Old 03-07-2008, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What are 'greens'?

Hi All,

I was talking to the missus tonight re my recent produce growing
experiment and she used the term 'greens'.

I understood the term to be a generic one that related to most green /
leafy, typically eaten cooked vegetables but primarily cabbage (but
including broccoli, kale, spinach etc etc). I personally use the term
like when living with my parents as in "you aren't leaving the table
till you eat all your greens" sort of thing.

But those other vegetables are generally sold and advertised as such
(like spinach rather than generic 'greens' as such).

She was confused (being even less of a gardener than me) as in the
supermarkets she buys items marked as 'greens' on the packet so
assumed they were an actual variety as such (sort of a thinner leafed
cabbage).

I'm not sure if I would put brussel sprouts in the 'greens' category
though (personally I'd put them straight in the compost bin) .;-)

So, what does the panel think (apart from my need to get out more
etc). ;-)

All the best ..

T i m
Old 03-07-2008, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
T i m writes:

| I was talking to the missus tonight re my recent produce growing
| experiment and she used the term 'greens'.
|
| I understood the term to be a generic one that related to most green /
| leafy, typically eaten cooked vegetables but primarily cabbage (but
| including broccoli, kale, spinach etc etc). I personally use the term
| like when living with my parents as in "you aren't leaving the table
| till you eat all your greens" sort of thing.

Yup.

| But those other vegetables are generally sold and advertised as such
| (like spinach rather than generic 'greens' as such).

Usually, but "spring greens" is a pretty common category, normally
meaning curly kale.

| She was confused (being even less of a gardener than me) as in the
| supermarkets she buys items marked as 'greens' on the packet so
| assumed they were an actual variety as such (sort of a thinner leafed
| cabbage).

Yup, that's what they are. Brassica oleracea (the cabbage species)
includes the kales, brussels sprouts, broccoli, many oriental greens
and more.

| I'm not sure if I would put brussel sprouts in the 'greens' category
| though (personally I'd put them straight in the compost bin) .;-)
|
| So, what does the panel think (apart from my need to get out more
| etc). ;-)

You should eat up your greens and not ask what they are?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

T i m wrote:
[...]

I should imagine she's referring to "spring greens" - a winter cabbage
such as Primo which is picked in the Spring before the heart is fully
formed.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 Jul 2008 21:08:49 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

| I understood the term to be a generic one that related to most green /
| leafy, typically eaten cooked vegetables but primarily cabbage (but
| including broccoli, kale, spinach etc etc). I personally use the term
| like when living with my parents as in "you aren't leaving the table
| till you eat all your greens" sort of thing.

Yup.

So far so good then .. ;-)

| But those other vegetables are generally sold and advertised as such
| (like spinach rather than generic 'greens' as such).

Usually, but "spring greens" is a pretty common category, normally
meaning curly kale.

So, would you ever see a packet in a supermarket saying just 'Greens'
or would it actually say (as you suggest) 'Spring greens' (and in fact
be kale)? I'm trying to get to grips with the idea if they can market
a product called just 'Greens' or in fact is that simply still to
generic?

| She was confused (being even less of a gardener than me) as in the
| supermarkets she buys items marked as 'greens' on the packet so
| assumed they were an actual variety as such (sort of a thinner leafed
| cabbage).

Yup, that's what they are. Brassica oleracea (the cabbage species)
includes the kales, brussels sprouts, broccoli, many oriental greens
and more.

Hmmm, ok, so a packet could (say) be advertised as 'Mixed Cabbage' and
contain all you list above Nick?

| I'm not sure if I would put brussel sprouts in the 'greens' category
| though (personally I'd put them straight in the compost bin) .;-)
|
| So, what does the panel think (apart from my need to get out more
| etc). ;-)

You should eat up your greens and not ask what they are?

Hmm, I wish it were so simple.

Firstly I just don't like the taste of any 'greens'. It's not
something I have a choice over, it's simply a fact. I've eaten them
over the best part of 50 years but still don't like them. I believe
someone here once explained that such plants contain a similar
chemical as is found in sugar replacement / diet type drinks and I
(still) don't like that either.

I don't think I'm alone either but when some folk say they 'like'
greens they actually mean they don't mind them when the taste is
hidden behind a load of spices or garlic etc?

Trying to think of ways I could eat cabbage (under cover) and that
might be in a stir-fry or bubble_and_squeak.

Alternative suggestions welcomed though! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

FWIW and in case it helps, I actually LIKE runner beans (when shredded
in strips, don't like them in chunks or stringy), peas, broad / kidney
/ butter / baked beans g. I'm also ok with most of the root veg and
cucumbers / celery / onions etc but would rather eat a slug than a
courgette. :-(

Old 04-07-2008, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 22:41:05 +0100, Sandy
wrote:

I should imagine she's referring to "spring greens" - a winter cabbage
such as Primo which is picked in the Spring before the heart is fully
formed.

Ah, thanks.

So, still talking of cabbage, re the ones I have growing now, will
they get a heart as some point (ie, do they all) or are some just all
open leaves? (I think I have the model tag for them out there
somewhere).

Also, some of the smaller cabbage- inner leaves are all screwed up and
look like they have a white stuff on them? Is this normal do you think
please?

All the best ..

T i m

Old 04-07-2008, 12:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I should imagine she's referring to "spring greens" - a winter cabbage
such as Primo which is picked in the Spring before the heart is fully
formed.

Ah, thanks.

So, still talking of cabbage, re the ones I have growing now, will
they get a heart as some point (ie, do they all) or are some just all
open leaves? (I think I have the model tag for them out there
somewhere).

Yes, they should do! Were these cabbages sown and planted out in
spring/early summer? If so, I think they should start forming hearts
over the next month or two ready for harvesting late summer/autumn.

Also, some of the smaller cabbage- inner leaves are all screwed up and
look like they have a white stuff on them? Is this normal do you think
please?

Eeeek! that sounds like you have an aphid problem! Something I've also
been struggling with this year. The leaves curl over and you'll find
lots of little grey insects snuggled inside!

You can opt to blast them with a hose; spray with dilute washing up
liquid, or, if the infestation is /really/ bad, you might want to use
something such as Provado. I guess it all depends how you feel about
using chemicals on food products.

All the best ..

T i m

Old 04-07-2008, 12:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

T i m wrote:

Trying to think of ways I could eat cabbage (under cover) and that
might be in a stir-fry or bubble_and_squeak.

Alternative suggestions welcomed though! ;-)

I had to become rather inventive this year due to growing rather more
cabbages than I needed! ;-)

One of my favourite dishes which went down rather well with everyone was
cabbage and bacon.

Chop several rashers bacon (or use lard-ons) and fry until crispy and
set aside. Take a large onion, cut in half and thinly slice, sweat off
in a little olive oil in large pan. Add shredded cabbage and place lid
on, turn heat down to low and leave to cook down for 5-10 mins. Season
and stir in bacon before serving with mashed potato!

Yum!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 00:58:11 +0100, Sandy
wrote:

T i m wrote:

Trying to think of ways I could eat cabbage (under cover) and that
might be in a stir-fry or bubble_and_squeak.

Alternative suggestions welcomed though! ;-)

I had to become rather inventive this year due to growing rather more
cabbages than I needed! ;-)

Nice result though.

One of my favourite dishes which went down rather well with everyone was
cabbage and bacon.

Ok ..

Chop several rashers bacon (or use lard-ons) and fry until crispy and
set aside. Take a large onion, cut in half and thinly slice, sweat off
in a little olive oil in large pan. Add shredded cabbage and place lid
on, turn heat down to low and leave to cook down for 5-10 mins. Season
and stir in bacon before serving with mashed potato!

Hey, even I understood that, I'll give it a try, thanks! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Old 04-07-2008, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 00:45:04 +0100, Sandy
wrote:

So, still talking of cabbage, re the ones I have growing now, will
they get a heart as some point (ie, do they all) or are some just all
open leaves? (I think I have the model tag for them out there
somewhere).

Yes, they should do! Were these cabbages sown and planted out in
spring/early summer? If so, I think they should start forming hearts
over the next month or two ready for harvesting late summer/autumn.

I'm not sure Sandy as a gardener mate of mine gave them to me about 6
weeks ago as little (3") plants?

Also, some of the smaller cabbage- inner leaves are all screwed up and
look like they have a white stuff on them? Is this normal do you think
please?

Eeeek! that sounds like you have an aphid problem! Something I've also
been struggling with this year. The leaves curl over and you'll find
lots of little grey insects snuggled inside!

Ah. :-(

You can opt to blast them with a hose; spray with dilute washing up
liquid, or, if the infestation is /really/ bad, you might want to use
something such as Provado. I guess it all depends how you feel about
using chemicals on food products.

Hmm, same said gardener gave me a small bottle of 'Polysect' last year
and fearful of the black fly that eventually took over my runner beans
last year I sprayed them (and the cabbage) a day or so ago? [1]

I have no problems with chemicals as long as they are tried and tested
and I don't have to use them too often etc.

All the best ..

T i m

[1] I first spotted some ants on the tops of the runners and I
remember last year seeing ants managing batches of black fly?
Old 04-07-2008, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
T i m writes:

| So, would you ever see a packet in a supermarket saying just 'Greens'
| or would it actually say (as you suggest) 'Spring greens' (and in fact
| be kale)? I'm trying to get to grips with the idea if they can market
| a product called just 'Greens' or in fact is that simply still to
| generic?

They could, but it's unlikely.

| Yup, that's what they are. Brassica oleracea (the cabbage species)
| includes the kales, brussels sprouts, broccoli, many oriental greens
| and more.
|
| Hmmm, ok, so a packet could (say) be advertised as 'Mixed Cabbage' and
| contain all you list above Nick?

Probable "Mixed cabbages", but yes.

| Firstly I just don't like the taste of any 'greens'. ...
|
| I don't think I'm alone either ...

You're not.

| Trying to think of ways I could eat cabbage (under cover) and that
| might be in a stir-fry or bubble_and_squeak.
|
| Alternative suggestions welcomed though! ;-)

Try southern (USA) style. Cut into strips and cook fairly briefly in
a small amount of fairly strong, brown stock (esp. beef). The salt
and umami cut the bitterness.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
T i m writes:

| p.s. Is there an explanation why I mind less (I nearly said like
| there! g) spinach and some of the darker cabbages please?

People vary. I am relatively unusual in disliking the combination
of general bitter tastes and sweetness - for example, I dislike
sweet yoghourt and most cheesecakes, but like ayran and yoghourt
on savoury foods. You are relatively unusual in another way, but
not in a very surprising one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
T i m writes:

| I was actually asking from more of a chemical explanation POV. ie, do
| dark(er) greens have less of what_ever_it_is that make 'greens' in
| general so distasteful to me?

Yes and no. There are a zillion different chemicals involved, all
plants and varieties differ, and people vary in their sensitivity
to each one. So looking for a single factor is a waste of time.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Registered User

Location: Morecambe, Lancashire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
T i m wrote:[color=blue][i]

Chop several rashers bacon (or use lard-ons) and fry until crispy and
set aside. Take a large onion, cut in half and thinly slice, sweat off
in a little olive oil in large pan. Add shredded cabbage and place lid
on, turn heat down to low and leave to cook down for 5-10 mins. Season
and stir in bacon before serving with mashed potato!

Yum!
Now that is just plain unfair.... drool....

ian

Texel Greens PRIORPARK17 United Kingdom 2 05-04-2003 12:32 PM
Greens Karen Texas 9 20-03-2003 05:56 AM
warm weather greens Johnny Kuo North Carolina 1 15-03-2003 07:08 PM
beet greens zxcvbob Edible Gardening 1 01-02-2003 12:33 PM
Growing greens indoors JTULL5 Edible Gardening 5 28-01-2003 10:37 PM