Old 19-06-2007, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Copper beech hedge

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 18/6/07 17:08, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
"TheScullster" writes:

| In any case, I opted for a mixed hedge which is both evergreen,
colourful
| and IMHO more "interesting".
| This comprises: escallonia, ceanothus, illeagnus, honey suckle,
photinia
and
| one or two others.

Is an illeagnus an eleagnus that is a bit poorly :-)

I would also recommend bay for a mixed hedge in areas where that lot
will grow. It has moderately attractive flowers and is useful and
evergreen (and takes hard pruning, which is why I was reminded of it).

A mixed hedge over a large area can look good if chosen well. Over a
small
area it can easily look a mess if intended to be a hedge, rather than
individual plants allowed to follow their own growth pattern. The OP does
not, I think have a large area on which he wants to plant a hedge.

for clarity the "hedge" will hide a brick wall which is about 5 feet tall.
behind the wall is a field, I would love to take down the wall and give
access to hedgehogs but we have about 6 x 6 feet brambles behind the wall.

I first suggested fixing a heavy duty wire net to the wall and growing
honeysuckle. I find it is a triumph that he is happy for the leylandii to
go and so I will consider all the options and provide him with the pros and
cons.

with some manipulation I'm sure I will get my own way!! :-)

Old 19-06-2007, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

A mixed hedge over a large area can look good if chosen well. Over a
small
area it can easily look a mess if intended to be a hedge, rather than
individual plants allowed to follow their own growth pattern. The OP does
not, I think have a large area on which he wants to plant a hedge.

Not sure what you mean by a large "area".
The hedge I describe is maintained at about 600mm (2') deep, 1200mm (4')
high and extends for a length of about 20m.
I guess in this case the length is irrelevant, but, apart from the photinia
I mentioned, the other varieties seem to cohabit OK in this layout.

Phil

Old 19-06-2007, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/6/07 15:11, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Reminds me of a judge who, after a long dissertation by a barrister said
| plaintively "Mr Smith, I am afraid I'm none the wiser", to which the
| barrister replied "No, m'lud but your lordship is better informed." ;-))

F.E. Smith, I'll be bound.

I looked it up and it was Mr (later Lord) Denning. I just used 'Smith'
rather than Bloggs. ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-06-2007, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Space wrote:
for clarity the "hedge" will hide a brick wall which is about 5 feet
tall. behind the wall is a field, I would love to take down the wall
and give access to hedgehogs but we have about 6 x 6 feet brambles
behind the wall.
I first suggested fixing a heavy duty wire net to the wall and growing
honeysuckle. I find it is a triumph that he is happy for the
leylandii to go and so I will consider all the options and provide
him with the pros and cons.

with some manipulation I'm sure I will get my own way!! :-)

Space.... I knew someone who went by that name in South Devon... You
perhaps? She was in a band called "Planet Waves" around Totnes a while
ago...

Also, the boy / girl thing. Try being called (i can hardly bring myself to
type it...) "Leslie"! An awful time going through school.

Although nowadays if i'm mistaken for a girl i take it as a compliment....

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"These people believe the souls of fried space aliens inhabit their
bodies and hold soup cans to get rid of them. I should care what they
think?"...Valerie Emmanuel

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old 21-06-2007, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Les Hemmings" wrote in message
Space wrote:
for clarity the "hedge" will hide a brick wall which is about 5 feet
tall. behind the wall is a field, I would love to take down the wall
and give access to hedgehogs but we have about 6 x 6 feet brambles
behind the wall.
I first suggested fixing a heavy duty wire net to the wall and growing
honeysuckle. I find it is a triumph that he is happy for the
leylandii to go and so I will consider all the options and provide
him with the pros and cons.

with some manipulation I'm sure I will get my own way!! :-)

Space.... I knew someone who went by that name in South Devon... You
perhaps? She was in a band called "Planet Waves" around Totnes a while
ago...

sorry not me, never even been near Devon.

Also, the boy / girl thing. Try being called (i can hardly bring myself to
type it...) "Leslie"! An awful time going through school.

Hehe - kids can be so cruel!!

Although nowadays if i'm mistaken for a girl i take it as a compliment....

Huh?