Old 03-05-2007, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default petrol lawnmower help please

Hi

A friend has just kindly given me an old Mountfield petrol rotary
mower which has a Tecumseh engine. It isn't in good order and hasn't
been used or serviced for a while. First, I am just trying to assess
the cost and time investment to see if restoration to good working
order is possible and viable.

One issue I can't understand and I am hoping someone here can help, is
that on the underside of the float chamber bowl there is a 'pin'
coming down which has a spring around it. Does anyone know what this
is for ?, and how it can be serviced/adjusted ?. I ask because I have
a small fuel leak coming from this pin. Unless I can solve this the
machine isn't really any good.

Many thanks
Steve

Old 03-05-2007, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

stevej wrote:
Hi

One issue I can't understand and I am hoping someone here can help, is
that on the underside of the float chamber bowl there is a 'pin'
coming down which has a spring around it. Does anyone know what this
is for ?, and how it can be serviced/adjusted ?. I ask because I have
a small fuel leak coming from this pin. Unless I can solve this the
machine isn't really any good.

Many thanks
Steve

Anything here?

http://www.howtomendit.com/search.ph...ecumseh+engine

Also manuals here..

http://www.asecc.com/tmanuals.html

Les (2 mins with google....)

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"This is totally not a shark!" Heh Heh

http://www.conservapedia.com/index.p...ur&oldid=16029

Conservapedia... Christian Fundamentalism at it's finest ;o)

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old 03-05-2007, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 3, 12:08 pm, stevej wrote:
Hi

A friend has just kindly given me an old Mountfield petrol rotary
mower which has a Tecumseh engine. It isn't in good order and hasn't
been used or serviced for a while. First, I am just trying to assess
the cost and time investment to see if restoration to good working
order is possible and viable.

One issue I can't understand and I am hoping someone here can help, is
that on the underside of the float chamber bowl there is a 'pin'
coming down which has a spring around it. Does anyone know what this
is for ?, and how it can be serviced/adjusted ?. I ask because I have
a small fuel leak coming from this pin. Unless I can solve this the
machine isn't really any good.

Many thanks
Steve

Is it actually on the float bowl?? Usually there's just the retaining
bolt through the middle. Can you post a pic somewhere?

Old 03-05-2007, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 May, 12:54, adder1969 wrote:
On May 3, 12:08 pm, stevej wrote:

Hi

A friend has just kindly given me an old Mountfield petrol rotary
mower which has a Tecumseh engine. It isn't in good order and hasn't
been used or serviced for a while. First, I am just trying to assess
the cost and time investment to see if restoration to good working
order is possible and viable.

One issue I can't understand and I am hoping someone here can help, is
that on the underside of the float chamber bowl there is a 'pin'
coming down which has a spring around it. Does anyone know what this
is for ?, and how it can be serviced/adjusted ?. I ask because I have
a small fuel leak coming from this pin. Unless I can solve this the
machine isn't really any good.

Many thanks
Steve

Is it actually on the float bowl?? Usually there's just the retaining
bolt through the middle. Can you post a pic somewhere?- Hide quoted text -

Hi - yes it's on the underside of the float bowl pointing down about
10mm towards the deck, which would make it very difficult to photo.
There is a retaining nut in the centre, the 'pin' is off centre.

Les- thanks but no joy on the web, have been at that on and off for
two days.

Cheers
Steve

Old 03-05-2007, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 May, 12:54, "Les Hemmings"
wrote:
stevej wrote:
Hi

[...]

Also, thanks for the suggestionsbut a manual is out as I can't find a
model number.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 3, 12:08 pm, stevej wrote:

[...]

Take the bowl off and have a look inside?

Old 03-05-2007, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stevej" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

A friend has just kindly given me an old Mountfield petrol rotary
mower which has a Tecumseh engine. It isn't in good order and hasn't
been used or serviced for a while. First, I am just trying to assess
the cost and time investment to see if restoration to good working
order is possible and viable.

One issue I can't understand and I am hoping someone here can help, is
that on the underside of the float chamber bowl there is a 'pin'
coming down which has a spring around it. Does anyone know what this
is for ?,

Used to flood the carb to aid starting, pushes the float up.
Should be easy to correct. Nice mower.
--
Rog
http://www.rog.richieward.com

Old 03-05-2007, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stevej" wrote
A friend has just kindly given me an old Mountfield petrol rotary
mower which has a Tecumseh engine. It isn't in good order and hasn't
been used or serviced for a while. First, I am just trying to assess
the cost and time investment to see if restoration to good working
order is possible and viable.

One issue I can't understand and I am hoping someone here can help, is
that on the underside of the float chamber bowl there is a 'pin'
coming down which has a spring around it. Does anyone know what this
is for ?, and how it can be serviced/adjusted ?. I ask because I have
a small fuel leak coming from this pin. Unless I can solve this the
machine isn't really any good.

This site may be some help in identifying your engine etc...
http://www.tecumsehpower.com/CustomerService/BSI.pdf

Tecumseh have a large spares warehouse at...

Tecumseh (UK) Ltd
152 Commercial Road,
Staines,
Middlesex
TW18 2QP

Tel:- 01784 460684

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 04-05-2007, 01:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

seveniron wrote
"stevej" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi

A friend has just kindly given me an old Mountfield petrol rotary
mower which has a Tecumseh engine. It isn't in good order and hasn't
been used or serviced for a while. First, I am just trying to assess
the cost and time investment to see if restoration to good working
order is possible and viable.

One issue I can't understand and I am hoping someone here can help, is
that on the underside of the float chamber bowl there is a 'pin'
coming down which has a spring around it. Does anyone know what this
is for ?,

Used to flood the carb to aid starting, pushes the float up.
Should be easy to correct. Nice mower.

.... and the small leak is the float needle not quite seating properly
when the float comes down again.
Probably just a speck of dirt.
--
Roger Hunt
Old 04-05-2007, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4 May, 01:34, Roger Hunt wrote:
seveniron wrote

"stevej" wrote in message
[...]

Roger Hunt- Hide quoted text -

Great, thanks very much. Now I know what it is, I have been able to
search and find some more info. Some seem to refer to it as the
'tickler' !!

Regards
Steve

Old 04-05-2007, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Hunt" wrote in message
seveniron wrote
"stevej" wrote in message
groups.com...
Hi

A friend has just kindly given me an old Mountfield petrol rotary
mower which has a Tecumseh engine. It isn't in good order and hasn't
been used or serviced for a while. First, I am just trying to assess
the cost and time investment to see if restoration to good working
order is possible and viable.

One issue I can't understand and I am hoping someone here can help, is
that on the underside of the float chamber bowl there is a 'pin'
coming down which has a spring around it. Does anyone know what this
is for ?,

Used to flood the carb to aid starting, pushes the float up.

The float floats. Upwards. A tickler pushes the float *down*, to release the
needle valve and flood the carb. This device is to drain petrol from the
carb, ie for when you store it in your shed, or when you take it out again
and want fresh fuel in the carb.

Steve

Old 04-05-2007, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Roger Hunt" wrote in message
seveniron wrote
"stevej" wrote in message
egroups.com...

The float floats. Upwards. A tickler pushes the float *down*, to release
the needle valve and flood the carb. This device is to drain petrol from
the carb, ie for when you store it in your shed, or when you take it out
again and want fresh fuel in the carb.

Steve

Corrected...
47 yrs as a plant fitter wasted :0)

--
Rog
http://www.rog.richieward.com

Old 04-05-2007, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote
"Roger Hunt" wrote in message

Used to flood the carb to aid starting, pushes the float up.

The float floats. Upwards. A tickler pushes the float *down*,

So it does! Back to the drawing board for Plan B ....
--
Roger Hunt
Old 04-05-2007, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 4 May 2007 18:44:38 +0100, seveniron wrote:

Corrected...
47 yrs as a plant fitter wasted :0)

Ah but just think you have probably forgotten more than most modern
fitters will ever know. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Spear & Jackson Petrol Hedge Trimmer Petrol Leak ted4272 United Kingdom 6 18-07-2012 12:36 PM
Rotary Petrol Lawnmower JP United Kingdom 15 18-10-2006 02:16 PM
Petrol Lawnmower philip United Kingdom 4 13-08-2006 12:23 AM
Old petrol lawnmower Andrew Champion United Kingdom 6 04-07-2003 05:58 PM
Cheapest petrol Lawnmower with rear roller? Gary United Kingdom 6 22-03-2003 11:28 AM