Old 08-04-2008, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plants for shade

I have a flower bed at the front of the house, facing the
window, with nothing much in it. It has daffodils at the
moment but once they're over there's nothing more. It's on
the north side of the house so it doesn't get much sun at
all (and I'm in Scotland so the weather is often quite cool
in any event). The soil is quite heavy clay.

I'd like to plant something herbaceous and fairly
low-growing (say up to two feet) with bright colours, to
follow from the daffs (ideally, a plant or sequence of
plants for the whole summer). I'd prefer perennials or
bulbs, but could try annuals if I could grow them from seed.

Any suggestions?

Rhiannon

--
I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X.
You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

Old 09-04-2008, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 8 Apr, 14:52, Sacha wrote:
On 8/4/08 09:38, in article , "Rhiannon

Miller" wrote:
I have a flower bed at the front of the house, facing the
window, with nothing much in it. It has daffodils at the
moment but once they're over there's nothing more. It's on
the north side of the house so it doesn't get much sun at
all (and I'm in Scotland so the weather is often quite cool
in any event). The soil is quite heavy clay.

I'd like to plant something herbaceous and fairly
low-growing (say up to two feet) with bright colours, to
follow from the daffs (ideally, a plant or sequence of
plants for the whole summer). I'd prefer perennials or
bulbs, but could try annuals if I could grow them from seed.

Any suggestions?

Rhiannon

I strongly recommend Geranium 'Jolly Bee' and the other true Geraniums, too.
They don't mind shade and they flower over a long period. *G. Jolly Bee is a
long flowering plant and even better than G Johnson's Blue, IOO.

--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

All the following do well in my garden on heavy clay soil in an area
that gets little or no sun (I'm aware that some of these probably
flower better with more sun but they still do a good job in shade):

Astilbes (as long as the soil doesn't dry out)
Tricyrtis (lots of different varieties, some of them not more than 2
feet)
Digitalis x mertonensis
Anemone x hybrida
Bergenia (also good for winter colour)
Helleborus x hybridus and Helleborus foetidus (there are varieties
with lovely, pewetery foliage)
Various Primula (e.g. P. denticulata, candelabra hybrids)
Cyclamen hederifolium and C. coum (for autumn/winter flowers and
beautifully marked, silvery foliage)
Arum italicum ssp italicum (for foliage marbled with white, and late
summer spikes of orange berries)
Brunnera macrophylla Jack Frost
Old 09-04-2008, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/4/08 21:21, in article ,
"Fluffball" wrote:

'Sacha[_3_ Wrote:
;783255']On 8/4/08 09:38, in article
,
"Rhiannon
Miller"
wrote:
-
[...]

Hostas are always good for shade.

They do prefer to be a bit damp, though.

I'd also say Foxgloves too, but they may be a bit tall for you.

You can never have too many foxgloves, IMO.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
wrote:

I'd also say Foxgloves too, but they may be a bit tall
for you.

You can never have too many foxgloves, IMO.

I love foxgloves. I see there are some dwarf varieties in
existence, so I might try some of those. I do still want to
be able to see out of my sitting room window!

Rhiannon

Old 10-04-2008, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article

s.com Ornata wrote:
All the following do well in my garden on heavy clay soil
in an area that gets little or no sun (I'm aware that some
of these probably flower better with more sun but they
still do a good job in shade):
Astilbes (as long as the soil doesn't dry out)
Tricyrtis (lots of different varieties, some of them not
more than 2 feet)
Digitalis x mertonensis
Anemone x hybrida
Bergenia (also good for winter colour)
Helleborus x hybridus and Helleborus foetidus (there are
varieties with lovely, pewetery foliage)
Various Primula (e.g. P. denticulata, candelabra hybrids)
Cyclamen hederifolium and C. coum (for autumn/winter
flowers and beautifully marked, silvery foliage)
Arum italicum ssp italicum (for foliage marbled with
white, and late summer spikes of orange berries)
Brunnera macrophylla Jack Frost

Some great suggestions here, thanks! I'm particularly taken
by the toad lilies, especually given their late summer
flowering time.

Rhiannon

Old 10-04-2008, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/4/08 01:37, in article , "Anne
Jackson" wrote:

The message from Sacha contains these words:
On 8/4/08 09:38, in article
, "Rhiannon
Miller" wrote:

I have a flower bed at the front of the house, facing the
window, with nothing much in it. It has daffodils at the
moment but once they're over there's nothing more. It's on
the north side of the house so it doesn't get much sun at
all (and I'm in Scotland so the weather is often quite cool
in any event). The soil is quite heavy clay.

I'd like to plant something herbaceous and fairly
low-growing (say up to two feet) with bright colours, to
follow from the daffs (ideally, a plant or sequence of
plants for the whole summer). I'd prefer perennials or
bulbs, but could try annuals if I could grow them from seed.

Any suggestions?

I strongly recommend Geranium 'Jolly Bee' and the other true Geraniums,
too. They don't mind shade and they flower over a long period. G. Jolly
Bee is a long flowering plant and even better than G Johnson's Blue, IOO.

Rhiannon, I have some spare geraniums, not sure of the name, but
they are a bright pink. If you want to e-mail me, we could arrange
a time for you to pick them up? I am in Perth - up The Glens.

Just guess but possibly G 'Ann Folkard'?

Old 10-04-2008, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
AnneJackson wrote:
I strongly recommend Geranium 'Jolly Bee' and the other
true Geraniums,* too. They don't mind shade and they
flower over a long period. G. Jolly* Bee is a long
flowering plant and even better than G Johnson's Blue, IOO.

Rhiannon, I have some spare geraniums, not sure of the
name, but* they are a bright pink. If you want to e-mail
me, we could arrange a time for you to pick them up? I am
in Perth - up The Glens.

I already have loads of geraniums in my garden, so I won't
take you up on your kind offer, but many thanks all the
same. Are you planning to be at the Freecycle plantmeet in
Auchterarder on 26 April?

Rhiannon

Old 10-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Registered User

How about some coleus..colourful foliage plants. Easy to grow from seed, not too tall, and donīt like it too hot in summer.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
AnneJackson wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:
Are you planning to be at the Freecycle plantmeet in
Auchterarder on 26 April?

Yes. You going?*

I was planning to pot up some of the geraniums to take
with me.

I hope to be able to go (with a small baby, I find I can't
guarantee anything these days). I think I've oversown on
petunias, at least I will have if all or most of them
survive, so I'm planning on taking some of them along.

Rhiannon

Old 11-04-2008, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
jim jim is offline

What about bugle , mellisa What is freecylce

jim
soapmaker in kirkintilloch

Old 11-04-2008, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

AnneJackson wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:
* Are you planning to be at the Freecycle plantmeet in
Auchterarder on 26 April?

* Yes. You going?

* I was planning to pot up some of the geraniums to take
with me.

I hope to be able to go (with a small baby, I find I can't
guarantee anything these days). *I think I've oversown on
petunias, at least I will have if all or most of them
survive, so I'm planning on taking some of them along.

Rhiannon

--
I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X.
You can download it athttp://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo- Hide quoted text -

Freecycle
http://www.freecycle.org/

Worth looking at,