Old 08-03-2007, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Access via Google

Just wondering if anyone else has to access this group via Google?
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Mar, 14:59, "Dave Hill" wrote:
Just wondering if anyone else has to access this group via Google?

I do. Why?

Old 08-03-2007, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 8 Mar, 15:18, "La Puce" wrote:
On 8 Mar, 14:59, "Dave Hill" wrote:

Just wondering if anyone else has to access this group via Google?

I do. Why?

Just wondering if there is any way to set a Killfile , I find that a
lot of the things I could do in the past you can't do with Google
David Hill

Old 08-03-2007, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 8, 5:59 pm, "Dave Hill" wrote:
Just wondering if there is any way to set a Killfile , I find that a
lot of the things I could do in the past you can't do with Google
David Hill

I have that problem Dave, on Google. I have a second private server,
Demon and it works fine on Turnpike. I also have a hospital computer
but all newsgroups are unaccessible on there as are commercial sites
so I don't need to set up a killfile as I can't access newsgroups,
either to read or reply and that applies to all NHS staff throughout
the UK.

I have emailed Google to ask them if there is a way to set up a
filter, if they say anything useful, I will email you.

Judith

Old 08-03-2007, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just wondering if anyone else has to access this group via Google?
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

David -Are you accessing the newsgroup through Google because your isp
(AOL?) does not have a news sever or one that carries uk.rec.gardening or is
it a technical problem?
Just nosey:-)

Old 08-03-2007, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Mar, 17:59, "Dave Hill" wrote:
Just wondering if there is any way to set a Killfile , I find that a
lot of the things I could do in the past you can't do with Google

No sadly. It's a pest. Especially at the moment when we seem to have a
terrible lot of crossposts and trolls. I think it's just a matter, as
far as you and I are concerned, to try to waddle through it all. It
usually dissipate eventually. As long as nobody respond - they'll get
bored. Starting new threads is also a good idea. It generates lots of
posts from us and the crossposts/trolls eventually fall behind.

When on Turnpike I could set killfile but not with google beta. Also
I'm on Outlook - I could use urg via it, I just don't want to have it
there all the time or I'll do no work!! ;o)

Old 09-03-2007, 06:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 8 Mar, 15:18, "La Puce" wrote:
On 8 Mar, 14:59, "Dave Hill" wrote:

Just wondering if anyone else has to access this group via Google?

I do. Why?

Just wondering if there is any way to set a Killfile ,

It was me mentioning my kill file that set off the present attack of troll
lunacy in a few groups I frequent so beware :-)
I don't know of any way to filter messages in Google though sorry.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 8 Mar, 19:43, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

ups.com... Just wondering if anyone else has to access this group via Google?
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

David -Are you accessing the newsgroup through Google because your isp
(AOL?) does not have a news sever or one that carries uk.rec.gardening or is
it a technical problem?
Just nosey:-)

Yes.
AOL doesn't allow access to news groups.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 09-03-2007, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com, Dave
Hill writes
On 8 Mar, 15:18, "La Puce" wrote:
On 8 Mar, 14:59, "Dave Hill" wrote:

Just wondering if anyone else has to access this group via Google?

I do. Why?

Just wondering if there is any way to set a Killfile , I find that a
lot of the things I could do in the past you can't do with Google
David Hill

This is what it says on a couple of sites David

There are many web-based news services out there, including
Google http://groups.google.com, NewsRanger
http://www.newsranger.com, and so forth. For a complete
listing, visit http://www.newsreaders.com. These are
usually free services, and have the advantage of being complete
and timely. They are searchable, and many people prefer to use
them instead of a regular news service and separate reader,
especially if the newsfeed offered by their ISP is slow or
incomplete. The drawback is that they don't have filtering
capabilities.

From what I can see, there is no method for filtering out the
posts you do not wish to see in web-based newsreaders. You
can use the advanced search options to retrieve, say, all posts
made to a specific group, but *without* specific words in
them, such as "ninnyboy".

If you use Google groups because your news server isn't
very good, you may want to try contacting your ISP and
telling
them you're unhappy with their news service and that they
need to beef it up ... or get a different ISP ... or sign up
for a good service such as NewsGuy (relatively cheap).

Otherwise, you're stuck without filtering, and have
to do it "manually" by just skipping past the posts you don't
wish to see.

Or why not get something free like Agent or another newsreader? I
wouldn't be without my killfile ability though some people tend to leave
in the whole of the message text that they are replying to, which kind
of defeats the object

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 09-03-2007, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 10:35:44 +0000, Dave Hill wrote
(in article .com):

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

ups.com... Just
wondering if anyone else has to access this group via Google?
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

David -Are you accessing the newsgroup through Google because your isp
(AOL?) does not have a news sever or one that carries uk.rec.gardening or is
it a technical problem?
Just nosey:-)

Yes.
AOL doesn't allow access to news groups.

David, is there anything to prevent you using the German news server
news.individual.net http://news.individual.net/? This is a stand-alone
package, it used to be free and is now only 10 Euros a year but well worth
while. You would then just need a newsreader - plenty out there, some free.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 09-03-2007, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]
I have emailed Google to ask them if there is a way to set up a
filter, if they say anything useful, I will email you.

The point about Google is that it's not a newsreader, it's an archive --
that is, a website where one can read a copy of Usenet. If you want to
be able to killfile, you need a proper client-based newsreader, which
will allow actions in your own computer.

The inconvenient bit about setting up a newsreader is that you need to
find a news _server_ to feed into the reader. Teranews is a very cheap
one (a once-only payment of under four dollars); news.individual.net
costs ten euro a year, but it's rather better. You can download a news
client from the Web, or use Outlook Express, which comes free and
automatically with Windows -- it's not brilliant, but it's good enough
for most people. A small and decreasing number of ISPs run their own
news servers for their customers.

OE allows killfiling, which is pretty well essential for a group like
URG which is under constant attack from trolls and egos. A better reader
also allows you to killfile not just individuals but whole crossposted
groups: OE's mechanism for this doesn't work, and there's no way M$ is
going to make the effort to fix it.

So, in short, no: GG of its nature can't support killfiles.

--
Mike.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Lyle wrote:
wrote:
[...]
[...]

PS. There are security "issues" with Outlook Express: a good reason to
use something better if you feel up to the installation, but as long as
you use it only for Usenet you won't come to harm.

Also, note that Outlook Express and Outlook are completely different.
Outlook is OK for email, but doesn't read news.

--
Mike.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Mike Lyle writes

OE allows killfiling, which is pretty well essential for a group like
URG which is under constant attack from trolls and egos. A better reader
also allows you to killfile not just individuals but whole crossposted
groups:

Turnpike has built in rules to kill article (can't see the point), whole
threads, particular subjects or particular posters, and you can create
customised rules, for example to kill posts that are crossposted to more
than a certain number of groups, or which are more than a particular
length (eg 200 lines)
--
Kay
Old 10-03-2007, 07:35 AM
Registered User

Location: south west france

[or switch to an ISP, that fits in with the rest of the world?]
Martin[/quote]

Or why not just access through Garden Banter - wots so wrong with it? I find it easy to use (you can quickly scroll through posts and replies) and if I don't want to read a particular person's reply/posting, I just ignore it. I sort of know the longer a thread generally, the 'worse' it gets so I don't read those, or skip to the last post to see how its developed. I'm just a beginner gardener so I tend to read more than respond, but I've learnt an awful lot, laughed a lot (especially when Sacha is/was on good form) and would like to think I still belong, despite accessing through Gardenbanter. I have tried accessing URG through a newsgroup twice, but each time, despite our excellent anti-virus protection, something got through leading to major repair. So I'm sticking to Garden Banter....
Old 10-03-2007, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

al.net...

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

[...]

I switched to them after years of missing posts with tiscalli and I must say
its been very good since, not quite free but almost!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk