Old 04-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by T i m View Post
Hi All,

I was talking to the missus tonight re my recent produce growing
experiment and she used the term 'greens'.

I understood the term to be a generic one that related to most green /
leafy, typically eaten cooked vegetables but primarily cabbage (but
including broccoli, kale, spinach etc etc). I personally use the term
like when living with my parents as in "you aren't leaving the table
till you eat all your greens" sort of thing.

T i m
Is red cabbage classed as greens? :-)
Old 04-07-2008, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What are 'greens'?

T i m wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 00:45:04 +0100, Sandy
wrote:

So, still talking of cabbage, re the ones I have growing now, will
they get a heart as some point (ie, do they all) or are some just all
open leaves? (I think I have the model tag for them out there
somewhere).

Yes, they should do! Were these cabbages sown and planted out in
spring/early summer? If so, I think they should start forming hearts
over the next month or two ready for harvesting late summer/autumn.

I'm not sure Sandy as a gardener mate of mine gave them to me about 6
weeks ago as little (3") plants?

It sounds as though they could be the winter variety then and will go in
the ground late summer for cropping next spring. You should get some
spring greens off those if you harvest them early or leave them a little
longer to heart up.

I made the mistake of leaving some in too long (May/June) and they split
and started to rot inside so aim to have them all harvested by end of
April if you can.

Good luck! :-)
Old 05-07-2008, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from T i m contains these words:

I was talking to the missus tonight re my recent produce growing
experiment and she used the term 'greens'.

Like religious festivals which fall on different dates depending on
which denomination celebrates them, 'greens' can mean many things to
mant people.

Loosely, I'd say, any green vegetable meant to be cooked, including
spinach, kale, Savoy and similar densely-hearted cabbages, kohl rabbi,
broccoli, cauliflower, ground elder, fat hen and the various related
oraches, etc, and so-on.

Used specifically, it usually refers to 'spring greens', which is a
sort-of open cabbage, sometimes closed though, and resembling a
spinning-top.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Old 05-07-2008, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from T i m contains these words:

/snip/

I don't think I'm alone either but when some folk say they 'like'
greens they actually mean they don't mind them when the taste is
hidden behind a load of spices or garlic etc?

I 'like' greens. Mad about spinach (and fat hen and the oraches). I like
cabbage as long as it's not boiled to a pulp, caulis,
broccoli/calabrese, spring greens, etc.

I can understand someone not liking them though. However, before giving
up on them (and their alleged anti-cancer properties), do try really
fresh ones.

Trying to think of ways I could eat cabbage (under cover) and that
might be in a stir-fry or bubble_and_squeak.

Try cooking them with some marjoram or oregano.

Alternative suggestions welcomed though! ;-)

For the ultimate in slimming - a diet of cabbage soup...

Seriously, a fresh cauli made into cauliflower cheese. You can beef-up
the cheesy flavour with added Parmisan and herbs. To the cheese sauce I
usually add ground black pepper, marjoram, ground celery seed and onions
fried in olive oil.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 05-07-2008, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sandy contains these words:

One of my favourite dishes which went down rather well with everyone was
cabbage and bacon.

Shades of O'Rafferty's Pig! ("Of cabbage and bacon illegally taken, the
noight that O'Rafferty's pig got away...)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 05-07-2008, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from T i m contains these words:

I was actually asking from more of a chemical explanation POV. ie, do
dark(er) greens have less of what_ever_it_is that make 'greens' in
general so distasteful to me?

I don't think so. The element(s) you dislike may be masked by the
(usually) greater bitterness of darker cabbage though.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 05-07-2008, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 11:34:55 +0100, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:

The message
from T i m contains these words:

I was actually asking from more of a chemical explanation POV. ie, do
dark(er) greens have less of what_ever_it_is that make 'greens' in
general so distasteful to me?

I don't think so. The element(s) you dislike may be masked by the
(usually) greater bitterness of darker cabbage though.

Ok, thanks.

All the best ..

T i m

Old 05-07-2008, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 11:27:22 +0100, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:

The message
from T i m contains these words:

/snip/

I don't think I'm alone either but when some folk say they 'like'
greens they actually mean they don't mind them when the taste is
hidden behind a load of spices or garlic etc?

I 'like' greens. Mad about spinach (and fat hen and the oraches). I like
cabbage as long as it's not boiled to a pulp, caulis,
broccoli/calabrese, spring greens, etc.

Ok. There really must be a diverse range of taste buds within the
population then (well, duh) as I really would have to be very very
hungry before I even considered cooking any greens!

I can understand someone not liking them though. However, before giving
up on them (and their alleged anti-cancer properties), do try really
fresh ones.

Well I haven't given up on them just wish I was able to like them (as
they are) in the same way as others apparently do (as per your good
self etc). I know they are good for us but I really find the taste
horrible, in spite of being pretty open to eating all kinds of other
junk. FWIW my favourite taste(s) are mild-spicey or with a bit of real
taste like a pepperoni Pizza, chicken Tikka, Walkers Cheese and onion
crisps g or a strong cheddar etc. It's possibly because of this
oversensitive (could it be?) taste thing to stuff like greens (worse
pretty much anything in the marrow family) that I get pushed away on
to other (less healthy) foods. Also, possibly partly due to the same
effect I'd often just as soon have some beans on toast as a full
English roast with all the trimmings. :-(

Hence we rarely go out for meals nor bother to cook much at home. When
she says "what do you fancy for tea" I'll rarely muster a preference
and will generally eat (but seldom 'enjoy') what I'm given.

Trying to think of ways I could eat cabbage (under cover) and that
might be in a stir-fry or bubble_and_squeak.

Try cooking them with some marjoram or oregano.

I doubt if we have any of that in the cupboard but will look out for
some the next time I go shopping. Again, I don't like many herby
tastes, especially if they are obvious. I want to eat something that
smells like food and not a pot-pouri! ;-)

Alternative suggestions welcomed though! ;-)

For the ultimate in slimming - a diet of cabbage soup...

Hmm, well we both should consider that then. Let's hope that the
little white seed looking things I found in the curled up leaves of my
cabbages recently have gone away for good since I've sprayed them or
I'm not sure I'll have enough left for more than one bowl of soup. :-(

Seriously, a fresh cauli made into cauliflower cheese. You can beef-up
the cheesy flavour with added Parmisan and herbs. To the cheese sauce I
usually add ground black pepper, marjoram, ground celery seed and onions
fried in olive oil.

Hmm, now I will eat some cauliflower cheese but only of the
cauliflower has been boiled to buggery and there is plenty of strong
cheese / pepper to mask the cauliflower taste.

I really do wish I could enjoy all this stuff (especially because the
missus loves it all) but I just can't (and trust me I've tried). It
continues (from my earliest memories of the stuff when I was 5 or so)
to feel / taste like eating bitter hot blotting paper. :-(

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. Even as a kid I yearned for the days when the ritual that was
eating food with the family was replaced with a simple space capsule
and I could just be left alone to continue working on my projects with
no disturbances! ;-)

The two phrases that always used to make my heart sink:

"Tiiiim. Put all that away and come in for dinner, now!" and

"No you can't go back out until you have finished eating your greens"
sigh

Old 05-07-2008, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 11:18:35 +0100, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:

The message
from T i m contains these words:

I was talking to the missus tonight re my recent produce growing
experiment and she used the term 'greens'.

Like religious festivals which fall on different dates depending on
which denomination celebrates them, 'greens' can mean many things to
mant people.

Ok ..

Loosely, I'd say, any green vegetable meant to be cooked, including
spinach, kale, Savoy and similar densely-hearted cabbages, kohl rabbi,
broccoli, cauliflower, ground elder, fat hen and the various related
oraches, etc, and so-on.

Ok, well I was with you up to broccoli ;-)

Used specifically, it usually refers to 'spring greens', which is a
sort-of open cabbage, sometimes closed though, and resembling a
spinning-top.

I know the one and thanks.

All the best

T i m

Texel Greens PRIORPARK17 United Kingdom 2 05-04-2003 12:32 PM
Greens Karen Texas 9 20-03-2003 05:56 AM
warm weather greens Johnny Kuo North Carolina 1 15-03-2003 07:08 PM
beet greens zxcvbob Edible Gardening 1 01-02-2003 12:33 PM
Growing greens indoors JTULL5 Edible Gardening 5 28-01-2003 10:37 PM