Old 14-05-2008, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fence Panels

Hi all

Desperation stakes here!
Looking for attractive fence panels to border the side of our back garden
onto a public street.
SWMBO won't accept the old "larch lap" or feather edge, mainly because this
is what everyone has.
Have looked at the "woven" european style which (although pretty) have gaps
that allow view-through from certain angles.
Close boarded fences, panels or hand made are rather industrial.
Ideally we are looking for a panel that will fit into slotted posts
(although this is not essential) which is pleasing to the eye from both
sides (subjective I know). It must not allow nosy sorts to see in and must
be fairly rhobust as it will be alongside a public footpath.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Phil

Old 14-05-2008, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Desperation stakes here!
Looking for attractive fence panels to border the side of our back garden
onto a public street.
SWMBO won't accept the old "larch lap" or feather edge, mainly because
this is what everyone has.
Have looked at the "woven" european style which (although pretty) have
gaps that allow view-through from certain angles.
Close boarded fences, panels or hand made are rather industrial.
Ideally we are looking for a panel that will fit into slotted posts
(although this is not essential) which is pleasing to the eye from both
sides (subjective I know). It must not allow nosy sorts to see in and
must be fairly rhobust as it will be alongside a public footpath.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Phil

Concrete Block and rendered with a Square mesh trellis on your side with
something growing on it.

Feather edge boarding for the outside with the above square mesh trellis
inside

Low winded, but grow a natural hedge on the boundary. We have Holly, Bay,
and other things, but it will take a time to grow and trim

Posts and cross timbers in the normal way with vertical 3 x 1 placed
alternately inside and outside. Makes an attractive fence which would appear
see though by the 'gaps' on one side, but there is another slat on the other
side if you see what I mean

Just a few

Mike

Old 14-05-2008, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

[...]

Put a few photos on http://www.myalbum.com/Album-ATAFCT7L to give you an
idea of what I am on about :-))

Mike

Old 14-05-2008, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message

[...]

Picture 1 if you click on it, it will enlarge and you can see the Trellis

Mike

Old 14-05-2008, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

Have to agree on the wall idea, if you use the blocks on their sides any
muppet can build a reasonably straight upright wall and its cheaper than
good quality panels with concrete posts (and you never have to
paint/replace it)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 14-05-2008, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote

Concrete Block and rendered with a Square mesh trellis on your side with
something growing on it.

Unforunately, I have had to obtain planning permission for this and am
restricted to fencing set back onto my property by 500mm.
We also have to submit a planting scheme for the "outside" of the fence!!
Doubt whether the council would entertain a wall made from anything but
matched brickwork in any case.

Feather edge boarding for the outside with the above square mesh trellis
inside

That's a thought, standard(ish) fence outside with something inside to
detract.
We intended to grow stuff to screen the fence in any case, but where that
isn't possible, maybe changing the appearance of the fence on the inside
would pass SWMBO's criteria.

Low winded, but grow a natural hedge on the boundary. We have Holly, Bay,
and other things, but it will take a time to grow and trim

Security is an issue on this boundary so we need an instant fix here

Posts and cross timbers in the normal way with vertical 3 x 1 placed
alternately inside and outside. Makes an attractive fence which would
appear see though by the 'gaps' on one side, but there is another slat on
the other side if you see what I mean

Yes I have seen these, and they block views into the garden from "square
on", but as you walk along and look towards them at an angle, you can easily
see between the front and back slats.

Thanks for the suggestions Mike

Will run some of these by the boss!

Phil

Old 14-05-2008, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

http://www.hurdle.co.uk/

Highly recommended but not cheap. I've seen their stuff and it's
beautiful.

--

Thanks Sacha

We have looked at some of the more ornate offerings, but as this is to be a
boundary to a public footpath (albeit set back a bit) it needs to be fairly
rhobust and non-see-through.
Not sure whether the woven willow would resist the impact of a
football/boot.

Phil

Old 14-05-2008, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/5/08 13:53, in article ,
"TheScullster" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote

http://www.hurdle.co.uk/

Highly recommended but not cheap. I've seen their stuff and it's
beautiful.

--

Thanks Sacha

We have looked at some of the more ornate offerings, but as this is to be a
boundary to a public footpath (albeit set back a bit) it needs to be fairly
rhobust and non-see-through.
Not sure whether the woven willow would resist the impact of a
football/boot.

Phil

I'd give them a ring to ask that question. It's fairly robust, so it might
withstand the football. But of course, other than a brick wall, nothing is
going to stand up against a determined and repeatedly destructive boot. Are
tall railings st in concrete and with climbers on them, an option? Again,
it's not cheap but if it's not a huge area would it work? I typed 'secure
fencing' into Google and some fearsome looking but strong stuff came up!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-05-2008, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

Are
tall railings st in concrete and with climbers on them, an option? Again,
it's not cheap but if it's not a huge area would it work? I typed 'secure
fencing' into Google and some fearsome looking but strong stuff came up!

--

No chance, not with our house location and planning department I'm afraid!

Phil

Old 14-05-2008, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14 May, 11:53, Sacha wrote:
http://www.hurdle.co.uk/

Highly recommended but not cheap. I've seen their stuff and it's beautiful.

I've had some, they age very gracefully. get pale and beautiful
Old 14-05-2008, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/5/08 19:08, in article
,
"bobharvey" wrote:

On 14 May, 11:53, Sacha wrote:
http://www.hurdle.co.uk/

Highly recommended but not cheap. I've seen their stuff and it's beautiful.

I've had some, they age very gracefully. get pale and beautiful

We haven't used the hurdles but we have had a living willow fence. We had
to take it down but it was very lovely. Ray struck some of the pieces and
has used them to weave a fence round the top of a pond. It has to be
trimmed every so often as it sends out long shoots but we simply weave some
of them back into the fence again. They also made the most beautiful barley
twist pillars which could be used to frame an archway or the beginning of a
path. Which has just given me an idea........ ;-))

Old 29-05-2008, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all

Desperation stakes here!
Looking for attractive fence panels to border the side of our back garden
onto a public street.
SWMBO won't accept the old "larch lap" or feather edge, mainly because
this is what everyone has.
Have looked at the "woven" european style which (although pretty) have
gaps that allow view-through from certain angles.
Close boarded fences, panels or hand made are rather industrial.
Ideally we are looking for a panel that will fit into slotted posts
(although this is not essential) which is pleasing to the eye from both
sides (subjective I know). It must not allow nosy sorts to see in and
must be fairly rhobust as it will be alongside a public footpath.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Phil
dunno about fencing, but how about rock faced gravel boards, with clematis
whose name escapes me for moment, but flowers in August and is very
rampant, or using russian vine, ( mile a minute plant) that will give
quick greenery cover.

regards
Cineman