Old 22-04-2003, 06:44 PM
swroot

Default Maximising Rhubarb Crop

Jane Ransom wrote:

In article , Kay Easton
writes
You'll be fine. Don't you remove the flowering stems?

Yes - but these leapt up behind our backs overnight in a couple of
seconds!!!!!!!!

They're hoping you notice how beautiful they are in flower :-)

regards
sarah

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley
Old 22-04-2003, 10:32 PM
swroot

Ophelia wrote:

"swroot" wrote in message
Jane Ransom wrote:

In article , Kay Easton
writes
You'll be fine. Don't you remove the flowering stems?

Yes - but these leapt up behind our backs overnight in a couple of
seconds!!!!!!!!

They're hoping you notice how beautiful they are in flower :-)

I have to admit I have never seen that. As soon as I see a flower bud I
pick it off

Try leaving one to see. I think the appropriate buzzword is
'architectural', and if you cut it down before it sets seed, then the
plant hasn't wasted too much energy.

regards
sarah

Old 23-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Jane Gillett

In article ,
Jon wrote:

I have quite a large patch of rhubarb, but know very little about it other
than I love to eat it. Someone told me last year to cover it to keep the
light out. I put an oil drum over some of it and it produced lovely long
thin stems as opposed to the unshaded shorter, thicker, more woody stems. I
have done the samr this year and there are stems ready now. It is obvious
that the unshaded ones are developing a strong leaf structure, which the
others are not. Am I doing the right thing?
Jonny

Have you got a riding stables anywhere near? This winter, get hold of large
plastic sacks, fill them with stable manure and put a sackful on top of
every rhubarb plant. Yes, a sackful to each plant. Will do it a world of
good. Speaking from experience.

Cheers
Jane

--

Jane Gillett : : Totnes, Devon.
Old 23-04-2003, 07:44 AM
Ophelia

"swroot" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:

"swroot" wrote in message
Jane Ransom wrote:

In article , Kay Easton
writes
You'll be fine. Don't you remove the flowering stems?

Yes - but these leapt up behind our backs overnight in a couple of
seconds!!!!!!!!

They're hoping you notice how beautiful they are in flower :-)

I have to admit I have never seen that. As soon as I see a flower bud I
pick it off

Try leaving one to see. I think the appropriate buzzword is
'architectural', and if you cut it down before it sets seed, then the
plant hasn't wasted too much energy.

I might just do that. I split the plant this spring and the stalks are
quite thin so I will not be pulling any this year

Old 23-04-2003, 02:22 PM
Colin Davidson

I would reccomend that if you want more rhubarb type stuff, you go for a bit
of a forage. Haven't got the picture scanned for my web site yet, but Steve
Brills rather neat web site has a picture of Japanese knotweed, that well
known destructive weed, and a description of what to do with this rather
gastronomic plant:
http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Pla.../Knotweed.html

If you've got any Japanese knotweed growing locally, you could consider it
your civic responsibility to eat it into oblivion :-) I came across a patch
in Essex the other day, and it was just at about the right age and size to
be really scrummy.

Old 23-04-2003, 08:48 PM
Jon

My fav is stewed and when cold mixed into natural yogurt. I also save
the water it is stewed in as juice, but you can feel your teeth
rotting :-)
Jonny

Jonny you will find rhubarb is a very tough resilient plant. No matter
what you do to it, you will do no harm to it :-)) (Even I can grow the
stuff!!)

Experiment with it. Cover some with straw. Cover some with a
bucket/barrel with the bottom cut out. Leave some and just enjoy it when
young (don't we all enjoy the young things;-))

But don't forget to pull it in the evening after a nice sunny day. It
makes all the difference :-))

Rhubarb and Blackberry Crumble hot or cold with Ice Cream :-))
Rhubarb and Apple Pie hot or cold with Ice Cream :-))

Rhubarb Juice drunk straight out of a Glass :-))

Funny taste/feeling on your teeth? Don't care, haven't got any :-))))

Mike
Forthcoming reunions. H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Old 23-04-2003, 08:48 PM
Jon

Jane, No stables handy, but I am a farmer and have several hundred
tonnes of cow manu-)) Are you still recommending this treatment??
Jonny
x-no-archive: yes,On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 08:41:36 +0100, Jane Gillett

Old 24-04-2003, 11:33 PM
Nick Maclaren

In message , Rhiannon Macfie Miller
writes
My husband doesn't like rhubarb and won't let me grow any.

Have you considered divorce?

Did you try force-feeding him on it? That is a common cause of
discord, up to and including divorce and probably even murder :-)

When my wife wanted some, I made the formal condition that I would
grow it provided that she never fed it to me. The plants died in
the series of dry summers a decade back, but the arrangement held
until then ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 25-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Ophelia

In message , Rhiannon Macfie Miller
writes
My husband doesn't like rhubarb and won't let me grow any.

Have you considered divorce?

Nono... waste of good compost