Old 14-04-2007, 07:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default First swallows this year

I've been out in my vegetable garden all week and yesterday, Friday
13th, I saw the first swallows of this year - here in S E Ireland. I
recognised the familiar twittering overhead and when I looked up there
was this pair of swallows racing along.
Early, isn't it?. After a week of warm, calm, dry weather, surely
summer is here now.

Old 14-04-2007, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi fruitbat

On 13 Apr 2007 23:42:44 -0700, "fruitbat" wrote:

I've been out in my vegetable garden all week and yesterday, Friday
13th, I saw the first swallows of this year - here in S E Ireland. I
recognised the familiar twittering overhead and when I looked up there
was this pair of swallows racing along.
Early, isn't it?. After a week of warm, calm, dry weather, surely
summer is here now.

I was fairly sure that I saw a lone swallow sitting on the overhead
wires on Thursday..... but I didn't 'believe' it until your
posting.....

We're out in the SW of Ireland, near Ballydehob - and it's certainly
been dry for a couple of weeks - the newly-planted bare-root hedging
is starting to look a bit desperate !

Makes a change from all that rain we had from October to March,
though!

Regards
Adrian
Old 14-04-2007, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 14 Apr, 08:01, Adrian wrote:
[...]

Our first here in South Wales was on Wednesday, going like the
clappers due North, it was the same day that we had a Red Kite going
over at no more than 100ft, the first I've seen here for 3 years.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 14-04-2007, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"fruitbat" wrote in a message:
I've been out in my vegetable garden all week and yesterday, Friday
13th, I saw the first swallows of this year - here in S E Ireland. I
recognised the familiar twittering overhead and when I looked up there
was this pair of swallows racing along.
Early, isn't it?. After a week of warm, calm, dry weather, surely
summer is here now.

---
I always look forward to seeing my first swallow in April, usually around
the 14th. in Northamptonshire. On Friday 13th. I spotted a willow warbler
in my next door neighbour's garden. Yes, summer must be here.

MikeCT

Old 14-04-2007, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"fruitbat" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've been out in my vegetable garden all week and yesterday, Friday
13th, I saw the first swallows of this year - here in S E Ireland. I
recognised the familiar twittering overhead and when I looked up there
was this pair of swallows racing along.
Early, isn't it?. After a week of warm, calm, dry weather, surely
summer is here now.

our swallows in Gloucestershire seem to come the same time regardless of the
weather, April 11 this year, great to see them isn't it :-)

Old 14-04-2007, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message

"fruitbat" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've been out in my vegetable garden all week and yesterday, Friday
13th, I saw the first swallows of this year - here in S E Ireland. I
recognised the familiar twittering overhead and when I looked up there
was this pair of swallows racing along.
Early, isn't it?. After a week of warm, calm, dry weather, surely
summer is here now.

our swallows in Gloucestershire seem to come the same time regardless of
the weather, April 11 this year, great to see them isn't it :-)

I'm in North-east Lincolnshire and our first swallow arrived on Thursday,
looking very bedraggled...Amazing to think how far the little creature has
flown...Great to see tho'

Pam

swallows OT Kate Morgan United Kingdom 3 05-04-2009 11:58 PM
Swallows! Charlie Pridham[_2_] United Kingdom 10 09-04-2008 11:27 AM
Swallows Sacha United Kingdom 46 02-09-2007 11:57 AM
Barn Swallows Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman Texas 2 25-05-2006 10:18 PM
swallows are back Kate Morgan United Kingdom 3 19-04-2003 08:20 AM