Old 04-04-2007, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Absence of neighbour: cutting of hedge?

Justin Thyme wrote:

If you have a copse,

*Boing!*

orchard or arboretum could the same restrictions apply?

Oh. No 'r'. Wake up, Greg.

Greg
--

Have you ever really considered how much your buildings actually weigh?

No ficus = no spam
Old 04-04-2007, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 3, 6:19 pm, Rhiannon Macfie Miller
wrote:
I'd still ideally like to get it taken out altogether (and replaced with
a low fence or a pretty hedge), but I don't want to pay the tree
surgeons twice (once to cut and once to take out). I might therefore
wait until the neighbours move in and talk it over with them, and see if
they're amenable to a change in boundary.

You don't need to pay tree surgeons to take out six foot high
lleylandii. It's a quite easy DIY job. Trimming a 20 foot hedge back
to six foot is a rather different exercise, and while I might try it,
I can see the arguments in favour of paying a tree surgeon.

I would get it trimmed to 6' now (not 6-7, you want room for it to
grow up a bit, and 6' is /much/ easier to trim with a hedge trimmer
and step ladder).

To remove the 6' stumps,
1. Use a bow saw to cut off side branches.
2. Dig around the base, use a hand axe to cut roots, and use the
trunk as a lever to expose the next root to cut.
Do NOT cut the trunk down near ground level - you'll never get the
stump out.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:56 AM
rig rig is offline
Registered User

Talking

unfortunatly even tho the house is empty the estate agent owns it or somebody else like the previous owners you CAN'T cut it down without legal liabilitys but i'm sure no body would mind aslong as they don't see you doing it because then they might of thought they fancied it there.
The complete legal way to do it is get a soliciter.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

. ..

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/68464

Old 04-04-2007, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Justin Thyme
writes

"

I would not regard a row of Leylandi type trees as a hedge.

It certainly is considered so within the 'high hedges' legislation (but
that doesn't apply AFAIK here, as the OP is in Scotland)
--

When does a group of trees become a hedge?

The legislation defines what is considered a hedge for it's purposes,
basically a line of 2 or more (or maybe more than 2) trees spaced
closely together. You can look it up easily enough if you are
interested.

Even if they are clearly set
back from the boundary and maybe mixed species, they will still have the
same light blocking effect. If you have a copse, orchard or arboretum could
the same restrictions apply?

No.
--
Chris French

Old 04-04-2007, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"p.k." wrote in message
Rhiannon Macfie Miller wrote:
At the bottom of my garden (the south end) is a Leylandii-type hedge.
When we moved in two years ago it was already a little higher than I'd
have liked, and we've not had time to do anything about it up till
now; the neighbours to the side of us also told us that the people on
the other side of the hedge had argued with the previous owner about
the hedge, which made us chary of approaching them about it.
Recently we've had more time, but the hedge is now too high for us to
feel comfortable cutting ourselves, and so I'd be looking to get a
professional in to cut it.

Finally, today, I went round to the house to ask permission to reduce
the height of the hedge. There was nobody there, and no furniture
visible through the windows either. Further investigation on the net
revealed that the house has recently been listed for sale, and has
therefore presumably just been sold. So, my question is: do I quickly
get the hedge cut before someone moves in, or should I wait an
unspecified amount of time in the hope that the new neighbour will be
amenable to a lower chop or complete removal of the hedge?

Rhiannon

who owns the hedge?

Does it matter?

If it were on my boundary and was being an obstruction, I'd cut the bloody
thing down.

Alan

pk

Old 04-04-2007, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"K" wrote ((snip)).

If it's her hedge, then the neighbour can invoke the high hedges
legislation and ask for it to be cut back.

Yes but that costs the aggrieved party £400+. non-refundable to get the
local Council to just look at it. Some might not have that sort of money
to throw at the problem without a guaranteed outcome in their favour.

If the house is empty and the new owners are not yet present, I would just
cut it down, when it is done, it is done!

Alan

Old 04-04-2007, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"PB" wrote in message
[...]

Have a look he
http://www.communities.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1127869
It gives some information but like most things leaves out the bits you
really want. I doubt you can legally enter your neighbours property and
chop down his trees, but once they are down, who is going to argue?

Exactly!

Alan

Old 04-04-2007, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 3/4/07 18:19, in article ,
"Rhiannon
| Macfie Miller" wrote:
|
| According to the deeds I have, we have 'sole responsibility' for
| maintaining that particular boundary, which I assume means that it's
| ours. However, whether the new neighbours know this is another
matterŠ

| If it's yours, you can do what you like, as long as you don't harm your
| neighbour's property. They might prefer the mess to be out of the way
| *before* they move in! Perhaps you could ask the estate agents either
| inform them of what you're planning or for their contact address so
that you
| can tell them yourself.

But that condition is only HALF the story - the hedge must also have
been planted on the owner's property, and not under an arrangement with
the other people. It is common for property A to have sole responsibility
for a boundary, but the actual hedge to have been planted by the owners of
and on property B and the boundary described in the deeds not to exist as
a construction any longer.

So, IF the deeds say that AND it is on your property, any reasonable
person would assume that it is yours, in the absence of other evidence.
And then I would just go ahead. But DO check where it is planted first!

But it would be very easy to make a mistake and assume the trees are on your
land!(:-)

Alan

Old 04-04-2007, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

George wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 14:45:22 GMT, "zaax"
wrote:

George wrote:

On 2 Apr 2007 13:35:02 -0700, "
wrote:

I asked a friend tonight who came to supper, he is a lawyer, he

says you can reduce the height of the hedge now to 6 feet (or
was that 2 metres).

********.

And if a neighbour were to set foot on my land and hack at my

hedge, I would empty a double-barrel shotgun in his face.

So you have a fire arms licence

Yes.

and your threatening people with a shot gun.

I'm not threatening anyone.

I hope one of your neighbours (or your local plod) doesn't read this
group, he might feel threatened.

--
zaax

Old 04-04-2007, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/4/07 16:51, in article , "Alan
Holmes" wrote:

snip

But it would be very easy to make a mistake and assume the trees are on your
land!(:-)

Alan

Come on, Alan, don't be silly. Giving bad advice isn't a good thing to do.
If Rhiannon breaks the law, even unwittingly, she could be in trouble.
She's obviously going to some trouble NOT to hurt, offend, upset her new
neighbours and the advice she's been given to gather all the facts and act
accordingly is good.
Encouraging anyone to do something that is potentially going to land them in
hot water and put them on a bad footing with brand new neighbours is neither
wise nor kind. They're living there, you're not and to them, it is not a
game or a moment's entertainment on a newsgroup.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-04-2007, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

chris French writes
In message , Justin Thyme
writes

"

I would not regard a row of Leylandi type trees as a hedge.

It certainly is considered so within the 'high hedges' legislation (but
that doesn't apply AFAIK here, as the OP is in Scotland)
--

When does a group of trees become a hedge?

The legislation defines what is considered a hedge for it's purposes,
basically a line of 2 or more (or maybe more than 2) trees spaced
closely together. You can look it up easily enough if you are interested.

*Evergreen* trees. Deciduous don't count.
--
Kay
Old 04-04-2007, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
chris French writes
In message , Justin Thyme
writes

"

I would not regard a row of Leylandi type trees as a hedge.

It certainly is considered so within the 'high hedges' legislation (but
that doesn't apply AFAIK here, as the OP is in Scotland)
--

When does a group of trees become a hedge?

The legislation defines what is considered a hedge for it's purposes,
basically a line of 2 or more (or maybe more than 2) trees spaced
closely together. You can look it up easily enough if you are interested.

*Evergreen* trees. Deciduous don't count.

Ahh yes, Thankyou Kay
--
Chris French

Old 04-04-2007, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 06:10:40 +0100, "Pongo Potts"
wrote:

"George" wrote in message
.. .
On 2 Apr 2007 13:35:02 -0700, "
wrote:

I asked a friend tonight who came to supper, he is a lawyer, he

says
you can reduce the height of the hedge now to 6 feet (or was that 2
metres).

********.

And if a neighbour were to set foot on my land and hack at my

hedge, I
would empty a double-barrel shotgun in his face.

yes, sure you would.............

Try it...

Where do you live?

--
Mike.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 4, 7:39 pm, chris French
wrote:
In message , K
writes

chris French writes
In message , Justin Thyme
writes

"

I would not regard a row of Leylandi type trees as a hedge.

It certainly is considered so within the 'high hedges' legislation (but
that doesn't apply AFAIK here, as the OP is in Scotland)
--

When does a group of trees become a hedge?

The legislation defines what is considered a hedge for it's purposes,
basically a line of 2 or more (or maybe more than 2) trees spaced
closely together. You can look it up easily enough if you are interested.

*Evergreen* trees. Deciduous don't count.

Ahh yes, Thankyou Kay
--
Chris French- Hide quoted text -

Chris, how are Helen and the children, it's a long time since we had
that urg meet?

Judith