Old 17-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Minga

Default MOSQUITOES!!!

I swear my whole yard is infested. There is no standing water anywhere
that I can find. But my yard is friggin infested with these little
biting *******s. I cant go outside for more than 10 minutes and not get
bit like crazy. I dont really feel like pouring on 8 lbs of 'deet' just
to grill a steak!

Does anyone own one of those new propane powered killer-things ? Does it
work? Are they worth 200 bucks? I've seen then for 350 too! Anyone know
a place to rent one for a week?

Or should I stick with buying the yard-spray stuff? (i'm sure its OOOH
so good for the water/soil/my dog).

Is Austin "known" for mosquito problems ? I'm "new" here.

-Minga

Old 18-06-2003, 12:39 AM
Rusty Mase

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 22:00:42 GMT, Minga
wrote:

Does anyone own one of those new propane powered killer-things ?

I have a friend in Houston and the CO2 mosquito devices work well for
him. Also, if there are other neighbors using them then it helps.

Is Austin "known" for mosquito problems ? I'm "new" here.

No, Austin is too dry for them to be a big problem. Try the Gulf
Coast in the Spring. They have salt-marsh mosquitos that are not far
from being vampires.

Rusty Mase

Old 18-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Lucy

We have bad mosquitoes also... from a commercial neighbor with
standing water and living near a creek is what we figure. Neighbors
have tried the propane powered magnets and they all returned them.
*Supposedly*, the particular breed of mosquito in Austin is not
attracted to them. The best luck people have had is with spraying
permethrin (sp?) which I think is not bad for pets (someone correct me
if I'm wrong!). We just got some from Home Depot and plan to spray
soon.
Here's a link to check out from the Texas A&M extension:
http://bexar-tx.tamu.edu/IPM/Landsca...Repellents.htm

Good Luck!

Old 18-06-2003, 05:20 AM
adng

No, the propane devices do not work here. The problem is the type of
mosquito. We have mostly Asian Tigers, the little *******s with
stripes on their legs. Unlike the larger, native coastal mosquitos,
Asian Tigers are not attracted to carbon dioxide (I think) which is
what the propane devices work on.

andyd

Old 18-06-2003, 06:40 AM
Suzie-Q

Minga wrote:

I swear my whole yard is infested. There is no standing water anywhere
that I can find. But my yard is friggin infested with these little
biting *******s. I cant go outside for more than 10 minutes and not get
bit like crazy. I dont really feel like pouring on 8 lbs of 'deet' just
to grill a steak!

I have the same problem. A couple of weeks ago I found that
the mosquitoes like to stay in my black garbage can if I
leave the lid off. There is no water in the garbage can. I think
they just like staying in the dark. There were about a hundred
in there one day when I dropped a bag of garbage in the can.

And a couple of days ago I discovered about a zillion in an
unused dog house that also has no water in it. I sprayed some
Raid in the dog house and several hundred mosquitoes flew
out. I am not making this up. As I said, I believe they like
the darkness.

If you have any "containers" like these you might check them
out. Since I sprayed inside the dog house the mosquito
population near my back door has gone way down. But I suppose
I'll have to spray on a regular basis or they'll be back. As
far as the garbage can, I'll just always leave the lid on, even
if it's empty.

8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.eckhardt.net/suzanne/
Due to the receipt of unmanagable amounts of SPAM,
I have had to add an extra letter to my e-mail
address. Remove the "x" to contact me directly.

Old 18-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Texensis

"Minga" wrote in message
| I swear my whole yard is infested. There is no standing water
anywhere
| that I can find. But my yard is friggin infested with these little
| biting *******s. I cant go outside for more than 10 minutes and not
get
| bit like crazy. I dont really feel like pouring on 8 lbs of 'deet'
just
| to grill a steak!
|
| Does anyone own one of those new propane powered killer-things ?
Does it
| work? Are they worth 200 bucks? I've seen then for 350 too! Anyone
know
| a place to rent one for a week?
|
| Or should I stick with buying the yard-spray stuff? (i'm sure its
OOOH
| so good for the water/soil/my dog).
|
| Is Austin "known" for mosquito problems ? I'm "new" here.
|
| -Minga

Burning citronella seems to help for a v-e-r-y small area. Get a great
big screen pavilion!

Old 18-06-2003, 03:56 PM
B.Server

wrote:

I swear my whole yard is infested. There is no standing water anywhere
that I can find. But my yard is friggin infested with these little
biting *******s. I cant go outside for more than 10 minutes and not get
bit like crazy. I dont really feel like pouring on 8 lbs of 'deet' just
to grill a steak!

Does anyone own one of those new propane powered killer-things ? Does it
work? Are they worth 200 bucks? I've seen then for 350 too! Anyone know
a place to rent one for a week?

Or should I stick with buying the yard-spray stuff? (i'm sure its OOOH
so good for the water/soil/my dog).

Is Austin "known" for mosquito problems ? I'm "new" here.

-Minga

Here's a testimonial. Last week I sat outside at Triumph Cafe on
Spicewood Springs. They have a propane-fired mosquito magnet. It was
on according to the indicator lights and sound. I was about 7 feet
from it and received 9 bites in the time it took to drink a glass of
iced tea and eat a springroll. YM(or bites)MV.

Disclaimer, my wife says that she never needs deet when I am around
because all the mosquitoes will be tracking me.
Old 21-06-2003, 01:56 PM
John T. Jarrett

Neem oil is supposed to work against mosquitos -- either rubbing it on your
skin or clothes or spraying the yard.

And it ain't toxic. Well, what they sell at Lowes might be...but don't buy
that one for anything other than its approved use as an insecticide -- it is
supposed to be a concentrated form of the chemicals in Neem that most affect
bugs.

You can put it in torches like citronella at 1%.

It is kinda pricey tho...but then $200 then lots of propane ain't cheap
either. Gardens of the Ancients sells a rather large bottle (16 oz) for $25.

Right now I'm trying it as a non-toxic insecticide -- bugs hate the taste of
it. Watched a grasshopper walk all over a lemon tree trying to eat a leaf
the other day and he wouldn't take a single bite! Usually, this is their
most favorite tree in my yard!

You'll hate the smell for the first couple minutes...but then OFF doesn't
smell great either.

Out here in Leander, we are getting less than half the rain Cedar Park is --
only 5 miles away to my sister-in-law whom has mosquitos like crazy yet we
have almost none.

John Jarrett

Old 23-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Austinite

You might try the following link to a book on building a bat house:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...e&s=books&st=*

I haven't done it yet myself but I can tell you there are zero mosquitos on
town lake near the bat bridge.

"Lucy" wrote in message
om...
We have bad mosquitoes also... from a commercial neighbor with
standing water and living near a creek is what we figure. Neighbors
have tried the propane powered magnets and they all returned them.
*Supposedly*, the particular breed of mosquito in Austin is not
attracted to them. The best luck people have had is with spraying
permethrin (sp?) which I think is not bad for pets (someone correct me
if I'm wrong!). We just got some from Home Depot and plan to spray
soon.
Here's a link to check out from the Texas A&M extension:
http://bexar-tx.tamu.edu/IPM/Landsca...Repellents.htm

Good Luck!

m...

Old 24-06-2003, 03:56 AM
N. Woolley

Actually, Mexican Freetail bats mostly eat the corn earworm moth. How
about some Chimney Swifts instead?
http://www.concentric.net/~Dwa/

-Nancy

Old 01-07-2003, 03:44 AM
Powdered Toast Man

Minga wrote...
biting *******s. I cant go outside for more than 10 minutes and not get
bit like crazy. I dont really feel like pouring on 8 lbs of 'deet' just
to grill a steak!

Actually I find that smoking meats seems to mess them up. Try throwing
a handful of wet hickory on the coals if you're out BBQ'ing.

My wife spent a lot of her childhood in Belize... she says the locals
swear by mosquito coils.

PTM
Old 01-07-2003, 02:08 PM
adng

The propane powered devices apparently do not work for us here in
Austin. The dominant mosquito here is the Asian Tiger, a very small
mosquito with white stripes on the legs. They are not attracted to
carbon dioxide (I think) which is what I believe the propane device
keys on. The larger, native coastal mosquitos are attracted to this
and therefore it works well there, just not here. Last I heard they
were trying to figure out how to attract the Asian Tigers, it just
isn't there yet.

I don't know that we are particularly "known" for mosquitos, but they
can be very bad here. Little *******s is a pretty good descriptor.

Be careful about just going out the way I do, my wife is ready to
throttle me when I come in from yard work covered in mosquito bites
(the bites don't bother me too much, 30 minutes and the bite is gone
for me- and I keep forgetting the DEET). West Nile Virus is around
and can be a serious problem if you get it.

andyd