Old 25-11-2007, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Autumn

I have googled and not come up with the answer to the following,

Between which dates is "Autumn"?

The nearest I can get is 'September, October and November'. Is it as plain
as that?

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

Old 25-11-2007, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
I have googled and not come up with the answer to the following,

Between which dates is "Autumn"?

The nearest I can get is 'September, October and November'. Is it as plain
as that?

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

I would think Late September when the trees start their change to November.

the met office call November the remainder of Autumn.

Old 25-11-2007, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Fergus" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
I have googled and not come up with the answer to the following,

Between which dates is "Autumn"?

The nearest I can get is 'September, October and November'. Is it as
plain as that?

Mike

I would think Late September when the trees start their change to
November.

the met office call November the remainder of Autumn.

"Late September". :-( That bothers me. I am in the early stages of planning
an 'Autumn Ball' and would hate to find I had pitched it 'outside' Autumn
:-))

Mike

Old 25-11-2007, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 11:41:17 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"Late September". :-( That bothers me. I am in the early stages of
planning
an 'Autumn Ball' and would hate to find I had pitched it 'outside' Autumn
:-))

Mike

You can have any sort of ball at any time of year. We had a Christmas
garden party in August. It wasn't a white Christmas but it rained.

Steve

Agreed, but I already have a 'theme' and it needs to be in the Autumn.

A Christmas theme would be too near Christmas, even though one suggestion
has been a 'Christmas' event, but most people attending would be sick of the
thoughts of Christmas in November ...... "again"....... (There is Turkey and
Tinsel everywhere. An hotel I use on Bournemouth has 17 Turkey and Tinsel
'do's' before we hit the Christmas period proper)

Another problem I have is that I am fully booked for all of October and the
first week into November :-(( Thus my question. For example is the 1st week
of September Summer or Autumn, I would consider it Summer. What is the last
weekend in November? I would say Winter.

Thanks for your thoughts

Mike

Old 25-11-2007, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

At sea, Autumn in the northern hemisphere ran from the equinox (around
21st Sep) to the winter solstice (around 21st December
Clearly the strict definition does not fit with most peoples experience
as most would not regard mid December as Autumn! although lately mid
September has definately seemed like summer.
Outside I would aim for last week of September but if you are under cover
no one would dispute October being an Autumn month.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 25-11-2007, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...

[...]

Thanks Charlie. Looks like last weekend in September would be fine. Glad
about that because that is where I am aiming, or into November because of my
diary.

Mike

Old 25-11-2007, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

Between which dates is "Autumn"?

The nearest I can get is 'September, October and November'. Is it as plain
as that?

Mike

Do the 'quarter days' - Christmas Day, Lady Day, Midsummers Day and
Michealmas equate to the start of each season? Which would mean Autumn runs
from 29th September to 25 December and hence on to winter.

Jill

Old 25-11-2007, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Jill Bell writes

Hi, welcome back!

Do the 'quarter days' - Christmas Day, Lady Day, Midsummers Day and
Michealmas equate to the start of each season?

Hmm ... does Midsummer day equate to the start of summer? ;-)

Which would mean Autumn runs
from 29th September to 25 December and hence on to winter.

Close to the naval thing quoted by Charlie
--
Kay
Old 25-11-2007, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
Jill Bell writes

Hi, welcome back!

Do the 'quarter days' - Christmas Day, Lady Day, Midsummers Day and
Michealmas equate to the start of each season?

Hmm ... does Midsummer day equate to the start of summer? ;-)

No........... this year summer didn't start till Michealmas;-)

Old 26-11-2007, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
I have googled and not come up with the answer to the following,

Between which dates is "Autumn"?

The nearest I can get is 'September, October and November'. Is it as plain
as that?

Mike

I think the answer is that there are no real set dates, as you travel north
to south it obviously changes as southern hemisphere Autumn is in March.

Wikipedia does a fair job of explaining it, as far as the UK is concerned we
are basicalyy looking at end of september to end of November.

Old 26-11-2007, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Campa-Man" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
I have googled and not come up with the answer to the following,

Between which dates is "Autumn"?

The nearest I can get is 'September, October and November'. Is it as
plain as that?

Mike

I think the answer is that there are no real set dates, as you travel
north to south it obviously changes as southern hemisphere Autumn is in
March.

Wikipedia does a fair job of explaining it, as far as the UK is concerned
we are basicalyy looking at end of september to end of November.

Thank you and thank you everyone who have answered my question. Either here
or the emails I have received (Thank you to one kind gent who explained the
moon phases and the rotation of the earth and gave a very good guide as to
where Autumn is 'anywhere' in the World) One person did ask if this was an
urg event. No, but I could organise one. Anybody want an urg Autumn Ball or
anything else? urg Turkey and Tinsel? Accommodation available as all of my
events ensure anybody in the country, or abroad can attend. I have a regular
from Sweden a one Association Reunion I do

I am going for an Autumn Ball either the last weekend in September or the
second in November. Both fit the 'theme' :-))

(October is out as my diary is full)

Mike

Old 26-11-2007, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 25, 1:19 pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,
says...

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Lapageria rosea- Hide quoted text -

That would be my understanding too.
However, the Irish (among whom I live) tend to consider Autumn starts
with August (feast of Lunasa), and ends with October (Sabhain).
Winter starts with Nov and ends with Jan, and 1st Feb (St Brigid's
day) is the first day of Spring, while summer starts with May
(Bealtana).
No amount of reasoning differently will persuade my learned and deeply
celtic other half :-)

Cat(h)
Old 28-11-2007, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 26, 1:26 pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:
On Nov 25, 1:19 pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

That is indeed what I was taught in school.
It never occurred to me that it was controversial until quite
recently.
If you take midsummer to be June 21st or 20th or whenever it is, then
those months do work well purely in terms of day length. In terms of
temperature, there is a long time lag and August is clearly pretty
summer like, even in Ireland. In general, though, these subdivisions
are arbitrary and depend on where you live (latitude, altitude etc.).
In that case, any arbitrary subdivision of the year will create
controversy, no mater how it is done. For me, my personal mental
benchmark seasons a Spring: mid feb to mid may; Summer: mid may to
mid aug etc. I have been in Winter (in my head for a few weeks
already).

Des