Old 14-02-2008, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Olive Bush

Pam Moore wrote:
I don't
think it was over-watered, just the dry air I think. It always
showed new buds quite quickly and has not suffered.

That probably is the correct answer. I'll have to put it out more often.
Old 21-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Registered User

Location: Wimborne, Dorset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxman View Post
I have a hardy olive bush in the conservatory. It appears to be losing
a lot of leaves recently. Is this normal at this time of the year?
I have had a Olive bush now for 7 years and it has grown to quite a size. It is kept all year round outside against a south facing wall. I water it about once a month all year round. I renew the soil with multi compost every spring and line the large pot it is in with polystyrene foam to protect the roots in the winter. If we do get a hard frost I then cover it with a fleece.

I have never had any problems with the leaves - it grows so well that I have to trim it back each year to stop it becoming unmanageable. However, we do live in Dorset and near the coast so we get the best of the weather - when it finally arrives!
Old 21-03-2008, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 11:34:09 +0000, Tricky2
wrote:

Saxman;774244 Wrote:
I have a hardy olive bush in the conservatory. It appears to be losing

a lot of leaves recently. Is this normal at this time of the year?

I have had a Olive bush now for 7 years and it has grown to quite a
size. It is kept all year round outside against a south facing wall. I
water it about once a month all year round. I renew the soil with multi
compost every spring and line the large pot it is in with polystyrene
foam to protect the roots in the winter. If we do get a hard frost I
then cover it with a fleece.

I have never had any problems with the leaves - it grows so well that I
have to trim it back each year to stop it becoming unmanageable.
However, we do live in Dorset and near the coast so we get the best of
the weather - when it finally arrives!

Mine has been outside, against a wall, for the last 4 winters and I
cover it with fleece in frosty weather.
When it was small I used to bring it in each winter. It usually lost
its leaves. It never does so outside.
I think it is the dry air indoors. You should find new buds showing
up the stems. Don't water it too much. They like dry soil, and
without leaves it needs even less.
Try spraying it with water, and start to get it aclimatised to
outdoors again once new growth starts.
It should be OK. The worst thing now would be overwatering.
If you leave it out next winter, try wrapping the outside of the pot
with bubble plastic to protect the roots, and the pot too if it is
ceramic.

Pam in Bristol
Old 21-03-2008, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Pam Moore writes:
| On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 11:34:09 +0000, Tricky2
| wrote:
|
| I have had a Olive bush now for 7 years and it has grown to quite a
| size. It is kept all year round outside against a south facing wall. I
| water it about once a month all year round. I renew the soil with multi
| compost every spring and line the large pot it is in with polystyrene
| foam to protect the roots in the winter. If we do get a hard frost I
| then cover it with a fleece.
|
| Mine has been outside, against a wall, for the last 4 winters and I
| cover it with fleece in frosty weather.

I have a Feijoa sellowiana in a large pot, and that has taken the
past few winters without trouble. My belief is that a lot of the
tenderness of many plants is a simple inability to take the
combination of frost and waterlogging.

Olives grow in places that get significant frosts by the standards
of southern England - however, they are all drier.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Registered User

Hi - I am a new poster here. I found this thread via google, because my small standard olive tree which I bought about five weeks ago is suddenly droppng leaves.
Thanks for all the advice posted here. :-)

[IBC] OLIVE kevin bailey Bonsai 2 15-02-2003 03:03 PM
OLIVE Iris Cohen Bonsai 1 14-02-2003 04:39 AM
[IBC] Olive, Olea europaea Iris Cohen Bonsai 4 10-02-2003 04:55 PM
[IBC] Olive, Olea europea back budding. Alicia Thompson Bonsai 9 09-02-2003 08:01 AM
olive question Nick Hogg United Kingdom 10 16-01-2003 09:41 PM