Old 13-05-2007, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default is it time to plant out tomatoes, courgettes, aubergines?

I have some veg plants from the garden centre and some that friends
have given me. I was going to plant them out today (pots and directly
into garden) but now am a bit nervous of the wind and cold spell we
are having. Anyone else out there planting out these veg or should I
keep them indoors another week or so? (my foyer is starting to look
like a garden centre!!)

Thanks in advance!!

Old 13-05-2007, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 May, 13:57, Kimmer wrote:
I have some veg plants from the garden centre and some that friends
have given me. I was going to plant them out today (pots and directly
into garden) but now am a bit nervous of the wind and cold spell we
are having. Anyone else out there planting out these veg or should I
keep them indoors another week or so? (my foyer is starting to look
like a garden centre!!)

I've just returned from lotty and planted my courgettes. But I haven't
put out the tomatoes yet and I'm not doing aubergine. Didn't you say
you were in Ontario Canada? In that case I couldn't tell you when - I
don't know your zone nor do I know the climate there!

Old 13-05-2007, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 May, 14:15, La Puce wrote:
On 13 May, 13:57, Kimmer wrote:

I have some veg plants from the garden centre and some that friends
have given me. I was going to plant them out today (pots and directly
into garden) but now am a bit nervous of the wind and cold spell we
are having. Anyone else out there planting out these veg or should I
keep them indoors another week or so? (my foyer is starting to look
like a garden centre!!)

I've just returned from lotty and planted my courgettes. But I haven't
put out the tomatoes yet and I'm not doing aubergine. Didn't you say
you were in Ontario Canada? In that case I couldn't tell you when - I
don't know your zone nor do I know the climate there!

And here's me again talking to myself .... Honestly, there must have
been something weird in my houmous.. I've just realised that you are
'originally' from Canada but you're in Oxford now, not the Oxford in
Ontario ....

Let's start again. How tall are your tomatoes and I've never grown
aubergine in this country. Far too changeable weather. So can't help
you there. Do you have a greenhouse? Your aubergine would be happier
in there.

Old 13-05-2007, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

My toms are about 15 cm (cherry and normal ones) and some have started
to get wee flowers! I put them out in their little pots to harden for
the day but think I'll bring them in tonight as its still chilly.
One aubergine plant is starting to get really big but I'm sure its
still too cold for him also so I might re-pot but still keep indoors
for a while.

No greenhouse I'm afraid, but after reading lots of posts today I
think maybe a "cloche" might be a good idea! I imagine you just buy
some wire hoops from the shop and cover with plastic?? I just read
about keeping potatoes warm so I am going to rush out and cover the
soil in my bucket! the tops are getting huge now...do I just let them
keep growing?

Old 13-05-2007, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

:
: No greenhouse I'm afraid, but after reading lots of posts today I
: think maybe a "cloche" might be a good idea! I imagine you just buy
: some wire hoops from the shop and cover with plastic?? I just read
: about keeping potatoes warm so I am going to rush out and cover the
: soil in my bucket! the tops are getting huge now...do I just let them
: keep growing?

We grew aubergines outside successfully last year.Although frost is not a
problem here, we give such plants as those extra initial shelter from the
wind

Old 13-05-2007, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 May, 15:41, Kimmer wrote:
My toms are about 15 cm (cherry and normal ones) and some have started
to get wee flowers! I put them out in their little pots to harden for
the day but think I'll bring them in tonight as its still chilly.
One aubergine plant is starting to get really big but I'm sure its
still too cold for him also so I might re-pot but still keep indoors
for a while.

Too cold for 'him'? Ought to be 'her', une aubergine surely. Canadien
Francais?

No greenhouse I'm afraid, but after reading lots of posts today I
think maybe a "cloche" might be a good idea! I imagine you just buy
some wire hoops from the shop and cover with plastic?? I just read
about keeping potatoes warm so I am going to rush out and cover the
soil in my bucket! the tops are getting huge now...do I just let them
keep growing?

I thought you were just about starting! Don't do anything to your
spuds. But mount the side with more soil.

courgettes and tomatoes care of john brook[_2_] United Kingdom 1 29-04-2011 10:14 PM
Courgettes planted out too early seem discoloured/stinted. Freedom_Spark United Kingdom 2 17-06-2009 05:47 PM
Aubergines Janice United Kingdom 8 16-09-2003 05:23 PM
Can Just Me Koi come out of Time Out? Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 9 26-04-2003 06:32 PM
Aubergines Jon United Kingdom 2 09-04-2003 09:56 PM