Old 04-04-2007, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Absence of neighbour: cutting of hedge?

Mike Lyle wrote:
"George" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 06:10:40 +0100, "Pongo Potts"
wrote:

"George" wrote in message
On 2 Apr 2007 13:35:02 -0700, "
wrote:

I asked a friend tonight who came to supper, he is a lawyer, he
says you can reduce the height of the hedge now to 6 feet (or was
that 2 metres).

********.

And if a neighbour were to set foot on my land and hack at my
hedge, I would empty a double-barrel shotgun in his face.

yes, sure you would.............

Try it...

Where do you live?

--
Mike.

OK coral....take two
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 05-04-2007, 12:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Justin Thyme wrote:

"Gregoire Kretz" wrote in message
. ..
If you have a copse,

*Boing!*

orchard or arboretum could the same restrictions apply?

Oh. No 'r'. Wake up, Greg.
--

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/68464

Well what do you expect?! It was early in the morning!
Next you're going to tell me those people in the TV can't really see
me...

Greg
--

Have you ever really considered how much your buildings actually weigh?

No ficus = no spam
Old 05-04-2007, 02:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 15:51:13 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 3/4/07 18:19, in article ,
"Rhiannon
| Macfie Miller" wrote:
|
| According to the deeds I have, we have 'sole responsibility' for
| maintaining that particular boundary, which I assume means that it's
| ours. However, whether the new neighbours know this is another
matterŠ

| If it's yours, you can do what you like, as long as you don't harm your
| neighbour's property. They might prefer the mess to be out of the way
| *before* they move in! Perhaps you could ask the estate agents either
| inform them of what you're planning or for their contact address so
that you
| can tell them yourself.

But that condition is only HALF the story - the hedge must also have
been planted on the owner's property, and not under an arrangement with
the other people. It is common for property A to have sole responsibility
for a boundary, but the actual hedge to have been planted by the owners of
and on property B and the boundary described in the deeds not to exist as
a construction any longer.

So, IF the deeds say that AND it is on your property, any reasonable
person would assume that it is yours, in the absence of other evidence.
And then I would just go ahead. But DO check where it is planted first!

But it would be very easy to make a mistake and assume the trees are on your
land!(:-)

It would also be very easy to mistake the trespasser armed with an axe
to cut down those trees with some nutter who wishes to murder my
family. Both barrels in the face, problem solved (:-)
Old 05-04-2007, 02:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 14:45:31 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"p.k." wrote in message
Rhiannon Macfie Miller wrote:
At the bottom of my garden (the south end) is a Leylandii-type hedge.
When we moved in two years ago it was already a little higher than I'd
have liked, and we've not had time to do anything about it up till
now; the neighbours to the side of us also told us that the people on
the other side of the hedge had argued with the previous owner about
the hedge, which made us chary of approaching them about it.
Recently we've had more time, but the hedge is now too high for us to
feel comfortable cutting ourselves, and so I'd be looking to get a
professional in to cut it.

Finally, today, I went round to the house to ask permission to reduce
the height of the hedge. There was nobody there, and no furniture
visible through the windows either. Further investigation on the net
revealed that the house has recently been listed for sale, and has
therefore presumably just been sold. So, my question is: do I quickly
get the hedge cut before someone moves in, or should I wait an
unspecified amount of time in the hope that the new neighbour will be
amenable to a lower chop or complete removal of the hedge?

Rhiannon

who owns the hedge?

Does it matter?

If it were on my boundary and was being an obstruction, I'd cut the bloody
thing down.

Wrong. If you entered my property intent on criminal damage I'd cut
YOU down. And you'd never do it again.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 20:24:32 +0100, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

"George" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 06:10:40 +0100, "Pongo Potts"
wrote:

"George" wrote in message
.. .
On 2 Apr 2007 13:35:02 -0700, "
wrote:

I asked a friend tonight who came to supper, he is a lawyer, he

says
you can reduce the height of the hedge now to 6 feet (or was that 2
metres).

********.

And if a neighbour were to set foot on my land and hack at my

hedge, I
would empty a double-barrel shotgun in his face.

yes, sure you would.............

Try it...

Where do you live?

What's it got to do with you?

Old 05-04-2007, 02:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 16:46:52 GMT, "zaax"
wrote:

George wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 14:45:22 GMT, "zaax"
wrote:

George wrote:

On 2 Apr 2007 13:35:02 -0700, "
wrote:

I asked a friend tonight who came to supper, he is a lawyer, he

says you can reduce the height of the hedge now to 6 feet (or
was that 2 metres).

********.

And if a neighbour were to set foot on my land and hack at my

hedge, I would empty a double-barrel shotgun in his face.

So you have a fire arms licence

Yes.

and your threatening people with a shot gun.

I'm not threatening anyone.

I hope one of your neighbours (or your local plod) doesn't read this
group, he might feel threatened.

If they don't trespass on my property with the intent of causing
criminal damage then they have no need to feel threatened. Otherwise,
they will pay with their lives. Simple as that.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 15:46:31 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"K" wrote ((snip)).

If it's her hedge, then the neighbour can invoke the high hedges
legislation and ask for it to be cut back.

Yes but that costs the aggrieved party £400+. non-refundable to get the
local Council to just look at it. Some might not have that sort of money
to throw at the problem without a guaranteed outcome in their favour.

If the house is empty and the new owners are not yet present, I would just
cut it down, when it is done, it is done!

What are you, a peeping tom? Why can't others respect people's wishes
for privacy?
Old 05-04-2007, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Wouldn't the old owners have had to confess to the difference of opinion
on the hedge whilst they lived there/ I thought you had to tell the new
owners all about altercations etc? Therefore you could go to the Estate
Agent and ask him to pass on a message about the hedge once contracts
have been exchanged.
I went to the estate agents of the house next door between tenants and
asked if I could trim back the hedge as they never cut it in four years.
They were happy for me to do it and I was able to hack through 180 foot
of overgrown hawthorn in peace and quiet!

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 05-04-2007, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"George" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 06:10:40 +0100, "Pongo Potts"
wrote:

"George" wrote in message

[...]
And if a neighbour were to set foot on my land and hack at my
hedge, I would empty a double-barrel shotgun in his face.

yes, sure you would.............

Try it...

Where do you live?

What's it got to do with you?

Well, I might be one of your neighbours. I thought you were issuing an
invitation.

--
Mike.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 5, 12:45 am, (Gregoire Kretz) wrote:
Justin Thyme wrote:
"Gregoire Kretz" wrote in message
If you have a copse,

*Boing!*

orchard or arboretum could the same restrictions apply?

Oh. No 'r'. Wake up, Greg.
--

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/68464

Well what do you expect?! It was early in the morning!
Next you're going to tell me those people in the TV can't really see
me...

Greg
--

Have you ever really considered how much your buildings actually weigh?

No ficus = no spam

Careful Greg, someone might tell you to put a tin foil hat on!!!

Judith

Old 05-04-2007, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris
Whilst I agree with the definition of the hedge - the one criteria is
that it has to be evergreen - thus excluding deciduous trees /
shrubs. The regulations were brought in on the back of complaints to
deal with leylandiihedges but high beech hedges ok - same height yew
hedge cut down
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire
who is quite happy with the neighbours 30ft heigh holy trees (all male
unfortunately) at the end of the garden

Old 07-04-2007, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gregoire Kretz wrote:
Are you certain the house has been sold?

Yes, absolutely, because yesterday we got a letter through the door from
the council saying that the new owners were planning to build an
extension to the house and did we have any objections? I doubt we will
but I'll try and get a peek at the plans anyway: they might want to do
something really ugly in which case I'd rather have the hedge!

Rhiannon
Old 07-04-2007, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rhiannon Macfie Miller writes:
| Gregoire Kretz wrote:
| Are you certain the house has been sold?
|
| Yes, absolutely, because yesterday we got a letter through the door from
| the council saying that the new owners were planning to build an
| extension to the house and did we have any objections? I doubt we will
| but I'll try and get a peek at the plans anyway: they might want to do
| something really ugly in which case I'd rather have the hedge!

I STRONGLY recommend doing so, and negotiating with the new owners.
You will never be in a stronger position. If it looks ghastly,
you could reasonably ask for a tall hedge of a different type.
Or whatever.

And don't assume that, because the plans say X, they will even TRY
to do X. Get a commitment in writing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/4/07 17:55, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Rhiannon Macfie Miller writes:
| Gregoire Kretz wrote:
| Are you certain the house has been sold?
|
| Yes, absolutely, because yesterday we got a letter through the door from
| the council saying that the new owners were planning to build an
| extension to the house and did we have any objections? I doubt we will
| but I'll try and get a peek at the plans anyway: they might want to do
| something really ugly in which case I'd rather have the hedge!

I STRONGLY recommend doing so, and negotiating with the new owners.
You will never be in a stronger position. If it looks ghastly,
you could reasonably ask for a tall hedge of a different type.
Or whatever.

And don't assume that, because the plans say X, they will even TRY
to do X. Get a commitment in writing.

Wot he sez. And underlined. This is the perfect time to produce
negotiating points! Will the extension take light or privacy from you would
be my first concern. After that, all is up to delicate negotiations and
diplomacy. "You're thinking of adding an extension? How interesting. We
were just thinking the hedge needs ripping out."
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk