Old 08-10-2007, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wormeries - are they worth having?

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| Aren't apple stalks good for you? I thought the tiny about of cyanide (?)
| present was a good thing? Should we all eat our apple stalks or will we die
| a horrible death as a result?
|
| While I wouldn't assert that no other parts of the apple plant contain
| cyanide, it is the pips (seeds) that are well known to contain
| cyanogenic glucosides. I am unaware of any reason to believe that the
| consumption of their cyanide content is a good thing - as opposed to not
| markedly harmful in moderation. (I seem to recall that a cupful is
| dangerous.)

Only raw. You need to eat quite a lot more, if they are cooked - I
suspect that eating that much cooked apple in a sitting might have
other effects :-)

I do rather like this one, though, with the concept of Mary Fisher
being a modern Huckleberry Finn ("There ain't gonna be no core").

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| While I wouldn't assert that no other parts of the apple plant contain
| cyanide, it is the pips (seeds) that are well known to contain
| cyanogenic glucosides. I am unaware of any reason to believe that the
| consumption of their cyanide content is a good thing - as opposed to
not
| markedly harmful in moderation. (I seem to recall that a cupful is
| dangerous.)

Only raw. You need to eat quite a lot more, if they are cooked - I
suspect that eating that much cooked apple in a sitting might have
other effects :-)

I like the flavour of apple pips, apricot kernels and the like.

I do rather like this one, though, with the concept of Mary Fisher
being a modern Huckleberry Finn ("There ain't gonna be no core").

I never read that book :-( I first ate an apple core when watching a
fellow cyclist doing it. He became my husband.

Core-eating isn't something I expect from others but I do wonder why people
peel apples before eating them. a daughter in law does it for her chiildren
because she says they won't like them. They've never had them :-)

Mary

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

| I like the flavour of apple pips, apricot kernels and the like.

It's a classic flavouring, after all. We are well adapted to eating
small quantities of cyanides, and they do little or no harm. Quite
a lot of our flavourings are poisonous in overdose.

| I do rather like this one, though, with the concept of Mary Fisher
| being a modern Huckleberry Finn ("There ain't gonna be no core").
|
| I never read that book :-( I first ate an apple core when watching a
| fellow cyclist doing it. He became my husband.

They're interesting, because you discover just how wrong the stereotypes
of the southern USA are, and as a balance to egregious propaganda like
Uncle Tom's Cabin. They are also quite amusing.

| Core-eating isn't something I expect from others but I do wonder why people
| peel apples before eating them. a daughter in law does it for her chiildren
| because she says they won't like them. They've never had them :-)

It's loony, I agree. In most modern apples, the only flavour and
most of the nutrition is in the peel.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" writes:

| I like the flavour of apple pips, apricot kernels and the like.

It's a classic flavouring, after all.

Mmmmmmmmm - marzipan!

We are well adapted to eating
small quantities of cyanides, and they do little or no harm. Quite
a lot of our flavourings are poisonous in overdose.

Yes. That can be extended to 'diseases' too.

| I do rather like this one, though, with the concept of Mary Fisher
| being a modern Huckleberry Finn ("There ain't gonna be no core").
|
| I never read that book :-( I first ate an apple core when watching a
| fellow cyclist doing it. He became my husband.

They're interesting, because you discover just how wrong the stereotypes
of the southern USA are,

I didn't know there were any ...

and as a balance to egregious propaganda like
Uncle Tom's Cabin. They are also quite amusing.

Haven't read that either. I don't read much fiction - there are far too many
books :-(

| Core-eating isn't something I expect from others but I do wonder why
people
| peel apples before eating them. a daughter in law does it for her
chiildren
| because she says they won't like them. They've never had them :-)

It's loony, I agree. In most modern apples, the only flavour and
most of the nutrition is in the peel.

Oh, not the ONLY flavour! Ah - I'd just re-read and see that you say
'modern' apples. I don't know much about them.

The older I get the less I know ... :-(

Or at least, the more I realise how llittle I know :-)

Mary

Old 08-10-2007, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/10/07 10:19, in article ,
"Mary Fisher" wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| While I wouldn't assert that no other parts of the apple plant contain
| cyanide, it is the pips (seeds) that are well known to contain
| cyanogenic glucosides. I am unaware of any reason to believe that the
| consumption of their cyanide content is a good thing - as opposed to
not
| markedly harmful in moderation. (I seem to recall that a cupful is
| dangerous.)

Only raw. You need to eat quite a lot more, if they are cooked - I
suspect that eating that much cooked apple in a sitting might have
other effects :-)

I like the flavour of apple pips, apricot kernels and the like.

I do rather like this one, though, with the concept of Mary Fisher
being a modern Huckleberry Finn ("There ain't gonna be no core").

I never read that book :-( I first ate an apple core when watching a
fellow cyclist doing it. He became my husband.

Core-eating isn't something I expect from others but I do wonder why people
peel apples before eating them. a daughter in law does it for her chiildren
because she says they won't like them. They've never had them :-)

People peel apples because if they've been sprayed, any residual is just
under the skin, or so a grower told me. I peel apples because for some
reason, if I eat them unpeeled I get stomach ache. And I don't like the
skin.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-10-2007, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/10/07 00:08, in article , "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes

"Mary Fisher" writes:

| Why on earth not? I do. And I have difficulty in believing that you
| NEVER forget anything in the fridge, decide that food is too horrible
| to eat, or have nothing left over for any of the other common
reasons.

| It might be difficult for you. For people who've been poor - and
hungry -
| it's not. We waste nothing.

I have, and I doubt that you are that hungry at present.

No but I haven't forgotten those days.

It is also fairly
common for not all of what you buy or grow to be fit to eat. For example,
blighted potatoes.

Even this year our potatoes haven't been blighted and the people I buy from
wouldn't sell them.

There are some parts of food items I don't eat but I wouldn't call them food
so it's not food which is being wasted - e.g. apple stalks.

snip

Aren't apple stalks good for you? I thought the tiny about of cyanide (?)
present was a good thing? Should we all eat our apple stalks or will we die
a horrible death as a result?

While I wouldn't assert that no other parts of the apple plant contain
cyanide, it is the pips (seeds) that are well known to contain
cyanogenic glucosides. I am unaware of any reason to believe that the
consumption of their cyanide content is a good thing - as opposed to not
markedly harmful in moderation. (I seem to recall that a cupful is
dangerous.)

This is what I was thinking of. The govt. recommended 'dose' is no more
than 2 kernels per day:
http://www.anticancerinfo.co.uk/why.htm

Old 08-10-2007, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| While I wouldn't assert that no other parts of the apple plant contain
| cyanide, it is the pips (seeds) that are well known to contain
| cyanogenic glucosides. I am unaware of any reason to believe that the
| consumption of their cyanide content is a good thing - as opposed to not
| markedly harmful in moderation. (I seem to recall that a cupful is
| dangerous.)
|
| This is what I was thinking of. The govt. recommended 'dose' is no more
| than 2 kernels per day:
| http://www.anticancerinfo.co.uk/why.htm

Apple pips have less cyanide than apricot kernels (and are much smaller!),
so half an eggcupful is probably quite safe.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Amethyst Deceiver" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote in
message

Anyway, don't potato peelings,

We don't peel potatoes ...

Neither do we, but the 3yo pulls them off and leaves them.

cabbage hearts,

They're eaten, raw.

Good for you.

the pods of peas

Don't buy them and I'm no good at growing them..

(excluding mange-touts), etc, count as kitchen waste?

Probably, in some households. I understand that pea pods make
excellent soup. If we had them I'd use them in stock. But there
again, I was taught thrifty housekeeping by my mother and my school.

So was I. But I was also taught that once something's been cooked
through once, you need to be careful about recooking it.

So was I. So I am :-)

And what about the things you can't reheat? Or do you never have that? Lucky
you, if so, but pelase don't criticise those of us who do.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:

Core-eating isn't something I expect from others but I do wonder why
people peel apples before eating them. a daughter in law does it for
her chiildren because she says they won't like them. They've never
had them :-)

How do you know?

I peeled YB's apples for a while. If I didn't cut them up he wouldn't eat
them at all. Cut up, he would eat everything down to the skin. Peeling them,
he ate more of the apple than if I let him eat around it.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 8, 12:10 pm, "Amethyst Deceiver"
wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
Core-eating isn't something I expect from others but I do wonder why
people peel apples before eating them. a daughter in law does it for
her chiildren because she says they won't like them. They've never
had them :-)

How do you know?

I peeled YB's apples for a while. If I didn't cut them up he wouldn't eat
them at all. Cut up, he would eat everything down to the skin. Peeling them,
he ate more of the apple than if I let him eat around it.

ditto; this only stopped with my son when we suggested that he could
peel his own apples if he wanted them peeled; then he just ate the
skin. Eating cores is out though; he would rather eat gravel; if we
want him to eat apples, there is give and take; peeling them for a
while was a minor hassle if it meant he would eat some cheap fresh
fruit.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

Foie gras (note new improved spelling) is a bugger to reheat; last lot
I cooked for the kids, they just picked at and complained that the
wine was cheap; the cat got lucky that evening but I think she was not
impressed by the wine either.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
Des Higgins writes:
| On Oct 8, 12:09 pm, "Amethyst Deceiver"
| wrote:
|
| And what about the things you can't reheat? Or do you never have that? Lucky
| you, if so, but pelase don't criticise those of us who do.
|
| Foie gras (note new improved spelling) is a bugger to reheat; last lot
| I cooked for the kids, they just picked at and complained that the
| wine was cheap; the cat got lucky that evening but I think she was not
| impressed by the wine either.

You should have given it some cucumber.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 8, 12:44 pm, "Uncle Marvo"
om, I, Marvo, say :

wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

I cut my kids' apples up chinese stylee. I peel the whole skin off in one go
with a potato peeler, then arrange it in a spiral round the rest which is
cut up like a star.

They will then eat them no problem.

Kids, eh?

who'd 'ave 'em?
kids eating habits can drive you demented but it sounds like you make
it a bit of fun.
I have vivid memories when my kids were younger, of asking them what
they would like to eat and coming up with something that we could all
eat and enjoy and then I cooked it and one tried one mouthful and the
other not even that. This was after they both went vegetarian so
cooking was more complicated than usual due to inexperience and not
being able to bung sausages under grill and serving with baked beans
any more.
They have ended up with pretty good eating habits but it can drive you
nuts on a bad day.

When I was a kid, I used to get bad vomity migraines and I went off
almost anything normal and healthy due to associating things with the
getting sick. I drove my mother nuts; I still cannot eat some things
(gag reflex).
And we lived in a housing estate where choice was pretty limited.

Des

Wormeries v Compost Rupert United Kingdom 5 11-10-2006 01:13 PM
wormeries june sweeney Permaculture 3 03-05-2006 03:57 PM
Liquid Feed And Wormeries Steve Burrows United Kingdom 8 06-04-2005 03:54 PM
wormeries in Winter (plus keeping cool in Summer) Amber Ormerod United Kingdom 10 01-02-2005 12:04 PM
is it worth having a garden designer? jayjay United Kingdom 8 09-09-2003 12:29 AM