Old 18-06-2007, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Copper beech hedge

On 18/6/07 22:53, in article ,
"Space" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 18/6/07 17:08, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

. The OP does
not, I think have a large area on which he wants to plant a hedge.

"She" not "he"

Hard to tell when it's a Blank Space. ;-)
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-06-2007, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

Maclaren" wrote:

. The OP does
not, I think have a large area on which he wants to plant a hedge.

"She" not "he"

Hard to tell when it's a Blank Space. ;-)

there was a clue I think in one of my replies

Old 19-06-2007, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Space" writes:

| "She" not "he"
|
| Hard to tell when it's a Blank Space. ;-)
|
| there was a clue I think in one of my replies

I have enough problem sexing dioecious plants, but now I learn that
blank space comes in various sexes (how many, incidentally?) - how
do you sex it?

Bizarre :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-06-2007, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Space" writes:

| "She" not "he"
|
| Hard to tell when it's a Blank Space. ;-)
|
| there was a clue I think in one of my replies

I have enough problem sexing dioecious plants, but now I learn that
blank space comes in various sexes (how many, incidentally?) - how
do you sex it?

Bizarre :-)

easy, read and don't make assumptions.

Btw, thanks to all for the help

(oh and try more to make people feel comfortable, a name is a name even when
it is a pseudonym)

Old 19-06-2007, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Space" writes:

| I have enough problem sexing dioecious plants, but now I learn that
| blank space comes in various sexes (how many, incidentally?) - how
| do you sex it?
|
| Bizarre :-)
|
| easy, read and don't make assumptions.

I don't, but damned if I going to read back through previous postings
in order to extract such information! Still, frankly, who gives a
damn? I was called "she" for an entirely thread at one time, for
reasons that I never could work out, and never bothered to correct it;
eventually someone else did, the mistaken person posted an apology,
and I said that none was needed - exactly WHAT difference did it make?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-06-2007, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/6/07 10:55, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
"Space" writes:

| I have enough problem sexing dioecious plants, but now I learn that
| blank space comes in various sexes (how many, incidentally?) - how
| do you sex it?
|
| Bizarre :-)
|
| easy, read and don't make assumptions.

I don't, but damned if I going to read back through previous postings
in order to extract such information! Still, frankly, who gives a
damn? I was called "she" for an entirely thread at one time, for
reasons that I never could work out, and never bothered to correct it;
eventually someone else did, the mistaken person posted an apology,
and I said that none was needed - exactly WHAT difference did it make?

None at all to the advice requested but a somewhat churlish reaction, IMO.
When I first posted here a lot of people thought I was male, possibly
because of the way I spell my name.

Old 19-06-2007, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| None at all to the advice requested but a somewhat churlish reaction, IMO.
| When I first posted here a lot of people thought I was male, possibly
| because of the way I spell my name.

Is there a specifically female variant of that? I didn't realise.
While I was called Nicky only by one aunt, that is one of the truly
ambiguous forms.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-06-2007, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

. uk...
Maclaren" wrote:

None at all to the advice requested but a somewhat churlish reaction, IMO.
When I first posted here a lot of people thought I was male, possibly
because of the way I spell my name.

I made a comment, not a scathing attack. Why churlish? I think you have all
gotten a little over excited. But never mind.

Starting over......

I'm Sue in Liverpool. A messy front and back garden and little idea of
where to start. Although when watching these garden makeover programmes I
realise mine is no-where near as bad as some of the "before" gardens.

I seem to have a habit of buying plants, leaving them in their pots until I
decide on where they go, and then find they are dead!

Old 19-06-2007, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/6/07 11:34, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| None at all to the advice requested but a somewhat churlish reaction, IMO.
| When I first posted here a lot of people thought I was male, possibly
| because of the way I spell my name.

Is there a specifically female variant of that? I didn't realise.
While I was called Nicky only by one aunt, that is one of the truly
ambiguous forms.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha is a diminutive of Alexander and Sasha of Alexandra. I was christened
Sandra but since my stepfather died there is literally nobody left who calls
me that. A brother started calling me Sacha and it stuck.

Old 19-06-2007, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Sacha is a diminutive of Alexander and Sasha of Alexandra. I was christened
| Sandra but since my stepfather died there is literally nobody left who calls
| me that. A brother started calling me Sacha and it stuck.

I live and learn!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-06-2007, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/6/07 11:45, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Sacha is a diminutive of Alexander and Sasha of Alexandra. I was
christened
| Sandra but since my stepfather died there is literally nobody left who
calls
| me that. A brother started calling me Sacha and it stuck.

I live and learn!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Reminds me of a judge who, after a long dissertation by a barrister said
plaintively "Mr Smith, I am afraid I'm none the wiser", to which the
barrister replied "No, m'lud but your lordship is better informed." ;-))

Old 19-06-2007, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/6/07 11:38, in article , "Space"
wrote:

. uk...
Maclaren" wrote:

None at all to the advice requested but a somewhat churlish reaction, IMO.
When I first posted here a lot of people thought I was male, possibly
because of the way I spell my name.

I made a comment, not a scathing attack. Why churlish? I think you have all
gotten a little over excited. But never mind.

It's the peril of the written word, as opposed to those spoken, face to
face. Meaning and intention can be lost!

Starting over......

I'm Sue in Liverpool. A messy front and back garden and little idea of
where to start. Although when watching these garden makeover programmes I
realise mine is no-where near as bad as some of the "before" gardens.

I'm extremely wary of the 'return visit a year later' with regard to those
gardens. There really are no instant gardens in the 'bung plants in and
leave them alone' sense. Every kind of garden - even pots and a bit of
grass - need some attention, watering, tidying, pruning, deadheading etc.

I seem to have a habit of buying plants, leaving them in their pots until I
decide on where they go, and then find they are dead!

I'm sure we've all done that, especially when time is pressing in other
directions, too. Perhaps the answer to your garden is 'eating the elephant'
i.e. a little at a time. Prepare as much as you can do in one day or half
day and plant that up and so on. And if you appear to have good gardening
neighbours, ask their advice if you're not sure and most people just love to
give it! One thing that seems to create instant tidiness is a cut lawn with
clipped edges!

Old 19-06-2007, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 19/6/07 11:38, in article , "Space"
wrote:

. uk...
Maclaren" wrote:

None at all to the advice requested but a somewhat churlish reaction,
IMO.
When I first posted here a lot of people thought I was male, possibly
because of the way I spell my name.

I made a comment, not a scathing attack. Why churlish? I think you have
all
gotten a little over excited. But never mind.

It's the peril of the written word, as opposed to those spoken, face to
face. Meaning and intention can be lost!

Very true

Starting over......

I'm Sue in Liverpool. A messy front and back garden and little idea of
where to start. Although when watching these garden makeover programmes
realise mine is no-where near as bad as some of the "before" gardens.

I'm extremely wary of the 'return visit a year later' with regard to those
gardens. There really are no instant gardens in the 'bung plants in and
leave them alone' sense. Every kind of garden - even pots and a bit of
grass - need some attention, watering, tidying, pruning, deadheading etc.

I was making reference to the before - the types with the fallen down shed,
and a small zoo living in a corner of a neglected garden.

We do keep the grass nice although we only clip the egdges sporadically. We
are working on the inside of the house and I am loathe to plant up borders
only to change it all when we know what we are doing re landscaping and can
afford it. but....i also want established plants!!

so far, i have made a small peice of decking for planted pots with bamboos,
a couple of acers, a hosta and some grassees. for the fisrt year ever i
didn't use the blue pellets (i was holding out to buy some copper tape).
The slugs have *totally* destroyed the hosta.

I seem to have a habit of buying plants, leaving them in their pots until
decide on where they go, and then find they are dead!

I'm sure we've all done that, especially when time is pressing in other
directions, too. Perhaps the answer to your garden is 'eating the
elephant'
i.e. a little at a time. Prepare as much as you can do in one day or half
day and plant that up and so on. And if you appear to have good gardening
neighbours, ask their advice if you're not sure and most people just love
give it! One thing that seems to create instant tidiness is a cut lawn
with
clipped edges!

our neighbours are great and really good gardeners. they helped me to
correctly arrange some plants that I have bought for a border in the front
garden. doesn't sound like but they are eager to help. I mentioned that I
was going to buy a new hosta, next morning a recently dug up hosta was
handed over the garden fence.

Old 19-06-2007, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Reminds me of a judge who, after a long dissertation by a barrister said
| plaintively "Mr Smith, I am afraid I'm none the wiser", to which the
| barrister replied "No, m'lud but your lordship is better informed." ;-))

F.E. Smith, I'll be bound.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.