Old 23-04-2007, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What a contrast!

Today has dawned thick with fog. I can only just see the hedge at the end
of the nursery path! It rained last night but not a great deal.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-04-2007, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Today has dawned thick with fog. I can only just see the hedge at the end
of the nursery path! It rained last night but not a great deal.
--
Sacha

No fog here.

Overcast with sun trying to get through.

So the fog is NOT widespread across the whole country. Anyone else got it?

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 23-04-2007, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
Today has dawned thick with fog. I can only just see the hedge at the end
of the nursery path! It rained last night but not a great deal.

Awoke this morning, in North Staffordshire to see what appeared to be
good rain, the first for many a long day. However the bowls I have out
have very little water in them, there certainly has not been enough to
do much good. The weather forecast spoke of another high building
yesterday, so unless we get a lot today or tomorrow I am going to have
to use up my remaining butt water!
Old 23-04-2007, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , 'Mike'
writes

So the fog is NOT widespread across the whole country. Anyone else got it?

Mike

It's misty here today and I'll give it four for trying to rain,
unfortunately barely wetting the soil.

Janet
Amersham, Bucks.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 23-04-2007, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/4/07 09:52, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , 'Mike'
writes

So the fog is NOT widespread across the whole country. Anyone else got it?

Mike

It's misty here today and I'll give it four for trying to rain,
unfortunately barely wetting the soil.

The rain here has laid the dust and that's about it. ;-(

Old 23-04-2007, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 23 Apr, 09:52, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , 'Mike'
writes

So the fog is NOT widespread across the whole country. Anyone else got it?

Mike

It's misty here today and I'll give it four for trying to rain,
unfortunately barely wetting the soil.

Janet
Amersham, Bucks.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Here in South Wales its also misty, but has been raining steadily
since about 10pm only light rain but we have puddles formed on the
track.
If you listen carefully you can hear the weeds growing.
I tried some rotavating yesterday, and it was like trying to break up
concrete.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 23-04-2007, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote:
Today has dawned thick with fog. I can only just see the hedge at the end
of the nursery path! It rained last night but not a great deal.
--

It's raining in Peterborough this morning (23.4.07), not heavily, but we
have rain

MikeCT

Old 23-04-2007, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

At least nobody is out watering this morning!

I'm having to water the pots with small plants in and also anything
newly planted. Some pots are drying out during the day though I have
shoved in a few of the water retaining crystals when potting up anything
valuable!

This time of the year I seem to have hundreds (well okay, 7) Plant sales
that all want free plants to sell.

By the time I've potted stuff up and got the pots and the compost I
sometimes think I might as well just give a donation to the causes
However I always try and take a lot to the NGS Garden stall as it is
such a good day and you can chat as you sell plants to the visitors.
Trouble is many only want stuff in flower it matters not that you are
trying to flog them a really unusual or rarer type of plant that they'll
love, all they see are the plants with flowers..........

Old 23-04-2007, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/4/07 13:45, in article , "Malcolm"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
On 23/4/07 11:58, in article
, "Malcolm"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
Today has dawned thick with fog. I can only just see the hedge at the end
of the nursery path! It rained last night but not a great deal.

Well, tell it go away, as we're visiting the Eden Project and Heligan
later this week!

Try coming back via Pine Lodge Gardens or drop in here and say hello, if
it's not too far out of your way.

I've noted where you are at Hill House. Pine Lodge Gardens look nice and
we're staying in St Austell.

Then that's an easy trip for you to Pine Lodge. We're just over an hour on
from there, traffic depending, so you'll have to work out whether "il vaut
le detour"! I'm doing flowers for someone's funeral on part of Wednesday
and most of Thursday but Ray will be here anyway.

The utterly useless weather widget on my
Mac tells me it's bright and sunny in Plymouth today and will be wet and
cloudy all week! Given its normal predictive abilities I'm almost confident
in predicting another heatwave. ;-)

The Beeb suggests it will be raining on Wednesday, fine on Thursday and
showers on Friday. Metcheck suggest most of the week will be fine. As
it's raining quite hard here today, who cares?!

We're back to no rain but a lot of low cloud.

Old 23-04-2007, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/4/07 17:17, in article , "Malcolm"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

snip

Then that's an easy trip for you to Pine Lodge. We're just over an hour on
from there, traffic depending, so you'll have to work out whether "il vaut
le detour"! I'm doing flowers for someone's funeral on part of Wednesday
and most of Thursday but Ray will be here anyway.

If we manage "le detour", it's more likely to be Saturday as we head
home again, but that's probably a busy day for you.

Unhappily, it's the day we are - most unusually at this time of year - out
to lunch, too. We're going to choose an alpaca throw for the latest grand
daughter, made from some friends' alpacas' hair (fur?) We'll be here until
about 11 and then back again after 4ish I'd guess. The other place that
might be worth a detour for you or even an extra night's stay and said
friends do B&B in an old manor house in a pretty Dartmoor hamlet ;-)) is The
Garden House at Buckland Monachorum. It's not far from Tavistock and easy to
get to after coming over the Tamar and entering Plymouth - follow signs to
Derriford Hospital and then keep going towards Yelverton. You'll start to
go across the moor and then will see signs to your left for BM and Crapstone
etc. before you get to Yelverton.

snip
We're back to no rain but a lot of low cloud.

Whereas we have rain *and* low cloud, though forecast to move away south
this evening. Just over-watered (!) the polytunnel for while we're away.
Everything else which was indoors sprouting on the windowsill is
outside. I'd no sooner put the last tray down and two collared doves
appeared out of nowhere! The trays are now covered with fleece. I like
birds, but not that much :-)

AKA The Spy in the Sky. ;-)

Old 23-04-2007, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote after
Janet Tweedy wrote:

It's misty here today and I'll give it four for trying to rain,
unfortunately barely wetting the soil.

Here in South Wales its also misty, but has been raining steadily
since about 10pm only light rain but we have puddles formed on the
track.
If you listen carefully you can hear the weeds growing.
I tried some rotavating yesterday, and it was like trying to break up
concrete.

The bits of our allotment where I haven't dug it since the autumn are also
like concrete, the rotovator won't touch it until I break it up and my fork
is creaking well, just like my back. :-)
Very light rain here for a good part of the middle of the day, my back got
quite damp as I was out starting a total remake of our back garden. Broke my
heart to prune the two smaller but still large Camellias down to near ground
level but they just had to either go or be made small again, I'm sure they
will resprout but if they don't it's not the end of the world. Raised the
crown of the biggest to a clear 6ft so it's now a true camellia tree and I
can plant beneath it.
Hope it's dry tomorrow, we have arranged a group visit, with a guided tour,
to Wakehurst Place.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 23-04-2007, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/4/07 17:51, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote after
Janet Tweedy wrote:

[...]

My ex-fil was a bit of a Camellia expert and he had one huge specimen one on
a lawn. From time to time, it was cut back to literally one leafy twig.
The first time I saw it my heart nearly stopped but it never failed to grow
again.

Raised the
crown of the biggest to a clear 6ft so it's now a true camellia tree and I
can plant beneath it.

What Keith Wiley calls "raising the skirts". ;-)
Hope it's dry tomorrow, we have arranged a group visit, with a guided tour,
to Wakehurst Place.

Have a lovely day.