Old 28-08-2007, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Swallows

We saw a couple of dozen sitting on the wires as we went out to dinner
tonight. ;-(

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-08-2007, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 28, 10:52 pm, Sacha wrote:
We saw a couple of dozen sitting on the wires as we went out to dinner
tonight. ;-(

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

Sacha, as you know I can't tell a swallow from an Amazon. I did
notice what I thought was a lovely swoopy bird last night, it was a
bat!

Judith

Old 28-08-2007, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 22:52:39 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

We saw a couple of dozen sitting on the wires as we went out to dinner
tonight. ;-(

Still around he two nests in the (cartshed) garage, and two broods raised
in each this year. Mind you, our cars have to stand out in the summer so the
cats can't use them as a ladder :-)

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Old 28-08-2007, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 22:52:39 +0100, Sacha wrote:

We saw a couple of dozen sitting on the wires as we went out to dinner
tonight. ;-(

Yep ! Lots of them sitting on the wires here (Lincolnshire).

Soon be - Bah Humbug - I *hate* Christmas time I suppose :-(
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 29-08-2007, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/8/07 23:14, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 22:52:39 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

We saw a couple of dozen sitting on the wires as we went out to dinner
tonight. ;-(

Still around he two nests in the (cartshed) garage, and two broods raised
in each this year. Mind you, our cars have to stand out in the summer so the
cats can't use them as a ladder :-)

'Ours', as in locally, seem to me to arrive late and leave early. They
never nest here but choose an area mere minutes away and among those is the
wall of my step daughter's house. But I know so little of their habits that
I could be in a real muddle as to their going or staying intentions. I just
feel that when we see them en masse, they're not going to be here a lot
longer. In a previous house, we had a cowshed with a dangling light flex.
The clever swallows built their nest on this and it was protected from all
predators, apparently. This went on for years. At my son's house, there is
a broad granite archway with oak beams across part of it. It's entirely
weatherproof and his grandfather set up a few of those fake nests. I've
known that house more than 30 years and those nests have never failed to be
inhabited and other swallows have built real ones beside them year upon
year. I really am going to have to find out a bit more about this. Every
year it both puzzles and intrigues me!

Old 29-08-2007, 12:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 28, 11:59 pm, Sacha wrote:

Here's my Pollyanna moment - tah dah! - you learned not to be frightened of
bats?!! Of course you did - do not disappoint me!

No!!!!!!!!!!! My middle name is wuss.

Judith

Old 29-08-2007, 07:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 22:52:39 +0100, Sacha wrote:

We saw a couple of dozen sitting on the wires as we went out to dinner
tonight. ;-(

Yep ! Lots of them sitting on the wires here (Lincolnshire).

Soon be - Bah Humbug - I *hate* Christmas time I suppose :-(
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

I love christmas, BUT, I really love summer and we dont seem to have had
one... Feel like I have missed something...

Donna

Old 29-08-2007, 07:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 22:52:39 +0100, Sacha wrote:

We saw a couple of dozen sitting on the wires as we went out to dinner
tonight. ;-(

Yep ! Lots of them sitting on the wires here (Lincolnshire).

Soon be - Bah Humbug - I *hate* Christmas time I suppose :-(
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

Do what we are doing. Go away for Christmas and the New Year :-)

No Christmas Shopping, taking everyone with us. :-)

No decorations. We are cruising so the ship does all that :-)

No cooking. All done on board by professional chefs. :-)

Christmas Presents? Vouchers of the person's choice. Garden Vouchers. Book
Tokens, Argos, etc, etc Easy to pack, like in the Christmas Card :-))

Empty house over Christmas? No, we have friends from a different part of the
country to House Sit, Garden/Greenhouse sit and Pet Sit all in one go. 3
Bedrooms so they bring their family to the seaside for Christmas and the New
Year, all we have to do is make sure the Freezer is stocked, ..... not
tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo difficult :-)

We will get a tree in for them and put some decorations up but they have
said don't bother.

It's great to have friends :-)

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007 FULL. WAIT LIST OPERATING
www.rneba.org.uk to find your ex-Greenie mess mates
www.iowtours.com for all ex-Service Reunions. More being added daily

Old 29-08-2007, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 00:08:15 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

On 28/8/07 23:14, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

[...]

Ours arrive about 21st April - we keep a record. The first year they
inspected but didn't build, and the second year we were privileged to
actually watch them build their nest, raise their young and watch the young
birds learning to fly. (We hid behind the trailer, which must have intrigued
the next-doors.) I have a wonderful photo of all the babies lined up along a
beam watching me - a bit Disney-like! The second year they used the same
nest, raised a brood and then to our surprise built a second nest and raised
a second brood in that. This year we have two pairs which each appear to
have raised two broods in the existing nests. We would be happy if they built
more nests, and it would be interesting to set up a few fake ones for them as
well. We have a pond as you know, and sometimes we hold our breath in the
summer if we are sitting there and they dive and swoop over the pond like an
aerial ballet, presumably both taking insects and drinking. While they are
building the nest, they dip into the pond for the water they need for the
nest.

Beats working for a living!

Old 29-08-2007, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/8/07 15:28, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:
snip

[...]

You are lucky! Whatever it takes, we don't have it here, unfortunately.
Your description is so evocative.

Old 29-08-2007, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:32:56 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I love Christmas

Christmas will be like any other day in this house - dead miserable ! You
can spend pounds if you're not careful. Not one extra penny is leaving my
pocket I assure you. Upstairs with my mug of cocoa and my copy of Bleak
House !!!
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 29-08-2007, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/8/07 21:44, in article ,
"Hugh Jampton" wrote:

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:32:56 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I love Christmas

Christmas will be like any other day in this house - dead miserable ! You
can spend pounds if you're not careful. Not one extra penny is leaving my
pocket I assure you. Upstairs with my mug of cocoa and my copy of Bleak
House !!!

One lump of sea coal and a candle stub as a treat?

swallows OT Kate Morgan United Kingdom 3 05-04-2009 11:58 PM
Swallows! Charlie Pridham[_2_] United Kingdom 10 09-04-2008 11:27 AM
First swallows this year fruitbat United Kingdom 5 14-04-2007 10:29 AM
Barn Swallows Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman Texas 2 25-05-2006 10:18 PM
swallows are back Kate Morgan United Kingdom 3 19-04-2003 08:20 AM