Old 06-10-2007, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wormeries - are they worth having?

In article . com,
Des Higgins writes:

| I agree with this; battery hens and chickens are a real issue that
| real action could be taken on whereas the foie gras thing is almost
| laughably silly. I last tasted it nearly 10 years ago (in France).
| Here in Ireland, some county councils passed motions banning nuclear
| weapons. Such lofty pronouncements are lazy and involve zero hardship
| on the man in the street. Not eatng chicken or only eating free range
| chicken involves people having to pay more or do something.

Do something, yes, but I doubt that the price difference between the
current state and stopping the worst abuses would be noticeable.
But the mass producers (yes, you, Bernard) and supermarkets would
scream.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article . com,
Des Higgins writes:

| I agree with this; battery hens and chickens are a real issue that
| real action could be taken on whereas the foie gras thing is almost
| laughably silly. I last tasted it nearly 10 years ago (in France).
| Here in Ireland, some county councils passed motions banning nuclear
| weapons. Such lofty pronouncements are lazy and involve zero hardship
| on the man in the street. Not eatng chicken or only eating free range
| chicken involves people having to pay more or do something.

Do something, yes, but I doubt that the price difference between the
current state and stopping the worst abuses would be noticeable.
But the mass producers (yes, you, Bernard) and supermarkets would
scream.

So?

Mary

Old 06-10-2007, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 6, 12:42 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Des Higgins" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Oct 6, 11:32 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Des Higgins" wrote in message

... The wormery was
for small volumes of kitchen waste (rice, fois gras, caviar past
best
by date etc.). ...

How on Earth do you have such leftovers? We never had food leftovers
here
but I wouldn't put them on the garden compost heap even if we did.

Mary

ehhhh, I was possibly joking.

I guessed that, but how can you have any kind of food waste?

It wastes money as well as nutrients. It's also a waste of effort for the
growers, sellers and preparers - even if you prepared it yourself. I
think
that's an insult to those people. If it's animal food it's a waste of a
part
of that animal's life.

Mary
Not a WI member

It is really easy;

Ah, I see.

I live in a city; I work hard during the day and
sometimes at weekends and evenings; we have kids; we do not have any
livestock (no chickens, no dog; no goat and now no worms); we do
recycle more than almost anyone I know; we are one of the few people
in my area to even have a compost heap; our fridge is full of
leftovers; we grow some of our own veg (in our suburban back garden);
it is still impossible to avoid throwing stuff out and have a life.

No it isn't. It just involves a couple of minutes a day planning. It could
take you that long to go to the compost heap.
We already do more than almost anyone I know in the city and the last
10 yards just are not worth it.

I disagree.

After all that, any food that is
still there and that has become dangerous, gets put on the compost
heap or, in the case of the fois gras and caviar, thrown out.

And I think you mean FOIE gras.

Mary

Des

Old 06-10-2007, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 14:07:09 +0100, Klara
wrote:

Comments invited... And if anyone can think of a good use for that
other spare bin, I'll be interested...

JD

For the first bin: proceed as you say but cut off the very bottom of the
bin, place the bin upside-down, and replace the (proper) lid on what is
now the top. This makes for the right shape, maximum contact with the
soil, and ease of emptying: you just lift it up.

As for the second bin: that's for when this one is full and maturing...

Thanks, Klara. What you just suggested was more or less my original
plan which I didn't mention, as I had decided against it. But since
you've expressed a preference for it, I must reconsider! It certainly
avoids the need to upturn the full bin for emptying purposes. (I'm not
sure how difficult that would be, as I've no idea how heavy it would
be. One snag is that the lid won't fit the bottom of the bin. I could
rest it on top with a brick on it to stop it from blowing away,
perhaps. It also requires butchering two good dustbins instead of only
one.

I wonder if there is an advantage in having the bigger end of the bin
at the bottom because more worms can come and go. Is that one of the
reasons you suggested it?

JD
Old 06-10-2007, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Mary Fisher" writes:

| Do something, yes, but I doubt that the price difference between the
| current state and stopping the worst abuses would be noticeable.
| But the mass producers (yes, you, Bernard) and supermarkets would
| scream.
|
| So?

So our current Lords and Masters aren't prepared to do anything :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher" writes:

| Do something, yes, but I doubt that the price difference between the
| current state and stopping the worst abuses would be noticeable.
| But the mass producers (yes, you, Bernard) and supermarkets would
| scream.
|
| So?

So our current Lords and Masters aren't prepared to do anything :-(

True. Which leaves it to individuals. Those who care already are doing, it's
not as difficult as people think.

Mary

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jakoow
writes
wrote:

[...]

The closer contact with the soil and the larger area does seem to help:
not that I know where the worms come from, as they aren't earthworms. We
have three of these kept exactly the same way, but one has woodlice, one
has worms, one has fruit-flies - the variation must be the result of the
precise amount of moisture, I suppose.

But you don't have to make two: it's easy to lift off the one and shovel
it back for turning. By the way, we also have a wormery, as it was a
present. I quite enjoy it, it uses up much of the kitchen waste, but as
for producing compost, in 14 months we have had about two bucketfuls: a
bought one is really far too expensive for that.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 06-10-2007, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Alan Holmes" writes:
| "Mary Fisher" wrote in message
| t...
| "Des Higgins" wrote in message
|
| ... The wormery was
| for small volumes of kitchen waste (rice, fois gras, caviar past best
| by date etc.). ...
|
| How on Earth do you have such leftovers? We never had food leftovers here
| but I wouldn't put them on the garden compost heap even if we did.
|
| Me too!

Why on earth not? I do. And I have difficulty in believing that you
NEVER forget anything in the fridge, decide that food is too horrible
to eat, or have nothing left over for any of the other common reasons.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 07:08:57 -0700, Des Higgins
wrote:

I agree with this; battery hens and chickens are a real issue that
real action could be taken on whereas the foie gras thing is almost
laughably silly. I last tasted it nearly 10 years ago (in France).
Here in Ireland, some county councils passed motions banning nuclear
weapons. Such lofty pronouncements are lazy and involve zero hardship
on the man in the street. Not eatng chicken or only eating free range
chicken involves people having to pay more or do something.

And it's the same as councils who decide to buy only fair trade tea
and coffee but neglect the fact the milk they serve with it is from
explouted british farmers (or worse it's imported)

I have emailed fairtrade about "fair" milk and they said something
about the UK having a benefits system and as such doesn't need support
for farmers.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Old 06-10-2007, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
"Alan Holmes" writes:
| "Mary Fisher" wrote in message
| t...
| "Des Higgins" wrote in message
|
| ... The wormery was
| for small volumes of kitchen waste (rice, fois gras, caviar past best
| by date etc.). ...
|
| How on Earth do you have such leftovers? We never had food leftovers here
| but I wouldn't put them on the garden compost heap even if we did.
|
| Me too!

Why on earth not? I do. And I have difficulty in believing that you
NEVER forget anything in the fridge, decide that food is too horrible
to eat, or have nothing left over for any of the other common reasons.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Anyway, don't potato peelings, cabbage hearts, the pods of peas
(excluding mange-touts), etc, count as kitchen waste?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Wormeries v Compost Rupert United Kingdom 5 11-10-2006 01:13 PM
wormeries june sweeney Permaculture 3 03-05-2006 03:57 PM
Liquid Feed And Wormeries Steve Burrows United Kingdom 8 06-04-2005 03:54 PM
wormeries in Winter (plus keeping cool in Summer) Amber Ormerod United Kingdom 10 01-02-2005 12:04 PM
is it worth having a garden designer? jayjay United Kingdom 8 09-09-2003 12:29 AM