Old 26-07-2007, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Humane Mole Traps?

Has anyone actually caught a live mole in on of these?

http://www.pestfree.co.uk/livemole.htm

Or are they a waste of money?

Chris

Old 26-07-2007, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Skokiaan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone actually caught a live mole in on of these?

http://www.pestfree.co.uk/livemole.htm

Or are they a waste of money?

Chris

No idea about humane traps but check it's legal to release moles again.

I recently tried 5 sissor traps and 5 half barrel traps. The barrel traps
were very effective and easier to cover over. You do need to adjust (bend)
them a bit to adjust the sensitivity when you first get them.

Old 26-07-2007, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 23:56:26 -0700, Skokiaan
wrote:

Has anyone actually caught a live mole in on of these?

http://www.pestfree.co.uk/livemole.htm

Or are they a waste of money?

Chris

I think a hosepipe down the run and leave water running for an hour is
very effective - it also waters the roots of the lawn.
Old 26-07-2007, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

wrote:

Has anyone actually caught a live mole in on of these?

http://www.pestfree.co.uk/livemole.htm

Or are they a waste of money?

Chris

I think a hosepipe down the run and leave water running for an hour is
very effective - it also waters the roots of the lawn.

It is amazing how fast moles can run across the surface when their tunnels
are flooding.

Old 26-07-2007, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 26, 7:56 am, Skokiaan
wrote:
Has anyone actually caught a live mole in on of these?

http://www.pestfree.co.uk/livemole.htm

Or are they a waste of money?

Chris

I've given up trying to get rid of the moles, we even paid for a chap
to come in and put down worms which had been treated to kill them.

I tried the hose down the hole, didn't work. I bought some stuf in
France to water down the holes, didn't work. I got advice from Jane
Ranson, old time urgler who is "the expert" on mole catching, didn't
work. The only thing that did work to kill one was when I was getting
out of the car one evening. I saw the earth move, and, without
thinking, I bent down and attacked the heaving earth with my handbag,
there was earth flying everywhere, I never caught another one by any
method after that.

Judith

Old 26-07-2007, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 26, 7:56 am, Skokiaan
wrote:
Has anyone actually caught a live mole in on of these?

http://www.pestfree.co.uk/livemole.htm

Or are they a waste of money?

Chris

I've given up trying to get rid of the moles, we even paid for a chap
to come in and put down worms which had been treated to kill them.

I tried the hose down the hole, didn't work. I bought some stuf in
France to water down the holes, didn't work. I got advice from Jane
Ranson, old time urgler who is "the expert" on mole catching, didn't
work. The only thing that did work to kill one was when I was getting
out of the car one evening. I saw the earth move, and, without
thinking, I bent down and attacked the heaving earth with my handbag,
there was earth flying everywhere, I never caught another one by any
method after that.

I've seen a Bengal cat hunting moles on a nearby playing field this year,
and, judging by the marked reduction in mole hills in comparison with
previous years, it has had some success.

Old 26-07-2007, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Skokiaan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone actually caught a live mole in on of these?

http://www.pestfree.co.uk/livemole.htm

Or are they a waste of money?

Why on earth would anyone want a 'humane' mole trap, what is vital is to
kill the beggars?

Old 26-07-2007, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Has anyone actually caught a live mole in on of these?

http://www.pestfree.co.uk/livemole.htm

Or are they a waste of money?

Chris

I think a hosepipe down the run and leave water running for an hour is
very effective - it also waters the roots of the lawn.

I doubt that works...

Anyone with a mole problem should read this DEFRA survey of mole control
methods used across Europe, Just about every old wives tale is covered. It
runs to 30 pages...

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-cou...ole-review.pdf

Old 26-07-2007, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I can assure everyone that barrel traps used correctly will get rid of
moles.

I put down 5 traps just after moving into my new house. Next day there was a
mole in the trap so I took it out and reset the trap. I cut the lawn and
went back to find a second mole in the same trap!. I went on to catch about
7 of 8 over a period of 5 days. They appear to be gone.

Don't waste time an money with any other solution. I've tried flooding,
repellants, ultrasonic devices - the lot. Nothing worked like the barrel
traps. They aren't for the squeamish but they work.

PS No I don't sell them! But you can get them from lots of places including
ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mole-Trap-Doub...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 27-07-2007, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 26, 7:56 am, Skokiaan
wrote:
Has anyone actually caught a live mole in on of these?

http://www.pestfree.co.uk/livemole.htm

Or are they a waste of money?

Chris

I've given up trying to get rid of the moles, we even paid for a chap
to come in and put down worms which had been treated to kill them.

I tried the hose down the hole, didn't work. I bought some stuf in
France to water down the holes, didn't work. I got advice from Jane
Ranson, old time urgler who is "the expert" on mole catching, didn't
work. The only thing that did work to kill one was when I was getting
out of the car one evening. I saw the earth move, and, without
thinking, I bent down and attacked the heaving earth with my handbag,
there was earth flying everywhere, I never caught another one by any
method after that.

What a wonderful sight that must have been. I have a mental image of a lady
in evening dress and high heels beating the lawn with a tiny dress handbag
with dead moles flying everywhere. Oh for a video of that.

Mike

Ps I rid my old garden of moles by sticking a hosepipe connected to the
exhaust of a petrol engine down their runs. Not seen one here yet.

Mike

Old 27-07-2007, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/7/07 11:22, in article ,
"Muddymike" wrote:

" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 26, 7:56 am, Skokiaan
wrote:
[...]

Well, if it's not that it's the Death By Gold Slippers. ;-)

Mike

Ps I rid my old garden of moles by sticking a hosepipe connected to the
exhaust of a petrol engine down their runs. Not seen one here yet.

Mike

That's a tried and true method as long as you stop up all other holes first.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-07-2007, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Jul 26, 7:56 am, Skokiaan
wrote:
Has anyone actually caught a live mole in on of these?

http://www.pestfree.co.uk/livemole.htm

Or are they a waste of money?

Chris

I've given up trying to get rid of the moles, we even paid for a chap
to come in and put down worms which had been treated to kill them.

I tried the hose down the hole, didn't work. I bought some stuf in
France to water down the holes, didn't work. I got advice from Jane
Ranson, old time urgler who is "the expert" on mole catching, didn't
work. The only thing that did work to kill one was when I was getting
out of the car one evening. I saw the earth move, and, without
thinking, I bent down and attacked the heaving earth with my handbag,
there was earth flying everywhere, I never caught another one by any
method after that.

I was playing golf with a friend and waiting on the tee for the match
ahead to get out of range. My playing partner nudged me, and there on
the tee to our side appeared a mole hill in the act of being excavated.
Without thinking, I swung my driver at the mole hill, broke the driver
shaft, and no sign of the mole. Since that time, and I've seen quite a
few mole hills being excavated on the golf course, I let them get on
with it. The driver shaft cost me £25 pounds. An expensive experience.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26 Jul, 07:56, Skokiaan
wrote:
Has anyone actually caught a live mole in on of these?

http://www.pestfree.co.uk/livemole.htm

Or are they a waste of money?

Chris

Well from all the replies it seems no one's tried one yet & I shall be
a pioneer!

Thanks for all the advice but I've tried nearly all the methods
suggested already, except for hitting it with a handbag!

One method not suggested, which I tried, was pouring urine down the
holes, it also didn't work. Someone said that female urine was more
effective, but trying to coax the wife into participating was met with
a stony glare & I did not pursue it.

Flooding the runs with a hosepipe also seemed a good suggestion, after
about four hours I began to get a bit worried as to where all the
water was going......until I noticed my pond liner floating on the
surface!

The only method to work reliably is the barrel traps, but twice I've
found moles caught by the foot, and I'm not too sure that they kill
the moles quickly even when they do catch the mole properly.

Chris