Old 18-01-2008, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How do I get my wisteria to flower?

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:

| They grow on the edges of swamps/wetlands in the wild so whether our wet
| winter will cause it I have no idea, but some sort of phytophora root
| rotting fungus does sound likely, possibly even honey fungus. ....

Yes. Our winters are particularly problematical, but I have never heard
of wisteria being unduly sensitive to wet.

There are a zillion forms of root rot, many of which haven't been
classified with any reliability! It might well be a Phytophthora or
Armillaria, but those are only two of dozens of likely possibilities.
I never identified the one in my front garden, despite it killing
virtually every woody plant grown there - and it WASN'T Armillaria,
and it WAS a fungus with (white) mycelium.

I shall have to see if my latest buddleia survives - it's not a
major problem if it doesn't, as it was one of several cuttings of a
common variety. Curiously, Chaenomeles speciosa and x superba have
always been resistant to whatever that fungus is.

Returning to the thread, the OP may equally well never discover the
cause. Mysterious root rots happen ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-01-2008, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Jan, 21:02, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
Returning to the thread, the OP may equally well never discover the
cause. *Mysterious root rots happen ....

But ... but we're not talking about root rot. We're talking about a
healthy plant which doesn't flower.
Old 18-01-2008, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/1/08 22:40, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

snip

My guess about a non-flowering one is a seedling plant, sold as a
named variety.

Wisterias sometimes don't do well because sometimes they don't do well.
That's it for most plants. Just like children, some thrive, some don't;
some need benign neglect and others need a bit of coddling. The best advice
for choosing wisterias is to buy one in flower.
The one we took out from our south facing - certainly not over-dry or wet
border, made masses of leaf and growth and flowered very poorly. I
delivered the thumbs down last summer and mercifully, everyone else agreed
with me, so out it came. We reckon it had been there for about 60 years.
By contrast, we have a couple growing up through trees and we can't get to
them to prune them. They flower like mad things at the top. We have one
we're growing as a standard on the lawn and another in the car park border
and both flower very well. If a Wisteria isn't doing much good within
around 10 years, I'd chuck it. From everything I've learned about them,
both here and elsewhere, they can be very variable, pruning or not.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-01-2008, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote ...

'Her out doors' liked the article to such a degree that she is now
inspired to grow Wisteria. We had been thinking about it for yours, I
think it may be a fact now :-))

If you do, and I love them, remember they are a big plant and will grow a
big thick trunk like a largish tree.
So plant it slightly away from the house wall and then train it back to the
wall. Do not let the young stems rest on anything like a porch gutter etc
because as they thicken they will bend/break it and you will not be strong
enough to move them, train them well away from such things. Keep them well
away from phone wires and eaves too.
It will also need firmly held strong wires to tie it to but do not use plain
wire as ties as they will cut the thickening stems. I covered the wire ties
in small bore plastic tubing myself. (as used as air line in tropical fish
tanks)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-01-2008, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Jan, 22:40, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
Oh, sorry, not the OP - the PP (previous poster).
My guess about a non-flowering one is a seedling plant, sold as a
named variety.

) I thought for a moment you might have had some of that lovely wine
that I had too ...!

My wisteria has never been good. We've been promissing ourselves to
take it out but I've never had the heart. I like its twisting stems
around our porch. Something tells me that this year we might be in
luck. See, I do it again. The only thing that will convince me is if I
find something else to replace it. I had bought a Kolomicta to replace
it but now it is far too established on our south wall to move. Watch
this space!
Old 19-01-2008, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for that Bob. (Just noticed, 'yours' should have been 'years'. I wish
this keyboard could spell proper loike)

We would put it under the veranda which goes right across the back of the
house and it would be pruned back or it would take too much light.

We had been thinking of Bougainvillea (has the keyboard spelt that right)
but there is the weather element of that one.

Mike
South Facing Coast of Isle of Wight

Old 19-01-2008, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

[...]

Perhaps while we are all talking about them its worth pointing out there
are several species and hybrids, the one based on W. sinensis are huge
and unfortunately contain a lot of the named ones, while those based on
W. floribunda are more modest in size, but the named ones are often more
difficult to get hold of. There was a good artical in the garden a year
or two back which highlighted some of the lesser known species and
hybrids worth check your wish list against the plant finder to find out
which parent predominates before buying (few of us have space for more
than one!)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 19-01-2008, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Charlie, I will leave that to 'her out doors' :-)

Thinking on the wires for support, when I was doing Telephone work, there
was one particular overhead telephone cable which had steel straining wires
in it :-)) (Copper stretches and would break) Have to talk nicely to the
telephone engineers here ;-)

Mike

Old 19-01-2008, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:

| Perhaps while we are all talking about them its worth pointing out there
| are several species and hybrids, the one based on W. sinensis are huge
| and unfortunately contain a lot of the named ones, while those based on
| W. floribunda are more modest in size, but the named ones are often more
| difficult to get hold of. There was a good artical in the garden a year
| or two back which highlighted some of the lesser known species and
| hybrids worth check your wish list against the plant finder to find out
| which parent predominates before buying (few of us have space for more
| than one!)

It's worth noting that, unlike some very vigorous climbers, they can
be kept within a modest space (say 2x2 metres) by appropriate pruning.
I have heard that even smaller sizes are possible.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 19-01-2008, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
..
By contrast, we have a couple growing up through trees and we can't get to
them to prune them. They flower like mad things at the top.

As per the habit desribed in my post! You have made them feel loved and at
home!

pk

Old 20-01-2008, 06:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Smoke it

Old 20-01-2008, 02:50 PM
BrownFingers's Avatar
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old OakTree View Post
It's been growing on the wall of my garage (south-facing) for
about 10-12 years, and has never flowered, though it produces
plenty of leaves.

Any suggestions?

Cut the bugger down and put a BBQ in its place.

I'm on fire my self today....
__________________
I'm the New Gardening Daddy... You beta watch out cause I'm the new Kid on the Lawn..!!!!
I'm gonna hoe Yo Gravel.....
Old 05-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Registered User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK[_2_] View Post
"The Old OakTree" wrote in message
It's been growing on the wall of my garage (south-facing) for about 10-12
years, and has never flowered, though it produces plenty of leaves.

Any suggestions?

I first posted this here 10 years ago, some found it useful then:

Wisteria in its native habitat is a forest plant. Mainly it grows in forest
with a high canopy and little light down below. Its method of
growth/flowering is to climb to the top of the tree canopy and flower there
in the light. How does the plant know that it has reached the top? Simple it
reaches the top of the canopy and flops over. In flopping over the flow of
hormone from the apical bud (the one at the growing tip) is disrupted and
buds below change from growth buds to flower buds.(Look up apical dominance
in a horticultural text book for a more rigorous description)

In pruning a Wisteria we are trying to fool the plant into thinking it is in
its native habitat and has reached the top of the tree canopy. Tall order?
(;-) No! quite simple really! We disrupt the flow of hormone from the apical
bud by cutting it off!!! This simple action instructs the buds below to
switch from growth to flowering mode.

How and when to prune?

Council of perfection: Never let extension growth get beyond two buds! When
it
does cut it back! Yep! An impossible ideal.

Achievable compromise: In the main period of growth ??July/August?? first
remove all weak, tangly growth completely to leave a number of main stems
(how many depends on how old the vine is and how large an area you wish to
cover). Then remove all extension growth to six buds from the main stem.
This
action promotes the growth/flower switch. Then in the dormant period
??Jan/Feb?? cut back these six bud stubs plus any further extension growth
two buds from the main stem. Hey presto you have created a flowering spur.
Enjoy the show in the spring & restart the pruning process in the summer.

(Why 6 buds first? Dunno. Maybe to avoid die back?)

How old before it flowers? Difficult to say. How old when you bought? this
years graft stock or a larger nursery grown plant? And: If you want it to
grow tall to cover an area you cannot do the essential pruning hence each
years growth if extension growth only: No flowers till it reaches the end of
the area or you prune. If you prune for flower it takes for ever to cover
the area. But, and this is an essential but, make sure you buy a grafted
plant as these come from early flowering parent strains. A seedling plant
may
be a complete reversion to its forest form.....

I have followed this pruning regime on innumerable Wisteria plants some
newish some old and threatened with removal 'cos "it never flowers". I have
yet to find one which fails to respond. But, do I hear someone ask, have I
ever found one which flowered without the labour intensive pruning? Yes!!
But
in each case it was on a pergola and was grown as a "roofing" plant and if
you think about it, this situation mimics closely the plant's habitat, it
gets to the top of the pergola and flops over and flowers!! But if you want
to clothe the legs of the pergola in flower then the pruning regime must be
followed.

Sorry I seem to have waffled on for rather a long time but I hope it is
useful!

pk
I found your waffle just what I was looking for, and will continue to let my own plant grow untill it 'thinks' its reached the top of the canopy and flops over and flowers......that will be a good year!!

Am using mine to cover a fence, and think 2ish years and I'll get my display, and for now leaves or fench I know which I like best.

P.S. hope am doing this right.