Old 17-06-2008, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Yet more "worrisits"....

adm writes

Now you have named it, I remember seeing these flower spikes last year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:A..._%28aka%29.jpg

which are apparently highly poisonous.

What you have in your pic is the berries, which come after the flowers.

--
Kay
Old 18-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
[/i][/color]

http://www.dentonmiller.net/Site/Stu...orrisits!.html

The

first is a big woody bush/hedge type thing with nasty spikes and
berries that birds seem to like. It appears to have spread via suckers
- it's up against one wall of my house and is beginning to cover up
some windows, so what is it and how far can it be cut back?

The second - well. I don't quite know how to describe it - the leaves
are quite attractive, but I don't like the look of the flower bud?
spears....any idea. This is also a bit messed up from bed clearance,
but if the flowers are going to do something nice, I'll see if it can
be salvaged!

thanks in advance.....

Alasdair
.

1: Pyracantha - can be cut back as hard as you like and kept trimmed. Very very useful for keeping intruders out. You will lose a couple of years of flowers and berries, but they will start coming again as the plant adjusts.

2: Arum maculatam [also known as italicum]. Grown for its winter leaves, can be quite stunning. If you don't want the flowers/berries, just take them off when they start.
Old 18-06-2008, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Some "worrisits"....

adm wrote:
Hi All,

I'm blitzing a flowerbed that has been overgrown for a few years, and
have found three plants that i'd like to know more about.

http://www.dentonmiller.net/Site/Stu...se_plants.html

1)
A nice little shrub

I recognise it but can't think of the name, sorry!

2) A tall thin thing with nice coloured leaves

Are some of the lower/older leaves turning green? If so it's possibly a
Photinia fraseri - Little Red Robin - very attractive hedge plant!
Old 18-06-2008, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.dentonmiller.net/Site/Stu...re_these_plant
s.html

1)
A nice little shrub

I recognise it but can't think of the name, sorry!

Same here - I've been wondering about a Viburnum, Weigela, Daphne.....
snip

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 18-06-2008, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/6/08 22:05, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes

the
red thing is, perhaps, a Photinia

Definitely not. On seeing the larger version, I'm more convinced that
it's the Lysimachia.

I've missed something or mis-read it. Which Lysimachia, Kay and which
larger version?

Old 18-06-2008, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Sacha writes
On 17/6/08 22:05, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes

the
red thing is, perhaps, a Photinia

Definitely not. On seeing the larger version, I'm more convinced that
it's the Lysimachia.

I've missed something or mis-read it. Which Lysimachia, Kay

Yellow loosestrife. eg 'Firecracker'.

and which
larger version?

He reposted the link and said he'd made the pics a bit larger

--
Kay
Old 18-06-2008, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm adm is offline

wrote:

adm wrote:
Hi All,

I'm blitzing a flowerbed that has been overgrown for a few years, and
have found three plants that i'd like to know more about.

http://www.dentonmiller.net/Site/Stu...re_these_plant
s.html

1)
A nice little shrub

I recognise it but can't think of the name, sorry!

Same here - I've been wondering about a Viburnum, Weigela, Daphne.....
snip

Well - whatever it is, I like it a lot! Nice and dense with very small leaves.

Can you take cuttings from things like this?

Old 18-06-2008, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.dentonmiller.net/Site/Stu..._are_these_pla
nt
s.html

1)
A nice little shrub

I recognise it but can't think of the name, sorry!

Same here - I've been wondering about a Viburnum, Weigela, Daphne.....
snip

Well - whatever it is, I like it a lot! Nice and dense with very small leaves.

Can you take cuttings from things like this?

You should certainly be able to do that. It's the reddish stems that are
intriguing me!

Old 22-06-2008, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

You should certainly be able to do that. It's the reddish stems that are
intriguing me!

I'd have said the smaller type of pieris. i have one that looks very
similar.
Would have gone for the lysimachia, in fact featured on Friday's
gardener's world.
Not much like a red robin on my monitor, far too dark red and leaves
look more like a perennial that a shrub.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph