Old 20-07-2007, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grass carp

Someone has suggested grass carp for the duckweed problem on one of our
ponds. But the general impression I get from the little I read is that they
grow to enormous sizes, are lake fish and are banned in US because they
devastate lake vegetation. Does anyone here have any experience of these in
UK and ponds, not lakes?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-07-2007, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We were going to get some grass carp but was told they will eat all the
green weed you have in the ponds given half a chance. Someone suggested
fencing off the weed with the plastic crop protection stuff you got.

Donna

. uk...

Old 20-07-2007, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We used to mow our lawn using guinea-pigs. I know it's been wet,
but I goggle at having to use carp for the purpose!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-07-2007, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

We used to mow our lawn using guinea-pigs.

Bit like this ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J2FytvoS9M
Jenny "~))

Old 20-07-2007, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 12:13:38 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Someone has suggested grass carp for the duckweed problem on one of our
ponds. But the general impression I get from the little I read is that they
grow to enormous sizes, are lake fish and are banned in US because they
devastate lake vegetation. Does anyone here have any experience of these in
UK and ponds, not lakes?

I haven't had any for about 40 years. They weren't much trouble. They
only grow to their huge size while there is lots of food available.
Once they have eaten your duckweed and every other plant in your pond.

The problem with grass carp is they don't look very nice and are a bit
messy if they need to dig up the pond.

Steve

--
Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

http://www.easynn.com

Old 20-07-2007, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:01:36 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

wrote:

Someone has suggested grass carp for the duckweed problem on one of our
ponds. But the general impression I get from the little I read is that they
grow to enormous sizes, are lake fish and are banned in US because they
devastate lake vegetation. Does anyone here have any experience of these in
UK and ponds, not lakes?

I haven't had any for about 40 years. They weren't much trouble. They
only grow to their huge size while there is lots of food available.
Once they have eaten your duckweed and every other plant in your pond.

The problem with grass carp is they don't look very nice and are a bit
messy if they need to dig up the pond.

Steve

Matthew now tells me he put some in the oldest pond some years ago! Trouble
is, he can't remember what they look like or where he got them...! I'm not
sure he's remembering the right thing because that pond is full of
oxygenating weed, which nothing is eating!

There are lots of places that stock grass carp. Try Google. If the
pond still has a lot of weeds then maybe they weren't grass carp. It's
worth remembering that it is only the young grass carp that feed on
plants. Mature ones are a bit fussy. There is a few plants that grass
carp don't eat unless the are starving. They won't eat plants if
someone is feeding them. Grass carp are a boring silvery gray. Unlike
other carp their mouth tends to turn down.

Steve

Old 20-07-2007, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi..

Someone has suggested grass carp for the duckweed problem
on one of our
ponds.

Hm.., personally I've never had any grass carps but
goldfish, and goldfish are well known to eat duckweed..

Remember my aquariums and summer pond with goldfish without
any duckweed probs..

How big is the pond, how is it stocked and how is it
planted..?

But the general impression I get from the little I
read is that they grow to enormous sizes, are lake fish
and are banned in US because they
devastate lake vegetation.

Right..

Does anyone here have any
experience of these in UK and ponds, not lakes?

Me..? For heaven's sake - never..! :-)

--
cu
Marco, shivering..
Old 20-07-2007, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
Someone has suggested grass carp for the duckweed problem on one of
our ponds. But the general impression I get from the little I read
is that they grow to enormous sizes, are lake fish and are banned in
US because they devastate lake vegetation. Does anyone here have any
experience of these in UK and ponds, not lakes?

Train them to leave Wimbledon stripes...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8bt6K521o3Y

L )

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"These people believe the souls of fried space aliens inhabit their
bodies and hold soup cans to get rid of them. I should care what they
think?"...Valerie Emmanuel

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old 21-07-2007, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
Someone has suggested grass carp for the duckweed problem on one of
our ponds. But the general impression I get from the little I read
is that they grow to enormous sizes, are lake fish and are banned in
US because they devastate lake vegetation. Does anyone here have any
experience of these in UK and ponds, not lakes?

Pop in here sacha..........
http://www.forums.pondlife.eu/forum/index.php

and ask. Very clever folk.
HTH
--
ßôyþëtë
London, UK

Old 21-07-2007, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 21, 7:39 pm, "BoyPete" wrote:
Pop in here sacha..........http://www.forums.pondlife.eu/forum/index.php

and ask. Very clever folk.
HTH
--
ßôyþëtë

Aha, where have you been? and where are my Bluebell bulbs!!

Judith

Old 21-07-2007, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/7/07 19:39, in article , "BoyPete"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
Someone has suggested grass carp for the duckweed problem on one of
our ponds. But the general impression I get from the little I read
is that they grow to enormous sizes, are lake fish and are banned in
US because they devastate lake vegetation. Does anyone here have any
experience of these in UK and ponds, not lakes?

Pop in here sacha..........
http://www.forums.pondlife.eu/forum/index.php

and ask. Very clever folk.
HTH

I will and thank you. As long as I don't have to sign up to anything!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

Newbie question about carp y2jayplus1 Ponds 0 22-03-2004 05:30 PM
German carp Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 5 23-11-2003 10:24 PM
Real Carp don't eat Koi food joe Ponds 0 14-08-2003 05:22 PM
How long do carp live? JohnB Ponds 10 02-07-2003 02:32 PM
Triploid Grass Carp in Koi Pond??? Dennis Ponds 2 24-06-2003 10:56 PM