Old 31-01-2008, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

Default 1940's Garden

'Mike' wrote:

I have been invited to present a 1940's Night and would love to know what
you grew in your garden in the 1940's. I would also welcome any recipe from
the 1940's

AND, jokes from the 1940's???????????

Mike

Wot abu honey suckles, lemon soles, fruit cakes, cheese plants, heinz beans,
mushey peas, tobacco leaves, dodgy grass, opium plants and such like?
Old 03-02-2008, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

"'Mike'" wrote in message
I have been invited to present a 1940's Night and would love to know what
you grew in your garden in the 1940's. I would also welcome any recipe from
the 1940's

Rabbits, for rabbit stew, and chickens both for eggs and the pot, not much
room for anything else in a west london garden, although I did forget the
mint!

Alan

Old 03-02-2008, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

In message , alan holmes
writes

"'Mike'" wrote in message
I have been invited to present a 1940's Night and would love to know what
you grew in your garden in the 1940's. I would also welcome any recipe from
the 1940's

Rabbits, for rabbit stew, and chickens both for eggs and the pot, not much
room for anything else in a west london garden, although I did forget the
mint!

Hello Alan. How lovely to see you back.
--
June Hughes
Old 03-02-2008, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

alan holmes wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote in message
I have been invited to present a 1940's Night and would love to know what
you grew in your garden in the 1940's. I would also welcome any recipe from
the 1940's

Rabbits, for rabbit stew, and chickens both for eggs and the pot, not much
room for anything else in a west london garden, although I did forget the
mint!

Alan

My first shocking experience in the UK. I bought a packet of minted peas,
thinking that Mint was the brand name.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 15:05:37 +0000, johannes

wrote:

alan holmes wrote:

Rabbits, for rabbit stew, and chickens both for eggs and the pot, not
much
room for anything else in a west london garden, although I did forget
the
mint!

Alan

My first shocking experience in the UK. I bought a packet of minted peas,
thinking that Mint was the brand name.

and that the Royal Mint makes After Eights?
--

Martin

We had some Dinner Mints the other day which were superb. Much better than
After Eights. Cannot remember the name I am afraid but they were very good.
Anyone know of other After Dinner Mints by name that I may recognise the
name?

Mike

After a lot of trouble www.nsrafa.org is now up and running for the National
Service RAF man

Old 03-02-2008, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"'Mike'" writes:

| We had some Dinner Mints the other day which were superb. Much better than
| After Eights. Cannot remember the name I am afraid but they were very good.
| Anyone know of other After Dinner Mints by name that I may recognise the
| name?

Bendick's.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

alan holmes wrote:

Rabbits, for rabbit stew, and chickens both for eggs and the pot, not
much
room for anything else in a west london garden, although I did forget
the
mint!

Alan

My first shocking experience in the UK. I bought a packet of minted peas,
thinking that Mint was the brand name.

and that the Royal Mint makes After Eights?
--

Martin

We had some Dinner Mints the other day which were superb. Much better than
After Eights. Cannot remember the name I am afraid but they were very good.
Anyone know of other After Dinner Mints by name that I may recognise the
name?

But did you ever have chocolate covered peas? So why then minted peas?
Old 03-02-2008, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

Following up to "alan holmes" wrote:

Alan

hello Alan!
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email
Old 03-02-2008, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

Default OT" Now After Dinner Mints"

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"'Mike'" writes:

| We had some Dinner Mints the other day which were superb. Much better
than
| After Eights. Cannot remember the name I am afraid but they were very
good.
| Anyone know of other After Dinner Mints by name that I may recognise
the
| name?

Bendick's.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Could well be. I have to visit the Wholesalers Cash & Carry tomorrow. I will
look :-)

Mike
(cross posted to uk.food+drink.misc 'cos someone might have the answer)

Old 03-02-2008, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

Mike....... wrote:
Following up to "alan holmes" wrote:

Alan

hello Alan!

Hello Alan I wondered where you had gone

Old 03-02-2008, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

But did you ever have chocolate covered peas? So why then minted peas?

Mint is something we grow really well, unlike many of the other herbs
which really like something warmer and better drained. So not surprising
that it would have crept across our cooking, eg mint sauce for lamb,
mint with new potatoes.
--
Kay

Old 04-02-2008, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

"Zhang Dawei" wrote in message
newsan.2008.02.04.00.09.58@moc-ehznaibis...
On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 13:57:24 +0000, in
, alan holmes wrote:

Rabbits, for rabbit stew, and chickens both for eggs and the pot, not
much room for anything else in a west london garden, although I did
forget the mint!

I could send you my mother's recipe for Nettle Beer which she and her
mother used to make in early summer during WWII. I've sampled it often
myself (making it on more than one occasion), and it really is a
refreshing drink.

Dawei
--
Zhang Dawei: Stoke-on-Trent, UK. Use the Reply-To field. The
email address given there is guaranteed to work for two weeks

slightly off subject, but my grandfather & mother used to brew their own
(fruit & vege) wine in the 1970s. They are both poms. Pa used to make some
vile stuff from accounts. Every big family event at Ma & Pas, he'd bring out
the home brew wine & force it on people. Comments I can remeber as a lad
ranged along the lines of "Pa, this is crap" or "Pa, this is disgusting".
His stock reply seemed to be "the bottle we had last week was very nice". Pa
has been gone for a few years now but me & dad still have a chuckle over the
stories.

rob

Old 04-02-2008, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

johannes writes

K wrote:

But did you ever have chocolate covered peas? So why then minted peas?

Mint is something we grow really well, unlike many of the other herbs
which really like something warmer and better drained. So not surprising
that it would have crept across our cooking, eg mint sauce for lamb,
mint with new potatoes.

Yuk!

I suspect there's things about your national cooking that we would find
equally unpalatable.
--
Kay
Old 04-02-2008, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin writes:
| On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 12:36:35 +0000, K wrote:
| johannes writes
| K wrote:
|
| But did you ever have chocolate covered peas? So why then minted peas?
|
| Mint is something we grow really well, unlike many of the other herbs
| which really like something warmer and better drained. So not surprising
| that it would have crept across our cooking, eg mint sauce for lamb,
| mint with new potatoes.
|
| Yuk!
|
| I suspect there's things about your national cooking that we would find
| equally unpalatable.
|
| and at least we try them.

The use of mint in such contexts isn't exactly an English invention;
it is heavily used in many of the "Middle Eastern" traditions. They
often use different mints (often ones adapted to hotter, drier areas),
but the flavours are similar.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.