Old 04-05-2007, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Choosing a mower?

I'm after a new mower. £500-600 price range.
The choice is down to 3 or 4.
Rotary, 17 or 18", with drive and rear roller.
Honda seem to be the best seller, and used by contractors and gardeners
everywhere.
Hayter have a very similar model, at roughly the same price, and it
looks far better in its classy green all over paint.
Deere and Atco also do similar models at similar prices.

i am tending toward the Hayter, just because it looks nicer than the red
and black Honda, as well as being (partially) made in the UK.
Parts/spares availablilty doesnt seem to be a problem, as my dealer says
most things are available the next day if not kept in their stock.

Is there any preference for any of these makes, or are they much of a
muchness at this price?
Thanks
Alan.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"A.Lee" wrote in message
I'm after a new mower. £500-600 price range.
The choice is down to 3 or 4.
Rotary, 17 or 18", with drive and rear roller.
Honda seem to be the best seller, and used by contractors and gardeners
everywhere.
Hayter have a very similar model, at roughly the same price, and it
looks far better in its classy green all over paint.
Deere and Atco also do similar models at similar prices.

i am tending toward the Hayter, just because it looks nicer than the red
and black Honda, as well as being (partially) made in the UK.
Parts/spares availablilty doesnt seem to be a problem, as my dealer says
most things are available the next day if not kept in their stock.

Hayter and Honda are the better mowers of the four and are produced for the
UK market. Back up for both machines is excellent.

Pluses for Hayter, is that you can have the variable speed for the price of
the single speed Honda (not an option)

Pluses for Honda, are the better engine and BBC. On the Hayter, the engine
will stop when you let go of the safety bar, on the Honda, just the blade
stops.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"A.Lee" wrote in message
I'm after a new mower. £500-600 price range.
The choice is down to 3 or 4.
Rotary, 17 or 18", with drive and rear roller.
Honda seem to be the best seller, and used by contractors and gardeners
everywhere.
Hayter have a very similar model, at roughly the same price, and it
looks far better in its classy green all over paint.
Deere and Atco also do similar models at similar prices.

I have never owned a Honda so can't comment on them. I have however owned my
current Hayter 56 from new some 13 years ago and despite a lot of use and
abuse over the years it still works and well and starts first pull (it is
electric start but the battery died about 5 years ago and I never bothered
replacing it). I do agree about the classy green colour scheme, it just
looks much better in the garden that the garish red or yellow machines.

Mike

Old 06-05-2007, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

A.Lee wrote:

Is there any preference for any of these makes, or are they much of a
muchness at this price?

Don't know about the other two but buying a John Deere is like buying a
Volvo in the 80s: sturdy, and you still see some around.
That's what I've always seen the family buying, and they are people who
think long term investment. From what I saw they needed very little
repair beyond the usual maintenance.

Greg

--

You may ask yourself, how do I work this?

No ficus = no spam
Old 09-05-2007, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"A.Lee" wrote in message
I'm after a new mower. £500-600 price range.
The choice is down to 3 or 4.
Rotary, 17 or 18", with drive and rear roller.
Honda seem to be the best seller, and used by contractors and gardeners
everywhere.

My rotary mower has a Honda engine but it's not a Honda mower... It's been
abused for 10 years (never serviced, never changed the oil etc) and still it
starts first or second pull. If it doesn't start second pull then I know I
forgot something! The mower will probably rust away before the engine dies.
Highly recommended.

I've just purchased a 30 year old Suffolk Colt off ebay for £50 to make
stripes. I've cut my lawn twice so far and it runs vey well. These old
mowers can be a good buy if they have been looked after and serviced.

Choosing a Lawn Mower with swivel casters or NOT Jmn Gardening 1 02-06-2005 10:50 PM
advice needed for choosing flowers for full sun garden Goose Gardening 7 22-06-2003 01:20 PM
Choosing trees Shelly Gardening 6 20-06-2003 03:56 PM
Help choosing commercial 48" walk-behind Roger Seymour Lawns 0 28-04-2003 11:20 AM
Choosing an apple tree Janet Galpin and Oliver Patterson United Kingdom 8 24-10-2002 06:36 PM