Old 08-05-2007, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default what shrub is this?

Photographed last week at the University of Liverpool Botanic Gardens.
At a distant glance it looks like a Rhododendron, but when you get
closer it's clearly far distant from a Rhododendron. I think that it's
rosaceous, and probably belongs to subfamily Maloideae. It reminds me a
little of Raphiolepis (seen at Birmingham Botanic Gardens).

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub01.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub02.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub03.jpg
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 08-05-2007, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 May, 14:33, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
Photographed last week at the University of Liverpool Botanic Gardens.
At a distant glance it looks like a Rhododendron, but when you get
closer it's clearly far distant from a Rhododendron. I think that it's
rosaceous, and probably belongs to subfamily Maloideae. It reminds me a
little of Raphiolepis (seen at Birmingham Botanic Gardens).
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Ima...es/Shrub03.jpg

Your server is down.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote ...
Photographed last week at the University of Liverpool Botanic Gardens. At
a distant glance it looks like a Rhododendron, but when you get closer
it's clearly far distant from a Rhododendron. I think that it's rosaceous,
and probably belongs to subfamily Maloideae. It reminds me a little of
Raphiolepis (seen at Birmingham Botanic Gardens).

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub01.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub02.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub03.jpg
--

I'm getting "http forbidden 403"

Do I need to log on to your site? If so how?

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 08-05-2007, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote ...
Photographed last week at the University of Liverpool Botanic Gardens. At
a distant glance it looks like a Rhododendron, but when you get closer
it's clearly far distant from a Rhododendron. I think that it's rosaceous,
and probably belongs to subfamily Maloideae. It reminds me a little of
Raphiolepis (seen at Birmingham Botanic Gardens).

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub01.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub02.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub03.jpg
--

I'm getting "http forbidden 403"

Do I need to log on to your site? If so how?

No. It's finger trouble at my end (now fixed), but I'm not sure why you
got 403 rather than 404.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 08-05-2007, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

oups.com...
wrote:
Photographed last week at the University of Liverpool Botanic Gardens.
At a distant glance it looks like a Rhododendron, but when you get
closer it's clearly far distant from a Rhododendron. I think that it's
rosaceous, and probably belongs to subfamily Maloideae. It reminds me a
little of Raphiolepis (seen at Birmingham Botanic Gardens).

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Ima...es/Shrub03.jpg

Your server is down.

No its not! I can see all the pictures

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 08-05-2007, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 May, 18:18, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
No its not! I can see all the pictures

Lucky sausage then. What did you do, go on the site direct? I can get
the other thread with the maple ID but not this one.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/5/07 18:17, in article , "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote ...
Photographed last week at the University of Liverpool Botanic Gardens. At
a distant glance it looks like a Rhododendron, but when you get closer
it's clearly far distant from a Rhododendron. I think that it's rosaceous,
and probably belongs to subfamily Maloideae. It reminds me a little of
Raphiolepis (seen at Birmingham Botanic Gardens).

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub01.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub02.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub03.jpg
--

I'm getting "http forbidden 403"

Do I need to log on to your site? If so how?

No. It's finger trouble at my end (now fixed), but I'm not sure why you
got 403 rather than 404.

So what's the proper url now?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-05-2007, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 May, 18:43, Sacha wrote:
So what's the proper url now?

Just checked again and it worked?!!! Try the first link from Stewart.
And I don't know. Looked like a skimmia like the reeviesana but far
too large flowers. Lovely though. Is it scented?

Old 08-05-2007, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 8/5/07 18:17, in article , "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote ...
Photographed last week at the University of Liverpool Botanic Gardens. At
a distant glance it looks like a Rhododendron, but when you get closer
it's clearly far distant from a Rhododendron. I think that it's rosaceous,
and probably belongs to subfamily Maloideae. It reminds me a little of
Raphiolepis (seen at Birmingham Botanic Gardens).

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub01.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub02.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub03.jpg
--

I'm getting "http forbidden 403"

Do I need to log on to your site? If so how?

No. It's finger trouble at my end (now fixed), but I'm not sure why you
got 403 rather than 404.

So what's the proper url now?

As above; the finger trouble was in installing the images.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 08-05-2007, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote ...
Photographed last week at the University of Liverpool Botanic Gardens. At
a distant glance it looks like a Rhododendron, but when you get closer
it's clearly far distant from a Rhododendron. I think that it's rosaceous,
and probably belongs to subfamily Maloideae. It reminds me a little of
Raphiolepis (seen at Birmingham Botanic Gardens).

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub01.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub02.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub03.jpg

Choisya 'Aztec Pearl' ?

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 08-05-2007, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/5/07 19:07, in article lid, "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub01.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub02.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub03.jpg

none of these are available to me.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Difficult to be absolutely certain, but it looks very like Raphiolepis
umbellata to me. I can never understand why these 'Indian Hawthorns'
have never quite caught on UK gardens. They are tough, resilient
evergreens with attractive flowers, foliage and berries. Very few
grow much more than shoulder height and once planted they don't need
masses of attention. Ideal for small gardens, low hedges etc.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 May, 02:52, Dave Poole wrote:
Difficult to be absolutely certain, but it looks very like Raphiolepis
umbellata to me.

Yes! Gosh you're good )

Old 09-05-2007, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message . com, Dave
Poole writes
Difficult to be absolutely certain, but it looks very like Raphiolepis
umbellata to me. I can never understand why these 'Indian Hawthorns'
have never quite caught on UK gardens. They are tough, resilient
evergreens with attractive flowers, foliage and berries. Very few
grow much more than shoulder height and once planted they don't need
masses of attention. Ideal for small gardens, low hedges etc.

I agree that it looks very like, but having checked Flora of China
(URL:http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=128270)
there appears to be a botanical detail which contradicts this
identification. The flowers of Rhapiolepis have 2 or less commonly 3
styles (2 in R. umbellata); the flowers of this shrub have 4.

For a comparison see
http://kaihu3.blog5.fc2.com/blog-entry-156.html
http://blog5.fc2.com/k/kaihu3/file/0...mbellata-1.jpg

Another point is that the leaves appeared to have a brown indumentum on
the undersides (contributing to the appearance of a Rhododendron at a
distant glance). On this ground I briefly considered Rhaphiolepis
ferruginea.

It's not Eriobotrya japonica, but I wonder if it's one of the other
loquats.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

shrub Honeysuckle Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 27-10-2003 02:42 PM
What is this shrub? animaux Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
[IBC] unknown shrub, can it be used for bonsai? Sam Williams Bonsai 6 13-02-2003 02:55 AM
Planting new rosemary bush/shrub Anita Blanchard Gardening 1 04-02-2003 09:16 PM
evergreen shrub dying? Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 0 24-01-2003 10:14 AM