Old 01-07-2008, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default $%*X$! Cats

The message
from Eddy contains these words:

Astral Voyager wrote:
I'm sure somewhere on my property is a sign in cat speak that reads
'Public
Toilet'. A good part of my time gardening is spent clearing up their
mess (I
thought they were supposed to bury it).

Come on, man, you are obsessing about this, surely. What's the problem
with a bit of cat shit in the garden? Or even three or four new little
turds every day?

Finding them by Braille while weeding.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 02-07-2008, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

k...

Astral Voyager wrote:
I'm sure somewhere on my property is a sign in cat speak that reads
'Public
Toilet'. A good part of my time gardening is spent clearing up their
mess (I
thought they were supposed to bury it).

Come on, man, you are obsessing about this, surely. What's the problem
with a bit of cat shit in the garden? Or even three or four new little
turds every day?

Finding them by Braille while weeding.

In our garden the cats used to use our chicken's dust bath area. That's a
problem.

We've prevented access by putting chicken wire, loosely, round the places on
the boundary which the cats usd for access. So far it's worked.

Mary

Old 03-07-2008, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 22:42:07 +0100, "Astral Voyager"
wrote:

Has anybody found an effective way of deterring cats from the garden?

Yep, one of those infra red movement detecting water sprinklers.

We used to get loads of cats crap (ferrule wildlife murdering
unpredictable roadkill fleabags that they are) in our enclosed private
back garden and when I dug it all over recently I installed the
device.

Since then my fresh inviting soil has stayed just that, fresh! ;-)

I bought one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/5gejue

And whilst probably not the most sophisticated of products, seems to
do what it says on the tin (especially for £18.49 delivered).

There seems to be times in the day when the sun is in a particular
place (possibly reflections off something) where it can false trigger
but all that happens is my 3 mini allotment beds get a quick watering
;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Old 03-07-2008, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

Tim, how big an area does it cover, I'm thinking hens here :-)

Judith
Old 03-07-2008, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 14:20:43 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France
wrote:

Tim, how big an area does it cover, I'm thinking hens here :-)

Quite a range I would say, maybe as much as the 10m and 90 degrees it
says on the blurb but pretty close.

When I first tried it I didn't realise it had an elevation control. I
turned it on and it swept across three back gardens (Victorian
terrace) first clearing a 6' paneled fence!

In it's lowest setting and maybe 45 degree arc it easily sweeps across
and back and covering the length of our garden (~35 foot)?

There is one downside with them though, you have to remember they are
there! A gardener mate of mine came round and was interested in it. I
said "wave your hand in front of it" so he walked out into the garden!
Ironically he actually matched it's path across our garden and back
and was pretty damp when it stopped g. I then told him he had 5
seconds to get off the garden (or pretend to be a statue) before he
copped another batch! ;-)

For scaring pests it's real ace is the stealthy way it starts and the
area it covers. It sits there quietly then without warning sprays this
jet of water *everywhere* in a sprinkler "pfpfpfpfpf pft pft pft pft
pft" stylee.

Even if I turn the water off it will still soak you if you walk past
it just from the pressure of the water stored in the hose.

All the best ...

T i m

Old 04-07-2008, 02:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"fedupofsalt" wrote:

Try anything citrus. Lemon rind etc. I dont know if you can
buy some sort of citrus spray.

I have seen that mentioned somewhere before. How about Jif lemon juice? But
as mentioned earlier, I would be concerned about any deterrent that would
also impact on the local hedgehogs or any other wildlife.

Buy a male cat.

That is too extreme. I dislike cats generally. Domestic cats are pointless
creatures.

I do recall seeing once a metal profile of a cat with its back arched which
you stuck in the ground. I don't know if they worked. I suppose I could try
making my own. There must be a suitable image somewhere on the web.

If you have a male they will also spray to mark their territory...

In which case some local cat must think he owns my car - as the wheels often
have suspicious marks on them that I suspect is cat ****.

Mel.
--
eBid - The Friendlier Online Auction Site
Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy

Old 04-07-2008, 03:17 AM
Registered User

Few answers! Try anything citrus. Lemon rind etc. I dont know if you can buy some sort of citrus spray. Prevention is better than the cure. As said in a previous response, cover the ground. A newly raked bed or plot might as well have a neon sign.

Buy a male cat. Cats never leave anything in their own garden. If you have a male they will also spray to mark their territory,(spelt wrong i think) which will deter other cat's.

If your lucky enough to have a big garden, plant some catnip in an unused corner. Bears around a honey pot, flys round s**t, rubber neckers at a crash etc etc.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Registered User

I suspect Alan is a dog lover.

Also, I suspect that cat crap will actually be full of nitrogen, and beneficial to your soil.

Or am I being naive?

Maybe the best thing to do is leave an area specifically for the cats to use. Perhaps douse it with catnip to encourage them to use it. Move the area each year as part of your crop rotation.

Pete
Old 04-07-2008, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from fedupofsalt contains these
words:

Few answers! Try anything citrus. Lemon rind etc. I dont know if you can
buy some sort of citrus spray. Prevention is better than the cure. As
said in a previous response, cover the ground. A newly raked bed or
plot might as well have a neon sign.

Oil of citronella...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Cats Lozzie Gardening 2 03-02-2004 08:43 PM
Cats terrorise my fish! Scooby Don't Ponds 22 22-12-2003 07:12 AM
Cats any ideas update auntie_biotic United Kingdom 3 25-04-2003 12:08 AM
cats julie manns United Kingdom 82 07-04-2003 07:56 AM
cats Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 1 19-01-2003 01:04 AM