Old 29-03-2007, 02:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Killer bees!

I didn't think they lived in the UK, but I've seen them in my garden
and I don't want to die!

How do I get rid of them?
Old 29-03-2007, 06:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Patty wrote in message ...
I didn't think they lived in the UK, but I've seen them in my garden
and I don't want to die!

How do I get rid of them?

how do you know or recognise killer bees.............

Old 29-03-2007, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Patty wrote in message ...
I didn't think they lived in the UK, but I've seen them in my garden
and I don't want to die!

99% of people die in bed. Don't go there.

Steve

Old 29-03-2007, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pongo Potts" wrote in message

Patty wrote in message
I didn't think they lived in the UK, but I've seen them in my garden
and I don't want to die!

How do I get rid of them?

how do you know or recognise killer bees.............

Easily identifiable by the large bloodied knife carried by the bees and the
unmistakable tune from Psycho (sp) playing across the garden.

Quick, run away!!

Old 29-03-2007, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote:

99% of people die in bed.

Within days of eating mashed potatoes, too.

Old 29-03-2007, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Haha!....... I very, very rarely eat mashed potatoes .... so I'm safe !!!!

Seriously, how do you know they are killer bees? I thought these were a
tropical/semi-tropical variety?

(Asking as someone who is completely irrationally and childishly scared of
anything with wings and black and yellow stripes, and who thankfully lives
in a temperate country where most insects and spiders are relatively
innocuous ....!!)

Barb

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"shazzbat" wrote:

99% of people die in bed.

Within days of eating mashed potatoes, too.

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

Old 29-03-2007, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Barb" wrote:

Seriously, how do you know they are killer bees?

The person is an obvious troll; probably the same character that
periodically posts "I found an unexploded bomb in my garden; what should I
do?"

Short of DNA testing, you can't tell; the Africanized honeybee is a cross
between the friendly Italians and some unpleasant Africans. And last I
heard, not at all cold-hardy, so not an issue in Northern U.S. or the U.K.

But I can't do much outdoors yet, so this is a nice diversion. I was going
to stake out my pop-up greenhouse, but the wind is coming up and maybe I'll
wait, so as not to do my Mary Poppins impression.

Old 29-03-2007, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

.... I can relate to your last paragraph. Yesterday was the most glorious
day - I live near Cannock Chase and went for a long walk, in just my tshirt
(..... and other clothes as well, of course ... !!... ;-) )

But today it's cold, and I'm putting off getting out in the garden until it
warms up again. I hope we have a nice weekend ... loads to do!

I think this group is cool!

Barb

Old 29-03-2007, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Barb" wrote:

But today it's cold, and I'm putting off getting out in the garden until it
warms up again.

To expand on that a bit: The forecast warming trend has been _very_
altitude* dependent here; the forecast upper 50s will here barely, maybe,
make 40. That combined with stiff breezes, makes it a mite chilly for the
light "hoodie" I've been bumming around in of late.

*I'm at 1400 feet above sea level.
I'm not gonna convert all those numbers; my brain is too chilled.

Old 29-03-2007, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gary Woods wrote:
"Barb" wrote:

Seriously, how do you know they are killer bees?

The person is an obvious troll; probably the same character that
periodically posts "I found an unexploded bomb in my garden; what
should I do?"

Short of DNA testing, you can't tell; the Africanized honeybee is a
cross between the friendly Italians and some unpleasant Africans.
And last I heard, not at all cold-hardy, so not an issue in Northern
U.S. or the U.K.

snip

I beleive there is a small difference in wing size/construction. So, as you
say, us mere mortals can't tell.
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 02-04-2007, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:44:05 +0100, "Barb"
wrote:

Haha!....... I very, very rarely eat mashed potatoes .... so I'm safe !!!!

Seriously, how do you know they are killer bees? I thought these were a
tropical/semi-tropical variety?

(Asking as someone who is completely irrationally and childishly scared of
anything with wings and black and yellow stripes, and who thankfully lives
in a temperate country where most insects and spiders are relatively
innocuous ....!!)

Barb

Hi,

Such things as you describe are usually called wasps!

Roy
--
Roy.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,