Old 15-06-2007, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mosquitoes?

Is there a natural product one can pour onto stagnant water to stop mossies
from breeding?

Old 15-06-2007, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article OCxci.18605$vT6.6988@edtnps90,
"Pinetree" writes:

| Is there a natural product one can pour onto stagnant water to stop mossies
| from breeding?

A small amount of any oil will do - cheap cooking oil or linseed oil
are both fine. Just enough to form a one-molecule thick layer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-06-2007, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pinetree" wrote in message
Is there a natural product one can pour onto stagnant water to stop
mossies
from breeding?

Depending upon the nature of the "stagnant water" a couple of goldfish will
eat any larvae.

David.

Old 15-06-2007, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

"Pinetree" wrote in message
Is there a natural product one can pour onto stagnant water to stop
mossies
from breeding?

Depending upon the nature of the "stagnant water" a couple of goldfish
will eat any larvae.

Yebbut they clog the watering can :-(

Mary

Old 15-06-2007, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks all, I'll try the oil. Goldfish aren't an option, as I have a wily
Kingfisher and I'm fed up with feeding him. )

Old 15-06-2007, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

pps. Should mention that the "oil" is for an old well - so no harm to the
Kingfisher, who wouldn't be able to get down that far ;o).

Old 15-06-2007, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Pinetree writes
pps. Should mention that the "oil" is for an old well - so no harm to the
Kingfisher, who wouldn't be able to get down that far ;o).

So he wouldn't be able to get the goldfish either?

"Pinetree" wrote in message
Thanks all, I'll try the oil. Goldfish aren't an option, as I have a wily
Kingfisher and I'm fed up with feeding him. )

Kay
Old 16-06-2007, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I don't think anyone would keep goldfish down a well; not a lot of sunshine
down there g What's that rhyme: "Who put him in, little Tommy Tin?" Isn't
that about a well?
Someone just suggested goldfish, which I have in the ponds; but I was
explaining humorously why not goldfish, and that oil was the better plan for
the well. Not much else down there to harm; not even beneficial frogs. The
Kingfisher was a joke ;o)

Pinetree writes

"Pinetree" wrote in message
Thanks all, I'll try the oil. Goldfish aren't an option, as I have a

wily
Kingfisher and I'm fed up with feeding him. )

Kay

kills mosquitoes! Kathie North Carolina 10 19-08-2003 02:32 PM
MOSQUITOES!!! Minga Texas 22 12-07-2003 01:44 AM
protective clothing for mosquitoes Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 4 12-07-2003 01:20 AM
pond, mosquitoes & DDT - potential neighbour dispute Jez Phillips United Kingdom 23 05-06-2003 03:56 PM
West Nile Virus and mosquitoes. Don Gardening 11 31-05-2003 10:56 AM