Old 21-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Mike

Default Maximising Rhubarb Crop

Take it young and in the evening.

The sun works on Rhubarb in such a way that it is sweeter in the evening
than in the morning.

Pull it young and you can either blanche it before freezing OR if it is
very young, you can freeze it direct.

However, freezing does seem to turn sweet rhubarb rather tart :-{

EVERYBODY'S Rhubarb is cropping well now, that is why it is so cheap in
the shops, whereas a couple of months ago it was a luxury.

Mike
Who never knowingly lies, but you know that now don't you?
Forthcoming reunions. H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more
Old 21-04-2003, 05:58 PM
Kay Easton

Always leave two stems per crown.
And stop around end June as the oxalic acid levels build up during the
year.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 21-04-2003, 06:09 PM
Mike

In article , Andy Mabbett
writes

Andy, I am in Birmingham tomorrow for a meeting, may pop in to see you.

That will be nice won't it :-))

Your old pal Mike :-))

..
..
..
..

Old 21-04-2003, 08:21 PM
Jon

Take it young and in the evening.

The sun works on Rhubarb in such a way that it is sweeter in the evening
than in the morning.

Pull it young and you can either blanche it before freezing OR if it is
very young, you can freeze it direct.

However, freezing does seem to turn sweet rhubarb rather tart :-{

EVERYBODY'S Rhubarb is cropping well now, that is why it is so cheap in
the shops, whereas a couple of months ago it was a luxury.

Mike

I have quite a large patch of rhubarb, but know very little about it other
than I love to eat it. Someone told me last year to cover it to keep the
light out. I put an oil drum over some of it and it produced lovely long
thin stems as opposed to the unshaded shorter, thicker, more woody stems. I
have done the samr this year and there are stems ready now. It is obvious
that the unshaded ones are developing a strong leaf structure, which the
others are not. Am I doing the right thing?
Jonny

Old 21-04-2003, 08:21 PM
Charlie

I read that you shouldn't do this to the same plant two years running, and
that you should surround it with straw before you put the barrel on. We're
going to try this next year probably.

Charlie.

"Jon" wrote in message

[...]

---

Old 21-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Kay Easton
writes

Always leave two stems per crown.
And stop around end June as the oxalic acid levels build up during the
year.

Ours has started to bolt already - the seed pods are well advanced.
Is it too late to eat the stuff or if we remove all stems and eat only
the new stuff that grows, will we be safe?
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 21-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , Kay Easton
writes

Always leave two stems per crown.
And stop around end June as the oxalic acid levels build up during the
year.

Ours has started to bolt already

Blimey!! Ours only came through in the last couple of days!

- the seed pods are well advanced.
Is it too late to eat the stuff or if we remove all stems and eat only
the new stuff that grows, will we be safe?

You'll be fine. Don't you remove the flowering stems?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 21-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Mike

In article , Jon
writes

[...]

Jonny you will find rhubarb is a very tough resilient plant. No matter
what you do to it, you will do no harm to it :-)) (Even I can grow the
stuff!!)

Experiment with it. Cover some with straw. Cover some with a
bucket/barrel with the bottom cut out. Leave some and just enjoy it when
young (don't we all enjoy the young things;-))

But don't forget to pull it in the evening after a nice sunny day. It
makes all the difference :-))

Rhubarb and Blackberry Crumble hot or cold with Ice Cream :-))
Rhubarb and Apple Pie hot or cold with Ice Cream :-))

Rhubarb Juice drunk straight out of a Glass :-))

Funny taste/feeling on your teeth? Don't care, haven't got any :-))))

Mike

Old 22-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Kay Easton
writes
You'll be fine. Don't you remove the flowering stems?

Yes - but these leapt up behind our backs overnight in a couple of
seconds!!!!!!!!

Old 22-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , Kay Easton
writes
You'll be fine. Don't you remove the flowering stems?

Yes - but these leapt up behind our backs overnight in a couple of
seconds!!!!!!!!

I know what you mean - I start every year with the thought that *this*
will be the year when I keep the garden under control, and then about
this time of year it all escapes me once again!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 22-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Ophelia

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , Kay Easton
writes
You'll be fine. Don't you remove the flowering stems?

Yes - but these leapt up behind our backs overnight in a couple of
seconds!!!!!!!!

Oh no!!!!!!!!!! That is one sneaky rhubarb

Old 22-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Phil C.

Mike wrote:

Jonny you will find rhubarb is a very tough resilient plant. No matter
what you do to it, you will do no harm to it :-)) (Even I can grow the
stuff!!)

That's a sore point in my house. My wife wanted to move the rhubarb
plant and I told her not to worry because you can't kill it if you try.
But I obviously underestimated her ingenuity.
--
Phil C.
Old 22-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Martin W

What happens when you allow rhubarb to flower then? Does it reduce the crop
and does anyone know why it flowers sometimes. One of my crowns has sent up
a flower this year and it and I only split it from my Dads patch 2 years ago
so its not a well established plant. Will I get seeds from this one and has
anyone grown a crown from seed.

Martin

Old 22-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Martin W
writes
What happens when you allow rhubarb to flower then? Does it reduce the crop
and does anyone know why it flowers sometimes. One of my crowns has sent up
a flower this year and it and I only split it from my Dads patch 2 years ago
so its not a well established plant. Will I get seeds from this one and has
anyone grown a crown from seed.

It is easy to grow rhubarb from seed, though it takes about 3 years to
get crowns. If you want a particular variety, it is sometimes easier to
get hold of the seed than a crown.

Once you have a crown, dividing the crown is a quicker way of increasing
your stock.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: