Old 30-03-2008, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Guess what this plant is?

"Cat(h)" writes
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 18:52:41 +0100, K wrote:

"Cat(h)" writes
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:16:27 +0100, K wrote:

"Cat(h)" writes
I'm just wondering whether anyone here can guess what this plant is by
just looking at its flower?
http://i27.tinypic.com/drfbkm.jpg

Sundew (Drosera)?

No.

In that case, it's Venus Fly trap

I'm all disappointed now... I thought this might run for a while :-(

Sorry! You shouldn't choose things I've grown ;-)

I looked at it quickly and thought it looked Malva moschata-like, but
the buds were completely wrong, so I mentally re-sized it downwards and
recognised it instantly as one of my carnivores. But I haven't got the
VFT any more and the sundews aren't up at the moment, and googling
didn't seem in the spirit of the question, so I chose the wrong one
first.

Anyway, what a pretty flower for such an ungainly plant!

Ooh, I wouldn't say it was ungainly. But I know what you mean - such
delicate petals compared with such robust leaves.
--
Kay
Old 31-03-2008, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 30, 7:18*pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 18:52:41 +0100, K wrote:
"Cat(h)" writes
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:16:27 +0100, K wrote:

"Cat(h)" writes
I'm just wondering whether anyone here can guess what this plant is by
just looking at its flower?
http://i27.tinypic.com/drfbkm.jpg

Sundew (Drosera)?

No.

In that case, it's Venus Fly trap

I'm all disappointed now... I thought this might run for a while :-(
Anyway, what a pretty flower for such an ungainly plant!
Our Fred-Phrod (from Aphrodite, or Venus)could use a few beasties, and
there are no insects flying around the house at the moment. *We may
need to go hunting on Fred's behalf.

Cat(h)

Bugger; and I thought it was familiar.
Oh well. Good quiz

Des
Old 31-03-2008, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 31, 10:30*am, Martin wrote:
So which camera was used to take the photo?

My first ever DSLR - Canon EOS 400D. I'm having the time of my life
playing with it since purchasing it last summer.

Cat(h)
Old 31-03-2008, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 30, 9:01*pm, Des Higgins wrote:

Cat(h)

ok now I am completely lost.
The flower buds and sepals are very familiar. *If it had 6 petals, I
would guess some kind of lily or onion but only having 5, usually
makes it a dictot. *All of the guesses I can make are buttercup
relatives (Rannunculs, Anemone, Clematis, water lily). *Ok, I give in.

No doubt by now you have seen it's a Venus flytrap. It's the family
pet, and lives on the bathroom window. We called it Fred (Phrod) as
in Aphrodyte - it was a long and convoluted discussion with the other
half, whose plant it really is, even though I am the one keeping it in
water, and occasionally hunting for it - flying insects are inexistent
in our house this time of year.
I was flabbergasted when Phrod threw out that big long shoot, and had
been waiting like an expectant mammy to see what the flower would look
like - and this wonderful delicate effort opened up yesterday morning.
I thought I might keep people in some suspense, but I was counting
without the razor sharp Ms K :-)

Cat(h)

Old 31-03-2008, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
On Mar 31, 10:30 am, Martin wrote:
So which camera was used to take the photo?

My first ever DSLR - Canon EOS 400D. I'm having the time of my life
playing with it since purchasing it last summer.

Cat(h)

:-))

Ditto me :-))

Just bought a Samsung GX10 with a couple of lens', an 18 - 55mm and a 50 -
200mm. I also have Roxio on the computer and an Epson DX 4000 printer. I
have an appointment with a company this afternoon to give them some advice
and to take them pictures for them :-))

Great fun :-)

Mike

Old 31-03-2008, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 30, 11:10*pm, K wrote:
[...]

That was most sporting of you :-)

Anyway, what a pretty flower for such an ungainly plant!

Ooh, I wouldn't say it was ungainly. But I know what you mean - such
delicate petals compared with such robust leaves.

Ungainly is probably unfair, alright. It's just that, never having
grown one of those, I had no idea what its flowers might possibly look
like, and when this lovely, delicate thing appeared, I was just
enchanted.

Thanks for playing ;-)

Cat(h)
Old 31-03-2008, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 31, 12:16 pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:
[...]

And she first suggested Sundew (Drosera) which is in the same family
and has similar flowers.

Des
Old 31-03-2008, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/3/08 13:47, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:
snip

Thanks for playing ;-)

Cat(h)

It was fun, Cat. Perhaps we could all take such pics from time to time and
play the quiz game. If you don't see the leaves or the rest of the plant it
can be quite hard to identify just from a flower taken at a particular
angle. But that flower is so pretty and unexpected, I agree. I had never
seen one before.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 31-03-2008, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 31, 2:39*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 31/3/08 13:47, in article
, wrote:

snip

Thanks for playing ;-)

Cat(h)

It was fun, Cat. * Perhaps we could all take such pics from time to time and
play the quiz game. *If you don't see the leaves or the rest of the plant it
can be quite hard to identify just from a flower taken at a particular
angle.

I think that's a cool idea.

*But that flower is so pretty and unexpected, I agree. *I had never
seen one before.

There are a couple more of the buds opening up today. It is very
lovely.

Cat(h)

Old 31-03-2008, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"Cat(h)" writes
On Mar 31, 2:05*pm, Des Higgins wrote:
On Mar 31, 12:16 pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:

I know! I was so confident that it would take quite some time and
trial and error for people to guess correctly. When I saw Drosera, I
though, oh, no! I decided I would not say anything more than "no",
coz I was obviously dealing with an old hand (figuratively speaking,
of course, K).
I am all discomfited. If such a thing exists.

I must admit I get pleasure from getting in first with a name. I don't
have a hope with proper 'garden' plants, but I am OK with species that
I've grown, and with weeds I'm in my element(1) ;-)

(1) or as I know them, wild flowers
--
Kay

best guess? Sue Solomon Roses 0 07-12-2003 09:55 PM
Wow, I guess I don't need a grow light Michael Shaffer Ponds 2 06-11-2003 03:02 AM
Breakfast Guess Barbara2245 Ponds 8 01-07-2003 09:25 PM
any clematis experts want to give a guess at this particlar cultivar? xcitor Gardening 1 13-05-2003 04:44 PM
OK...Indoors it is I guess-more questions... TS Orchids 5 13-03-2003 05:08 AM