Old 05-04-2007, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Russian vine

In article . com,
"La Puce" writes:
| On 5 Apr, 14:25, Serena Blanchflower
| wrote:
| I'd go for a number of smaller climbers, so that you can have interest
| at different times of the year. On a similar length of fence in my
| garden, I've got honeysuckle, a couple of roses, jasmine, japonica and
| a couple of different clematis.
|
| What's a 'Japonica'?

Chaenomeles. All of C. japonica, C. speciosa and C. x superba are
commonly called Japanese quince or japonica.

That's English names for you :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Apr, 16:17, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
| What's a 'Japonica'?

Chaenomeles. All of C. japonica, C. speciosa and C. x superba are
commonly called Japanese quince or japonica.

Thank you. I thought Serena missed something before 'japonica' and I
started going through all the 'japonica' I knew. I didn't know you
called a Chaenomeles just 'Japonica'. I have a lovely one which I have
rescued. It really is a slow grower but it is, with the ribes and the
rhodo the firstspring colours of our garden. It's so delicate and
against the white wall it is just so perfect.

That's English names for you :-)

Well yes! You say Snapdragon, I say Wolf's Head ... (Antirrhinum
majus).

Old 05-04-2007, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

* Nick Maclaren wrote, On 05/04/2007 16:17:
In article . com,
"La Puce" writes:
| On 5 Apr, 14:25, Serena Blanchflower
| wrote:
| I'd go for a number of smaller climbers, so that you can have interest
| at different times of the year. On a similar length of fence in my
| garden, I've got honeysuckle, a couple of roses, jasmine, japonica and
| a couple of different clematis.
|
| What's a 'Japonica'?

Chaenomeles. All of C. japonica, C. speciosa and C. x superba are
commonly called Japanese quince or japonica.

That's English names for you :-)

g Thanks Nick.

--
Cheers, Serena

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind (John
F Kennedy)
Old 05-04-2007, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

* La Puce wrote, On 05/04/2007 16:34:
On 5 Apr, 16:17, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
| What's a 'Japonica'?

Chaenomeles. All of C. japonica, C. speciosa and C. x superba are
commonly called Japanese quince or japonica.

Thank you. I thought Serena missed something before 'japonica' and I
started going through all the 'japonica' I knew. I didn't know you
called a Chaenomeles just 'Japonica'. I have a lovely one which I have
rescued. It really is a slow grower but it is, with the ribes and the
rhodo the firstspring colours of our garden. It's so delicate and
against the white wall it is just so perfect.

Yes, that does sound lovely. As well as the standard darkish pink one
I've got on the fence mentioned earlier, I've got a couple of white
ones on the front wall, which are very striking.

--
Cheers, Serena

I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a
week, sometimes, to make it up. (Mark Twain)
Old 05-04-2007, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Serena Blanchflower writes:

| Yes, that does sound lovely. As well as the standard darkish pink one
| I've got on the fence mentioned earlier, I've got a couple of white
| ones on the front wall, which are very striking.

I have C. speciosa, "scarlet and gold" (very impressive), "nivalis"
(white) and "geisha girl" (peach). All produce edible fruit, too!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

* Nick Maclaren wrote, On 05/04/2007 20:34:
In article ,
Serena Blanchflower writes:

| Yes, that does sound lovely. As well as the standard darkish pink one
| I've got on the fence mentioned earlier, I've got a couple of white
| ones on the front wall, which are very striking.

I have C. speciosa, "scarlet and gold" (very impressive), "nivalis"
(white) and "geisha girl" (peach). All produce edible fruit, too!

My white ones are Nivalis but I'm not sure what the pink one is.

--
Cheers, Serena

Sometimes I think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 4/4/07 14:04, in article ,
"Derek Turner" wrote:

Renee wrote:
Could anyone tell me where I could get hold of a Russian vine? I'm
told they cover fences superbly.

many thanks in advance

By the bottom of the stem and pull hard to uproot it!

They cover fences, gates, sheds houses and entire villages in one
growing season. Really best avoided.

As is Renee, who has been trolling in uk.food. You have been warned.

I didn't agree with much of what Renee said but she certainly isn't a
troll.
Why not just let her be?
--
June Hughes
Old 06-04-2007, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Sacha
writes
On 4/4/07 14:04, in article ,
"Derek Turner" wrote:

Renee wrote:
Could anyone tell me where I could get hold of a Russian vine? I'm
told they cover fences superbly.

many thanks in advance

By the bottom of the stem and pull hard to uproot it!

They cover fences, gates, sheds houses and entire villages in one
growing season. Really best avoided.

As is Renee, who has been trolling in uk.food. You have been warned.

I didn't agree with much of what Renee said but she certainly isn't a
troll.
Why not just let her be?

Ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I see Sacha is spreading poison here too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only person who trolls is the nasty bitch Sacha who is never happy until
she is causing problems and crying TROLL!!!

You can pack it in Sacha. I won't let you get away with it here too.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Turner" wrote:

Renee wrote:
Could anyone tell me where I could get hold of a Russian vine? I'm
told they cover fences superbly.

many thanks in advance

By the bottom of the stem and pull hard to uproot it!

They cover fences, gates, sheds houses and entire villages in one
growing season. Really best avoided.

As is Renee, who has been trolling in uk.food. You have been warned.

I didn't agree with much of what Renee said but she certainly isn't a
troll.
Why not just let her be?

Ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I see Sacha is spreading poison here too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only person who trolls is the nasty bitch Sacha who is never happy
until she is causing problems and crying TROLL!!!

You can pack it in Sacha. I won't let you get away with it here too.

Just an addition..... What part of :

Renee wrote:
Could anyone tell me where I could get hold of a Russian vine? I'm
told they cover fences superbly.

many thanks in advance

Sounds like a troll?

Old 06-04-2007, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Renee wrote:
Could anyone tell me where I could get hold of a Russian vine? I'm
told they cover fences superbly.

many thanks in advance

Sounds like a troll?

That's enough Ophelia, you are a VERY infrequent poster here, don't
bring your private quarrel with anyone to urg, it won't work, we are
sick to the teeth of some having a bash at Sacha,. It is so obvious
to everyone that you and June flounced off the food group and blamed
Sacha, and here we go again, you both come in, TOGETHER, and start
immediately bashing her, You have shamed yourself for getting involved
in this put up job. Now stop it or go elsewhere if you want a fight
because urg won't put up with it from you. You won't get a reply from
me on this Ophelia, you have joined your friend in the kill-file.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com,
" writes

That's enough Ophelia, you are a VERY infrequent poster here, don't
bring your private quarrel with anyone to urg, it won't work, we are
sick to the teeth of some having a bash at Sacha,. It is so obvious
to everyone that you and June flounced off the food group and blamed
Sacha, and here we go again, you both come in, TOGETHER, and start
immediately bashing her, You have shamed yourself for getting involved
in this put up job. Now stop it or go elsewhere if you want a fight
because urg won't put up with it from you. You won't get a reply from
me on this Ophelia, you have joined your friend in the kill-file.

Excuse me Judith - I have been here _all the time_. Nothing is a
'put-up-job'. I didn't agree with Renee's views in ukfd but her post
here was a genuine one, with no hint of troll. We have had to put up
with very bad behaviour from Sacha, which has brought ukfd to its knees.
IIRC, it was she who flounced out of urg only a few months ago. May I
also remind you that anyone can post on Usenet and unless you put them
in your kill-file, you cannot stop them. So, please, stop being so high
handed. Many thanks.
--
June Hughes
Old 07-04-2007, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Well, well, well, I come back from a wonderful cruise in the Caribbean and
what do I see? The name of Sacha in the midst of another row!!!

Some things never change do they?

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 07-04-2007, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message .com,
" writes

That's enough Ophelia, you are a VERY infrequent poster here, don't
bring your private quarrel with anyone to urg, it won't work, we are
sick to the teeth of some having a bash at Sacha,. It is so obvious
to everyone that you and June flounced off the food group and blamed
Sacha, and here we go again, you both come in, TOGETHER, and start
immediately bashing her, You have shamed yourself for getting involved
in this put up job. Now stop it or go elsewhere if you want a fight
because urg won't put up with it from you. You won't get a reply from
me on this Ophelia, you have joined your friend in the kill-file.

Hmm I have just seen this as you are in my killfile.

Who do you think you are?

Old 07-04-2007, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4 Apr, 14:52, "Renee" wrote:
Could anyone tell me where I could get hold of a Russian vine? I'm
told they cover fences superbly.

many thanks in advance

Any garden centre, but beware, they grow rapidly, the name 'mile a
minute vine' is very apt and the stems, once they touch the ground,
root very easily, they produce a very heavy growth, and unless you
fence is very sound the weight will cause it to collapse. You MUST
keep it well trimmed otherwise it will take over.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 7, 10:54 am, "Mike in Spain"
wrote:
On 4 Apr, 14:52, "Renee" wrote:

Could anyone tell me where I could get hold of a Russian vine? I'm
told they cover fences superbly.

many thanks in advance

Any garden centre, but beware, they grow rapidly, the name 'mile a
minute vine' is very apt and the stems, once they touch the ground,
root very easily, they produce a very heavy growth, and unless you
fence is very sound the weight will cause it to collapse. You MUST
keep it well trimmed otherwise it will take over.

When we lived in the City,our neighbour took her neighbour to Court,
after several attempts of asking to keep it in control, dreadful
business because the Russian Vine wouldn't stop growing at the
boundary of the gardens!!! When neighbour 1 came back from holiday,
she found it had marched and taken root in her own garden.

Judith

Japanese Knotweed x Russian Vine Stewart Robert Hinsley United Kingdom 5 16-10-2008 10:11 AM
Russian Vine - can it be killed off? ADH United Kingdom 3 10-06-2006 02:07 AM
Russian Vine Capt T United Kingdom 4 29-07-2005 01:06 PM
Growth habit of Clematis armandii (was Russian Vine (Polygonum baldschuanicum)) Hussein M. United Kingdom 0 10-04-2003 12:20 AM
Russian Vine (Polygonum baldschuanicum) iamhere United Kingdom 15 09-04-2003 06:56 PM