Old 10-10-2007, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wormeries - are they worth having?

, I, Marvo, say :

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:
In article , Amethyst Deceiver
says...
I know a number of people who've fallen foul of reheated rice.

Is there a specific problem with rice? When I do a curry or
whatever I normally do enough rice so there is enough to stir fry
the next day or day after.

Not really, though Merkins think that there is. The cause is Bacillus
cereus, which is ubiquitous in the soil and has durable spores. Any
food that is stored at room temperature for days or in kept warm for
hours can cause trouble. The reason that rice is demonised is because
it is the most common food handled like that in the catering trade
(especially the lower end of it).

It is similar to the bloke whose arm got broken by a swan. Everybody's heard
of it, nobody actually knows the victim.

I reheat rice which has been hanging around for a day out of the fridge.

I microwave it. Never died yet, but I suppose there's a first time for
everything.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Amethyst Deceiver" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote in
message

Anyway, don't potato peelings,

We don't peel potatoes ...

Neither do we, but the 3yo pulls them off and leaves them.

cabbage hearts,

They're eaten, raw.

Good for you.

the pods of peas

Don't buy them and I'm no good at growing them..

(excluding mange-touts), etc, count as kitchen waste?

Probably, in some households. I understand that pea pods make
excellent soup. If we had them I'd use them in stock. But there
again, I was taught thrifty housekeeping by my mother and my
school.

So was I. But I was also taught that once something's been cooked
through once, you need to be careful about recooking it.

So was I. So I am :-)

And what about the things you can't reheat? Or do you never have
that? Lucky you, if so, but pelase don't criticise those of us who
do.

I didn't know I had :-)

You said of food waste, and I quote:

It wastes money as well as nutrients. It's also a waste of effort for
the
growers, sellers and preparers - even if you prepared it yourself. I
think
that's an insult to those people. If it's animal food it's a waste of a
part
of that animal's life.

You don't think that's criticism?

No, it's my opinion.

I didn't say that anyone was wrong for wasting food - although I wouldn't do
it partly because I think it IS wrong.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
In article , Amethyst Deceiver
says...
I know a number of people who've fallen foul of reheated rice.

Is there a specific problem with rice? When I do a curry or whatever I
normally do enough rice so there is enough to stir fry the next day or
day after.

Apparently keeping it warm is the problem. It often used to be cooked in
bulk in restaurants and kept, because of the bulk it would stay warm. I
don't know how it's done these days, I'm talking about the time I worked in
a restaurant kitchen. It put me off eating in restaurants ...

I always do slightly more rice than we need so that the hens can have a
treat but normally I only cook enough of anything for the numbers to feed.

Mary

Old 10-10-2007, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Uncle Marvo writes
, I, Marvo, say :

Not really, though Merkins think that there is. The cause is Bacillus
cereus, which is ubiquitous in the soil and has durable spores. Any
food that is stored at room temperature for days or in kept warm for
hours can cause trouble. The reason that rice is demonised is because
it is the most common food handled like that in the catering trade
(especially the lower end of it).

It is similar to the bloke whose arm got broken by a swan. Everybody's heard
of it, nobody actually knows the victim.

I know a bloke who rowed a mile in record time, encouraged by a swan.

I reheat rice which has been hanging around for a day out of the fridge.

Most things seem OK for a day

I microwave it. Never died yet, but I suppose there's a first time for
everything.

I turn it from boiled rice to egg fried rice. I used to happily keep it
for several days (I'll normally keep meat for up to 4 days and veg up to
a week, but I am emphatically NOT advising anyone to follow my example)
but now I try to use it within two days to be on the safe side. Next day
if it's the remains of a takeaway rather than rice I've cooked myself.

--
Kay
Old 11-10-2007, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Anne Jackson
writes
I can't remember how long I've had my wormery for...certainly not less
than ten years, and I've never had any problems with it. Every spring
there's a binful of lovely compost for the planters, there's always
lots of liquid fertiliser inthe base, and the worms don't try overly
hard to escape. I take no particular trouble with it, just throw in
all the peelings from the vegetables, and the tea leaves, and a handful
of chelated seaweed occasionally - when I remember. If it seems a bit
soggy, i'll throw in some cardboard, or shredded paper. Of course
there's the added bonus of lots of worms for the birds, and the garden!

Our experience is much the same. But one thing puzzles me, and I've
wondered whether others have experienced it: while the vast majority of
worms are fine, I often find what looks like half-worms (still alive):
very short, fat bits of worm. I can only come up with two theories: worm
wars? Or are the holes between layers just a bit too small, so only half
of the worm makes it up or down? It doesn't seem possible, they are very
elastic, but maybe if they are full of food?

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 11-10-2007, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Uncle Marvo writes
, I, Marvo, say :

Not really, though Merkins think that there is. The cause is
Bacillus cereus, which is ubiquitous in the soil and has durable
spores. Any food that is stored at room temperature for days or in
kept warm for hours can cause trouble. The reason that rice is
demonised is because it is the most common food handled like that
in the catering trade (especially the lower end of it).

It is similar to the bloke whose arm got broken by a swan.
Everybody's heard of it, nobody actually knows the victim.

I know a bloke who rowed a mile in record time, encouraged by a swan.

I was chased by a swan in my dinghy a couple of months ago. Eventually I
tried to bat it over the head with an oar. It just isn't possible. they move
like Neo in the Matrix :-)

They don't want to hurt you, they are protecting their nest which is
probably not even in sight, but they're very protective when they've got
cygnets.

I reheat rice which has been hanging around for a day out of the
fridge.

Most things seem OK for a day

Agreed.

I microwave it. Never died yet, but I suppose there's a first time
for everything.

I turn it from boiled rice to egg fried rice. I used to happily keep
it for several days (I'll normally keep meat for up to 4 days and veg
up to a week, but I am emphatically NOT advising anyone to follow my
example) but now I try to use it within two days to be on the safe
side. Next day if it's the remains of a takeaway rather than rice
I've cooked myself.

You are a most wise K.

I follow that advice. If you cook meat then the four days starts again, too.

Chicken and ham pie tonight, or tart, or quiche ...

Old 11-10-2007, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo wrote:
, I, Marvo, say :

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:
In article , Amethyst Deceiver
says...
I know a number of people who've fallen foul of reheated rice.

Is there a specific problem with rice? When I do a curry or
whatever I normally do enough rice so there is enough to stir fry
the next day or day after.

Not really, though Merkins think that there is. The cause is
Bacillus cereus, which is ubiquitous in the soil and has durable
spores. Any food that is stored at room temperature for days or in
kept warm for hours can cause trouble. The reason that rice is
demonised is because it is the most common food handled like that in
the catering trade (especially the lower end of it).

Not just Americans. It's not unknown for takeaways and restaurants to keep a
pot of rice on the go, and that's when problems start to arise.

It is similar to the bloke whose arm got broken by a swan.
Everybody's heard of it, nobody actually knows the victim.

As I said, I /know/ people who've been affected. If you cool it quickly and
reheat it thoroughly there is no problem. If it's been sitting around warm
for a while and you give it a quick reheat, it can be a problem.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Uncle Marvo wrote:
, I, Marvo, say :

In article ,
David in Normandy writes:
[...]

Well, when I finally get my arm broken by a swan, I'll cool it quickly and
reheat it thoroughly, then.

:-)

Old 11-10-2007, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

Well, when I finally get my arm broken by a swan, I'll cool it quickly and
reheat it thoroughly, then.

Then put it in the wormery

:-)

Mary

Old 11-10-2007, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 11, 11:27 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

Well, when I finally get my arm broken by a swan, I'll cool it quickly and
reheat it thoroughly, then.

Then put it in the wormery

:-)

Wouldn't that be a bit wasteful? ;-)

Cat(h)

Old 11-10-2007, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 11, 11:27 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

Well, when I finally get my arm broken by a swan, I'll cool it quickly
and
reheat it thoroughly, then.

Then put it in the wormery

:-)

Wouldn't that be a bit wasteful? ;-)

Not if the worms convert it :-)

Mary

Cat(h)

Wormeries v Compost Rupert United Kingdom 5 11-10-2006 01:13 PM
wormeries june sweeney Permaculture 3 03-05-2006 03:57 PM
Liquid Feed And Wormeries Steve Burrows United Kingdom 8 06-04-2005 03:54 PM
wormeries in Winter (plus keeping cool in Summer) Amber Ormerod United Kingdom 10 01-02-2005 12:04 PM
is it worth having a garden designer? jayjay United Kingdom 8 09-09-2003 12:29 AM