cannot remember having a row with Charlie, nor Trevor, both quite more
professional than you. You're a liar and a silly woman but I will
grant you the last word because I pity you. So there, have it Sacha
Hubbard, have it all.

Old 10-03-2007, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Mar, 13:42, wrote:
I don't think your 'colleague' as you grandly refer to the senior director
of URBED London, considered it a laughing matter. His reply to me indicated
as much. Try it on once more with me and I'll have a lawyer onto you for
harassment so fast, it will make your eyes water.

I've seen your letter, the publicly funded bit, the worst
advertisement, the professionals and journalists posting here, you
being the longest poster on urg blablahbla... What a lot of rubbish. I
cannot remember having a row with Charlie, nor Trevor, both quite more
professional than you. You're a liar and a silly woman but I will
grant you the last word because I pity you. So there, have it Sacha
Hubbard, have it all.

David wanted to say something then changed his mind. I hadn't realised
I was still on his addy. Still, we both couldn't care less. We've
repeatedly asked you not to meniton us - but you still carry on. We
just don't understand why.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/3/07 12:54, in article , "June
Hughes" wrote:

In message m,
" writes

wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry June but under no circumstances would I email Helene Rudlin or
allow her to email me. Once a person with bad intentions has someone's
email headers, they can alter the content of the email to anything they want
to say. And as Helene has roundly abused her position both at work and on
this group to harass me and Judith Lea, it is right that the group should
know what she gets up to, both on and off group.
It would be rather more to the point if we heard your voice condemning her
disgusting behaviour, something that has yet to happen, rather than
appearing to want to sweep it under the mat.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-03-2007, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Mar, 14:54, Sacha wrote:
I'm sorry June but under no circumstances would I email Helene Rudlin

But you did, last sunday at 15.46 subject title 'My Family'. I didn't
responded though. Forwarded to you June.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 10, 12:54 pm, June Hughes
wrote:
In message m,
" writes

wrote:
[...]

June Hughes- Hide quoted text -

Your comments may have been more accurate if you had added "used to be
a good newsgroup before La Puce joined in". I am sure you read the
comments of all the well respected gardeners putting her right about
matters?

If you feel that you must comment on this posting, then may I
respectfully request that you take it to email.

Judith