Old 28-10-2007, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Evergreen Climbers

In article .com,
says...
On Oct 27, 5:35 pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article . com,
says...

On Oct 27, 3:44 pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,
says... Hello, All. I'm looking for recommendations for evergreen climbers to cover
the side wall of a brick garage. The plants are to go into 2 wooden
planters which are each about 2 feet wide by 4 feet long and about 2 feet in
depth, so the plants shouldn't be too invasive or vigorous. Ivy is an
obvious choice, but it might be too invasive? Is there anything else that
would do the job better?

Many thanks in advance.

Which way is it facing and where are you? it makes a big difference.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Charlie, can I tag on here, I want a clematis, hardy, evergreen, south
east facing, the Auvergne, France, snow in December and Jan Feb and
March pretty vicious. Is there anything I could plant in these
conditions?

Judith

I don't think so, the two toughest are Cirrhosa and armandii, on a wall I
am not sure what you would get away with but from previous threads your
place sounds rather cold in winter!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea- Hide quoted text -

It is Charlie, any suggestions at all for something, anything
evergreeen, that may survive?

Judith

For reliability I would consider wall training a hardy everygreen shrub,
I am just not familar with the climate in that part of france, but even
ivy can look awful in exposed cold places! If you could give some idea of
the sorts of plants that appear to be doing well around you that may
help.
Old 28-10-2007, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 17:38:22 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 15:27:19 -0000, "judith.lea"
wrote:

On Oct 27, 3:59 pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:56:53 -0000, "judith.lea"
wrote:

On Oct 27, 3:44 pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,

Charlie, can I tag on here, I want a clematis, hardy, evergreen, south
east facing, the Auvergne, France, snow in December and Jan Feb and
March pretty vicious. Is there anything I could plant in these
conditions?

RHShttp://www.rhs.org.uk/WhatsOn/gardens/hydehall/archive/hydehallpom05j...

You Darling, thank you. Now I have to see if I can find it in France
otherwise Charlie will be sending me one next Spring.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

I'm waiting for somebody to tell me just how hardy it is.

I couldn't get the page to open, what is it about?

Googlegroups has mangled the URL.
It was about Clematis cirrhosa var. purpurascens 'Freckles'

http://tinyurl.com/2fsolf
or
http://www.rhs.org.uk/WhatsOn/garden...llpom05jan.asp

In case you still can't access it is here is the text

Gardens

RHS Garden Hyde Hall
Harlow Carr | Hyde Hall | Rosemoor | Wisley |

Thanks for that (my news reader seems to have snipped it from the reply
but its there in your post)
Old 28-10-2007, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com,
says...

wrote:
[...]

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Martin, hopefully it is hardy, if anyone knows Charlie will.

All I can say is its all right at -9c but did not flower well for nearly
a year after, as a plant I find it very untidy and it flowers all summer
as well as November to april, but unles you get under the flowers they
are a bit shabby, best grown on an arch in my opinion so you are able to
look up into the flowers. but of course in a cold place you have no
choice but to put it onto a wall!
Old 28-10-2007, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...

wrote:

On Oct 27, 3:44 pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,

Charlie, can I tag on here, I want a clematis, hardy, evergreen, south
east facing, the Auvergne, France, snow in December and Jan Feb and
March pretty vicious. Is there anything I could plant in these
conditions?

RHShttp://www.rhs.org.uk/WhatsOn/gardens/hydehall/archive/hydehallpom05j...

You Darling, thank you. Now I have to see if I can find it in France
otherwise Charlie will be sending me one next Spring.

Flattery will get you nowhere.

I'm waiting for somebody to tell me just how hardy it is.

I couldn't get the page to open, what is it about?

Googlegroups has mangled the URL.
It was about Clematis cirrhosa var. purpurascens 'Freckles'

http://tinyurl.com/2fsolf
or
http://www.rhs.org.uk/WhatsOn/garden...llpom05jan.asp

In case you still can't access it is here is the text

Not likely to die but may have the occassional bad year, but as when its
happy you have hack barrow loads of it off, it probably doesn't make a
lot of diffence!
Old 28-10-2007, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 28, 8:17 am, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article . com,
says...

wrote:
[...]

I might give it a miss Charlie and take a look round the area in
January to see what, if anything, is surviving.

Judith

Old 28-10-2007, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

I will have a look round when the weather really deteriorates so that
I can see what is looking o.k. Thanks for the advice Charlie.

Judith

Old 28-10-2007, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 28, 11:18 am, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:08:58 -0000, "judith.lea"
wrote:

I might give it a miss Charlie and take a look round the area in
January to see what, if anything, is surviving.

Under the snow? :-)
--

Martin

As we are talking about climbers, I do hope the snow won't be that
deep :-)

Judith

Old 28-10-2007, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin
writes

I'm waiting for somebody to tell me just how hardy it is.

I didn't find it liked being in a pot, even a large one, it does a lot
better in the ground.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 28-10-2007, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
"judith.lea" writes:
| On Oct 27, 10:09 pm, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
| In article ,"Je ff Layman" writes:

| |
| | Good list. To those stated I would add Akebia quinata or trifoliata. They
| | would do pretty well (maybe too well!), and in most winters would be more or
| | less evergreen. If the winter was very severe they would lose their leaves
| | completely, but would probably be more likely to survive than those in the
| | list.
|
| Nah. Akebia quinata is hardy, but deciduous in all but very mild
| winters. It has more-or-less kept its leaves on the last two, but
| they have been freakishly mild. Before that, it lost its leaves
| every year. Cambridge may be colder than Bolton, but not by much.
|
| Come on Nick and Charlie, south of Clermont Ferrand at high altitude?

How high? As I said, last winter was freakishly mild, but we had one
night of -8 Celcius. 25 years ago, we fairly often got -15, and -10
was normal (often combined with days of below -3, for several nights).
The ground used to freeze 2" down most winters, at least once.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-10-2007, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Jeff Layman" writes:

Good list. To those stated I would add Akebia quinata or
trifoliata. They would do pretty well (maybe too well!), and in
most winters would be more or less evergreen. If the winter was
very severe they would lose their leaves completely, but would
probably be more likely to survive than those in the list.

Nah. Akebia quinata is hardy, but deciduous in all but very mild
winters. It has more-or-less kept its leaves on the last two, but
they have been freakishly mild. Before that, it lost its leaves
every year.

It would be worth trying A. quinata (perhaps less so trifoliata) as it is
cheap and very quick growing. If it was not evergreen enough, it would not
be a great loss to remove it and try something else. Stauntonia hexaphylla
could be an alternative to Holboellia latifolia, and perhaps Trachelospermum
jasminoides is also an option. The OP was talking about a south or west
facing position which was "fairly sheltered".

Cambridge may be colder than Bolton, but not by much.

Difficult to tell from Met Office info available on the web. I guess Bolton
is too far inland to have its climate influenced by the sea. Have really
only the last two winters been freakishly mild? Surely only a couple of the
last dozen or so winters have shown anything like the sort of frosts we
should have expected.

Maybe I should start another thread for this, but I have often wondered
why - other than ivy - there are just about no reliably hardy evergreen
plants. By hardy I would define plants which can survive, with no or minimal
damage, what our friends on the other side of the pond would claim as a Zone
6 climate (there are few enough which would be happy in Zone 7!).

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)

Old 28-10-2007, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Jeff Layman" writes:

[...]

Well there are several reasons a climber may choose to be evergreen,
firstly it never freezes and day length is alway long enough for growth.
such plants are usually tender.
Secondly its a plant that grows amongst deciduous plants and is hoping to
take advantage of the winter light when the leaves drop. Ivy is the
classic example. But although Ivy is sometimes hardy (Hedera helix is
actually quite variable in this respect with several clones being quite
tender) generally plants adapted to climbing tree trunks in forest are
protected from the worst of the cold and a great deal of the wind, this
makes all the Evergreen climbing hydrangeas dodgy in exposed positions.
Thirdly its not wet enough to grow in the summer months so the plant does
most of its growing and flowering in winter like the Clematis cirrhosa's
(plants like this should really be called winter green rather than
evergreen as they will quite often shed their leaves or go dormant in hot
summers.
Sadly there is no scenario where being evergreen in a cold exposed
location is an advantage (apart from to gardeners!)
Old 28-10-2007, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Jeff Layman" writes:

| Difficult to tell from Met Office info available on the web. I guess Bolton
| is too far inland to have its climate influenced by the sea. Have really
| only the last two winters been freakishly mild? Surely only a couple of the
| last dozen or so winters have shown anything like the sort of frosts we
| should have expected.

Oh, yes, but only the last two have had virtually NO frost, and fairly
consistely high average temperatures!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-10-2007, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/10/07 16:55, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
"Jeff Layman" writes:

| Difficult to tell from Met Office info available on the web. I guess Bolton
| is too far inland to have its climate influenced by the sea. Have really
| only the last two winters been freakishly mild? Surely only a couple of
the
| last dozen or so winters have shown anything like the sort of frosts we
| should have expected.

Oh, yes, but only the last two have had virtually NO frost, and fairly
consistely high average temperatures!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Does this mean some law of averages or other should be making us nervous??
Who was that was going to start a thread on berries on the trees. I saw a
holly tree the other day.......... ;-))
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-10-2007, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| | last dozen or so winters have shown anything like the sort of frosts we
| | should have expected.
|
| Oh, yes, but only the last two have had virtually NO frost, and fairly
| consistely high average temperatures!.
|
| Does this mean some law of averages or other should be making us nervous??
| Who was that was going to start a thread on berries on the trees. I saw a
| holly tree the other day.......... ;-))

Only if you have a strategy for winning at the lottery :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-10-2007, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Charlie Pridham writes

[...]

Though it's a strategy which works for a lot of conifers.

And holly - though that may be to help holly take advantage of leaf loss
of the trees surrounding it, in other words, not a cold, exposed
situation.
--
Kay