Old 15-01-2008, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default a very pleasant morning

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Dave Hill" wrote ((snip))

It will be nice to get away to Egypt and Jordan just to get away from
the rain, but watch out for the headlines "Pyramids closed due to
first ever flooding"
The weather out there will be colder at night than we are having, but
it should be fry and MUD FREE, 2 weeks without my wellies, that will
feel strange.
Even as I write this there are spots of rain on the window,

When we visited the Pyramids on a cruise last year, we were rather surprised
that the weather and 'feelings' were that of a ""Pleasant English Summer
Day""". There was a slight warm breeze blowing and quite comfortable to
stroll around.

Beware the "Tat" touts who will try to pressurise you into buying their
rubbish. Don't make eye contact and be firm with the "NO".

Have a super time. A place you must visit. Be interested if the same
impression of the Pyramids strikes you as it did me. ??????

Mike

Old 15-01-2008, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kate Morgan wrote:

In spite of the dire weather forecast I have just spent 3 hours working in
the garden. It is not raining and is very mild with a teeny bit of sunshine.
Now I am inside eating my lunch - banana sandwiches - and feeling rather
pleased that I have managed to get so much done. I know that there is still
a great deal of flooding in the county and I should not be too smug.

It piddled down all day here in Derbyshire - I was hoping to do some
digging on the allotment, but it would have been more a case of stirring
:-)

The fields down by Swarkestone Causeway are flooded again already and
it'll be another couple of days before today's rainfall filters down
from the hills. Metcheck says there's plenty more on the way too.

--
Carol (near Derby)
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put
Old 15-01-2008, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 15 Jan, 18:35, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

[...]

--www.rneba.org.uk. The Royal Naval Electrical Branch Association.
'THE' Association to find your ex-Greenie mess mates.www.iowtours.comfor all ex-Service Reunions. More being added regularly

This will be my second visit to Cairo, last time was in 1966 and it
was Ramadan so I never saw the museums, but did see the pyrimids and
sphinx when they were still several miles out of Cairo, and were not
over comercilised.
The days are quite warm but the nights can be very cold, I know I
almost froze when I went to the Son et luminer at the sphinx, it was
worse as I was on my way back from 3 weeks in East africa, but forcast
now is down to around 2 - 4c at night, Jordan is down to freezing, and
to make us feel realy at home there is Rain forcast for Amman for
monday.
I do wonder what the reaction of airport security would be to my going
through in Wellies.
I don't use Imodium, I will be taking a bottle of Ilma Zahar-orange
blossom water I get from Malta instead, works a treat and costs a lot
less.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries
Old 15-01-2008, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 15, 4:44*pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:35:02 -0800 (PST), "judith.lea"

wrote:
On Jan 15, 4:23*pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:20:35 -0800 (PST), "judith.lea"

wrote:
On Jan 15, 4:16*pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:07:13 -0800 (PST), "judith.lea"

wrote:
I've just come back from a friend's and I was dodging fallen branches,
it seems even though you and I are in different parts of France, our
weather is the same.

It will soon be the same here.

Waarschuwing voor het wegverkeer

Opgesteld op dinsdag 15 januari 2008, om 15.15 uur.

WIND(STOTEN)

In het zuiden en zuidwesten moet het verkeer rekening houden met zware
windstoten van 80-100 km/uur. De komende uren krijgt ook de rest van het land
hiermee te maken.
Batten down the hatches Martin.

It's arrived,

CLUNK
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

You should hear it howling round here, I wonder if this time we will
get any damage? *I hope all goes well with you Martin.

I've lost count of the number of severe storms we have had since September..
Just about anything that could blow away has gone. Tiles are cemented down that
originally relied on their weight to hold them in place for 35 years.
We had a complaint from a woman that one of our trees overhung the pavement
causing her to hit her head on a branch each time she walked past. The branch is
2.50m above the pavement.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Maybe it saw her coming and swung down?

Judith
Old 15-01-2008, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 15, 10:30*pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 13:11:43 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill

wrote:
On 15 Jan, 18:35, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

[...]

I knew somebody who walked through Heathrow in salt caked yellow oilskins and
wellies, They didn't bat an eyelid they've seen it all before.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

Can you hear the wind? The electricity went off for a very short time
and now the t.v. is making squaky noises, I expect the satellite is
being bashed around. I'm off to bed, I like laying in bed, warm and
snug listening to the wailing of the wind and the rain lashing on the
windows.

Judith

Old 15-01-2008, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 15, 10:38*pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:14:48 -0800 (PST), "judith.lea"

wrote:
We had a complaint from a woman that one of our trees overhung the pavement
causing her to hit her head on a branch each time she walked past. The branch is
2.50m above the pavement.

Maybe it saw her coming and swung down?

Yeah right. Maybe it ducked. )

Maybe next time it will swing harder - really, really hard.
I told my wife that if she sees her again, ask her to stand in the place where
the woman's dog has just crapped and to jump up and show her how the tree hits
her.
--

Martin

I have a better idea, tie a rope around the branch and when said dog
arrives, pull it back so it is under tension and then let it go -
whoops was that a dog in the North Sea? :-)

Judith
Old 16-01-2008, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:07:13 -0800 (PST)
"judith.lea" wrote:

On Jan 15, 1:57*pm, David in Normandy wrote:
judith.lea says...

On Jan 15, 1:14*pm, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
In spite of the dire weather forecast I have just spent 3 hours working in
the garden. It is not raining and is very mild with a teeny bit of sunshine.
Now I am inside eating my lunch *- *banana sandwiches *- *and feeling rather
pleased that I have managed to get so much done. I know that there is still
a great deal of flooding in the county and I should not be too smug.

kate
Gloucestershire

Here, in France, there is a gale blowing, I mean a real gale, I don't
mind being in the garden even when it's raining but it is dangerous
with tiles coming off roofs.

Judith

Terrible here in Normandy. It just isn't safe to be outside
- everything is blowing past the window - plastic plant
pots, garden chairs, trees, sheep, cows, tractors :-)
I fear for our roof in this weather. At least we should be
too hight up to be flooded, though the road below could
become unpassable.
--
David in Normandy- Hide quoted text -

I've just come back from a friend's and I was dodging fallen branches,
it seems even though you and I are in different parts of France, our
weather is the same.

We've got a 9 month old puppy to exercise, had him on a shortish walk
through the woods today, a large oak had come down across the path,
was held up by trees on the other side. We ran underneath, things were
really swinging around. Then found out later a lorry driver was killed quite
near here as an oak came down on his cab.

A hard day on the ridge in Normandy. I'm glad I got the shutters closed last
night.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 16-01-2008, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"judith.lea" wrote:
[...]

Questions about wine? *Visithttp://winefaq.hostexcellence.com- Hide quoted text -

Hi Emery, long time no hear! Two people were killed near our home
yesterday whilst out hunting, trees came down on them. It's still
blowing but it has lessened.

Judith
Old 16-01-2008, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 15, 10:52*pm, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:35:03 -0800 (PST), "judith.lea"

wrote:
Can you hear the wind?

Yes and the rain hammering against the windows.

*The electricity went off for a very short time

Oh dear nowadays half the Europe is plunged unto darkness every time there is a
what starts as a local problem.

and now the t.v. is making squaky noises, I expect the satellite is
being bashed around. *I'm off to bed, I like laying in bed, warm and
snug listening to the wailing of the wind and the rain lashing on the
windows.

and the cat purring.
--

Martin

Cat? I don't like cats!

Judith
Old 16-01-2008, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/1/08 11:34, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 03:15:56 -0800 (PST), "judith.lea"
wrote:

Hi Emery, long time no hear! Two people were killed near our home
yesterday whilst out hunting, trees came down on them. It's still
blowing but it has lessened.

The storm here finished during the night

We started the day with hurling rain but now have mainly blue sky with the
odd menacing cloud on the horizon. Everything could still change.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-01-2008, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"judith.lea" wrote:
[...]

[]
Hi Emery, long time no hear! Two people were killed near our home
yesterday whilst out hunting, trees came down on them. It's still
blowing but it has lessened.

Hi Judith,

Hope you are both staying warm in the hills!

You'd have to be crazy to hunt in a storm like we had yesterday. But
I guess they paid the price...

Wind is finished (relatively speaking) here for now, nothing more forecast
until tomorrow afternoon. Well, except rain of course! Tis the season,
and getting rather bored with it.

cheers,

-E

Old 16-01-2008, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 16, 11:51*am, Sacha wrote:
On 16/1/08 11:34, in article ,

wrote:

Hi Emery, long time no hear! *Two people were killed near our home
yesterday whilst out hunting, trees came down on them. *It's still
blowing but it has lessened.

The storm here finished during the night

We started the day with hurling rain but now have mainly blue sky with the
odd menacing cloud on the horizon. *Everything could still change.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

It's raining here but I have jobs to do outside, now to keep on topic,
is this a good time to prune an Acacia, the common or garden one that
grows everywhere, wild, here in the Auvergne?

Judith
Old 16-01-2008, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 16, 11:35*am, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 03:16:39 -0800 (PST), "judith.lea"

wrote:
and the cat purring.
--

Martin

Cat? *I don't like cats!

That doesn't prevent my cat purring.
--

Martin

Martin, you don't mean he/she sleeps on your bed, do you? My
daughter's cat does and when I go there, I will check to ensure it
hasn't been in mine, aaaaaaaaaaatishooo!!!

Judith
Old 16-01-2008, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"judith.lea" wrote:
[...]

It is lovely and warm in the sitting room the log burner is on 24
hours a day. When we went to get some shopping, we saw that there
were many hunts going on in the forests here, despite the weather, the
hunters still go out. I must watch the news tonight to see if there
are any pics showing my little village when they report on the deaths.

Judith

MUFFLER,very,very,very LOUD [email protected] Lawns 7 21-09-2006 06:13 PM
pleasant surprise J Fortuna Orchids 2 21-05-2005 02:25 PM
A pleasant surprise Carl Koop Ponds 6 05-06-2003 12:21 AM
Acuba Picturata a pleasant surprise! Little Badger United Kingdom 0 25-03-2003 08:20 PM