Old 25-10-2007, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT-ish Catalogue survey!

Apart from Latin name and colour (if no photo) what sort of info do people
think most important in a plant catalogue. I know it needs to be
informative but not too wordy, IMO!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-10-2007, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 25, 1:31 pm, Sacha wrote:
Apart from Latin name and colour (if no photo) what sort of info do people
think most important in a plant catalogue. I know it needs to be
informative but not too wordy, IMO!

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

Hi Sacha, I think it really depends on the type of gardener looking
for info, in my case I would want something simple and at my level of
knowledge. In say your own case, you would want something much more
informative and in depth, perhaps?

Judith

Old 25-10-2007, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 25, 1:38 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 25/10/07 13:32, in article
om, "judith.lea"

wrote:
On Oct 25, 1:31 pm, Sacha wrote:
Apart from Latin name and colour (if no photo) what sort of info do people
think most important in a plant catalogue. I know it needs to be
informative but not too wordy, IMO!

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

Hi Sacha, I think it really depends on the type of gardener looking
for info, in my case I would want something simple and at my level of
knowledge. In say your own case, you would want something much more
informative and in depth, perhaps?

Judith

It's our own catalogue I'm thinking of, Judith. We want to keep it simple
to start with but as the plants we're going to sell via mail order will only
be the more rare and unusual ones, it would be interesting to have an
overall idea of what people look for in terms of information.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'- Hide quoted text -

Aah, at last you are going to do mail order, I would love to seethe
catalogue when it is ready. I find when looking at catalogues that
the picture is usually too small and it doesn't give me a real idea of
what the plant is like. i.e. a pic may just show one small flower up
close and not enough detail of the entire plant - just a thought.
Good luck with the mail order.

Judith

Old 25-10-2007, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 13:38:28 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

It's our own catalogue I'm thinking of, Judith. We want to keep it simple
to start with but as the plants we're going to sell via mail order will only
be the more rare and unusual ones, it would be interesting to have an
overall idea of what people look for in terms of information.

Name, where it will grow well, height, spread, any particular care
pattern (eg: pruning, feeding, watering etc)
If you're going to add in history of plant, where it comes from, any
folk lore uses, tnen you'd be making it more interesting. Photos are
nice of course.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free

Old 25-10-2007, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Apart from Latin name and colour (if no photo) what sort of info do people
think most important in a plant catalogue. I know it needs to be
informative but not too wordy, IMO!

Whether it is hardy or not. I am so sick of getting catalogues which either
don't mention hardiness or just randomly mention it. I don't buy plants
that aren't hardy, so it is an essential for me.

--
Rhiannon_s
There is no God but Eris, and Jay and Silent Bob are her Prophets.

Old 25-10-2007, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/10/07 13:50, in article
, "judith.lea"
wrote:

On Oct 25, 1:38 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 25/10/07 13:32, in article
om, "judith.lea"

wrote:
On Oct 25, 1:31 pm, Sacha wrote:
[...]

Yes, we're going to bite the bullet! And when we finally get it all
together, I'll certainly send you one. But don't forget you now have Guy
Sissons living in France, near Bordeaux. Some of his stuff might be too
tender for your winters in terms of permanent planting but Cestrum nocturnum
in pots would be scrumptious! His web site is more than worth a look:
http://www.plantsman.com/

Old 25-10-2007, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
Apart from Latin name and colour (if no photo) what sort of info do people
think most important in a plant catalogue. I know it needs to be
informative but not too wordy, IMO!

I would have said, what it does and when it does it, is it big medium or
little and is it hardy or not.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 25-10-2007, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 25 Oct, 18:06, Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from Sacha contains these
words:

Apart from Latin name and colour (if no photo) what sort of info do people
think most important in a plant catalogue. I know it needs to be
informative but not too wordy, IMO!

Height and spread, and whether or not it's hardy would do for me.

--
AnneJ

You may search my time-worn face,
You'll find a merry eye that twinkles.
I am NOT an old lady
Just a little girl with wrinkles!
- Edythe E. Bregnard

I'd be inclined to publish a descriptive plant list with a much more
descriptive catalogue with pics etc on your web site, the lists you
can then print yourself as required rather than have a bill for
several hundred pounds from the printer.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 25-10-2007, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/10/07 17:37, in article
, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On 25/10/07 13:53, in article
,

wrote:

It's our own catalogue I'm thinking of, Judith. We want to keep it simple
to start with but as the plants we're going to sell via mail order will
only
be the more rare and unusual ones, it would be interesting to have an
overall idea of what people look for in terms of information.

Name, where it will grow well, height, spread, any particular care
pattern (eg: pruning, feeding, watering etc)

Yes. All good ideas.

If you're going to add in history of plant, where it comes from, any
folk lore uses, tnen you'd be making it more interesting. Photos are
nice of course.

Hmmmm, it would be interesting but it might make it a bit long and literally
heavy! We're hoping to have a 'page' on the web site with all or most of
these on it but I think we've got to think of posting it out, too.

why? we gave up the printed catalogue 6 years ago! most people who don't
like computers know someone to do it for them.

Oh good! We do sometimes get asked for plant lists though. Do you send
those out? We don't as up until now we haven't done mail order.

Old 25-10-2007, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 16:41:41 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

wrote:

It's our own catalogue I'm thinking of, Judith. We want to keep it simple
to start with but as the plants we're going to sell via mail order will only
be the more rare and unusual ones, it would be interesting to have an
overall idea of what people look for in terms of information.

Name, where it will grow well, height, spread, any particular care
pattern (eg: pruning, feeding, watering etc)

Yes. All good ideas.

If you're going to add in history of plant, where it comes from, any
folk lore uses, tnen you'd be making it more interesting. Photos are
nice of course.

Hmmmm, it would be interesting but it might make it a bit long and literally
heavy! We're hoping to have a 'page' on the web site with all or most of
these on it but I think we've got to think of posting it out, too.

If the interesting stuff is on the website it probably isn't needed on
the catalogue too. But if you're doing the sort of keep catalogue with
a separate pricelist so people can keep it for years as a reference
then the info might assist.
Is it chiltern seeds who do the tall but narrow listing with no
pictures? I always thought that was a nice listing.

[IBC] Catalogue name arzoo623 Bonsai 4 16-11-2003 02:02 AM
Heritage Vegetable Seed Catalogue (ADVERT) Ray Warner United Kingdom 9 27-10-2003 09:12 PM
the Colchester Nursery Rose Catalogue is out. Kent Paul Dolan Roses 0 22-04-2003 03:20 AM
Dutch Gardens Catalogue? Cindy Gardening 6 13-03-2003 04:20 AM
Catalogue 2003 online ! Kenneth Bruyninckx Orchids 4 21-02-2003 03:15 PM