Old 25-06-2007, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default So much rain!

Nearly two inches of rain in 24 hours. Wet and getting wetter.

Perhaps time to consider alternative crops - like rice?

We don't have problems with mice nibbling at the vegetables any more - more
likelihood of them being nibbled by haddock.

David.

Old 25-06-2007, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"David \(Normandy\)" writes:
| Nearly two inches of rain in 24 hours. Wet and getting wetter.
|
| Perhaps time to consider alternative crops - like rice?

Too bloody cold for that. The roots of several water plants (e.g.
club mace) contain a lot of starch - does anyone know what they
taste like?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-06-2007, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote ...
after "David \(Normandy\)" writes:
| Nearly two inches of rain in 24 hours. Wet and getting wetter.
|
| Perhaps time to consider alternative crops - like rice?

Too bloody cold for that. The roots of several water plants (e.g.
club mace) contain a lot of starch - does anyone know what they
taste like?

Didn't the poor used to make a flour and bread out of it? Or am I thinking
of another water plant.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-06-2007, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:18:58 +0200, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:

Nearly two inches of rain in 24 hours. Wet and getting wetter.

Perhaps time to consider alternative crops - like rice?

We don't have problems with mice nibbling at the vegetables any more -
more
likelihood of them being nibbled by haddock.

First decapitated mouse of the season brought in by one of the cats last
night.
--

Martin

The mice will evolve fins soon.
-
David.

Old 25-06-2007, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip
Have you seen the photos of floods in the Sheffield Barnsley area on the
BBC
website?
--

Martin

my daughter has just called to tell me that her allotment has been washed
away in Gloucestershire but that is not really bad when compared what others
are going thro.
That poor young man stuck down a manhole and a child washed away, doesn't
bear thinking about, my prayers and thoughts go out to the people close to
them.

kate

Old 25-06-2007, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/6/07 22:46, in article
, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

snip
Have you seen the photos of floods in the Sheffield Barnsley area on the
BBC
website?
--

Martin

my daughter has just called to tell me that her allotment has been washed
away in Gloucestershire but that is not really bad when compared what others
are going thro.
That poor young man stuck down a manhole and a child washed away, doesn't
bear thinking about, my prayers and thoughts go out to the people close to
them.

The horror of both those deaths and the manner of them just doesn't bear
thinking about. What their families must be suffering is simply dreadful.
It's awful for all those whose homes are damaged by floodwater but such
terrible deaths are unimaginable.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 26-06-2007, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David
Fancy an allotment?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8272033...7600198041848/

Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 26-06-2007, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"cliff_the_gardener" wrote in message
ups.com...
David
Fancy an allotment?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8272033...7600198041848/

Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Strange place to have an allotment - in the middle of a river?
Joking aside it must be awful getting your lotty flooded. Much damage?
I see on the news that much of the UK has suffered badly and people have
died.
Terrible business.
I've been tracking the rain fall on my rain gauge, hence my original
posting.
According to the forecast the weekend may be bad too. Unfortunately there is
little to be done to prevent all the damage. I'm just thankful our house and
garden are at the top of a slope so we are unlikely to get flooded.

David.

Old 26-06-2007, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/6/07 16:23, in article ,
"David (Normandy)" wrote:

[...]

As small consolation, we have a bit of sun here, though followed by dark
clouds. And the barometer is going up a bit towards 'Fair'.

Old 26-06-2007, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

[...]

And it's all down to global warming!

Old 27-06-2007, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

[...]

Quite likely, but I suspect no serious steps will be taken by any
governments until the trend is too late to reverse. Be interesting to know
where the next "stable point" regarding the weather will be and whether it
is beyond the extremes of human survival.

David.

Old 27-06-2007, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David (Normandy) wrote:
[...]

But global warming was bringing mild wet Winters and hot dry Summers. So
another thing the experts have got wrong, like the cause, unless the
Martians are generating lots of carbon dioxide as well, because Mars is
warming up also. Still yet another excuse to get more taxes from us, so
that politicians and civil servants can be sure of their inflation proof
pensions.
Old 27-06-2007, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I was trying to be cynical!

So called 'global warming' is a con to extract more money from us in
unnecessary taxation.

Old 27-06-2007, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Alan, while I share your cynicism about Governments and taxation I don't
share your belief that global warning doesn't exist. Governments definitely
make as much political capital as they can out of any situation. As a
consequence it creates disbelief about anything they say.

I have a scientific background and have been following the detailed science
behind global warning for many years. There is an huge amount of evidence to
say it does exist.

http://environment.newscientist.com/.../earth/dn11462

The big question is what is the cause of it? Here too the scientific
evidence points towards it being man made, but this is not a 100% cast iron
certainty. Unfortunately proof in this area is a bit like proving that
playing Russian roulette with a six shooter loaded with a single bullet is
dangerous. "Click" - I'm still alive so strong evidence that it is not
dangerous?
If the cause of global warming does indeed turn out to be man made, then I
don't expect there to be conclusive proof until it has gone so far as to be
irreversible by man. The average man in the street will then blame
scientists and governments for not acting before it was too late.

Until then the belief of the masses will be like the captain of the Titanic
who reportedly said "We are unsinkable".

David.

Old 27-06-2007, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Broadback writes
David (Normandy) wrote:

Quite likely, but I suspect no serious steps will be taken by any
governments until the trend is too late to reverse. Be interesting to
know where the next "stable point" regarding the weather will be and
whether it is beyond the extremes of human survival.

No steps will be taken until enough people feel it is enough of a
problem to be worth bearing the inevitable pain of trying to do
something about it. I was hoping that the last week's events would help
shift towards that and away from the attitude 'global warning? Britain
like the south of France? Bring it on!'

But global warming was bringing mild wet Winters and hot dry Summers.

It was also bringing many more extreme events, which is precisely what
we are seeing.

So another thing the experts have got wrong, like the cause, unless the
Martians are generating lots of carbon dioxide as well, because Mars is
warming up also. Still yet another excuse to get more taxes from us, so
that politicians and civil servants can be sure of their inflation
proof pensions.

Well, I suppose I can still hope.
--
Kay