Old 21-07-2008, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I don't believe it!!!

Following up to Judith in France

Do you know anyone on
the Council who will bring up this sort of thing at their next
session?

I wouldnt go to that level, just contact the supervisor and have a little
chat.
--
Mike:::::::::
remove clothing to email
Old 21-07-2008, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 21, 1:58 pm, "Mike....."
wrote:
Following up to Judith in France

Do you know anyone on
the Council who will bring up this sort of thing at their next
session?

I wouldnt go to that level, just contact the supervisor and have a little
chat.
--
Mike:::::::::
remove clothing to email

I have a friend who sits on Norwich City Council, she brings many
small stuff to the table and as a result , a precedent emerges which
doesn't change even though staff might. For example Christmas tree
collection to make into ground cover, and many other small things
which add up to a cohesive whole.

Judith
Old 21-07-2008, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
Across and alongside the track from our allotment was a 2ft wide bit of soil
covered with weeds against a S. facing wall. Not being one waste such a
superb growing position I dug over the bit opposite out plot and planted
surplus plants from our garden there, a number of TB Iris some large Red Hot
Pokers, lots of hardy Geraniums and a small Paulownia.
Beginning to look nice until we went down there yesterday, some idiots have
obviously been employed to strim the weeds and they have gone along the wall
and strimmed everything to the ground!
I suppose if they had any intelligence they wouldn't do that job.
Rant over.

Maddening, but as you say they are probably trained to use strimmers
safely but indiscriminately. However, Iris and "Red Hot Pokers" would
surely be obviously desirable flowers, even to them?
--
Gordon H
Old 21-07-2008, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Judith in France" wroteafter "Bob Hobden" wrote:
Across and alongside the track from our allotment was a 2ft wide bit of
soil
covered with weeds against a S. facing wall. Not being one waste such a
superb growing position I dug over the bit opposite out plot and planted
surplus plants from our garden there, a number of TB Iris some large Red
Hot
Pokers, lots of hardy Geraniums and a small Paulownia.
Beginning to look nice until we went down there yesterday, some idiots
have
obviously been employed to strim the weeds and they have gone along the
wall
and strimmed everything to the ground!
I suppose if they had any intelligence they wouldn't do that job.
Rant over.

Bob that is do disheartening, how stupid, even someone with half a
brain should have known to leave them alone. Do you know anyone on
the Council who will bring up this sort of thing at their next
session?

I suspect it was a contractor for the local Water Co. as they have a sewage
pumping station at the end of the track.
Having spoken to them before about something else I doubt I would ever get
any sense.
The iris will regrow, and possibly the geraniums but I doubt anything else
will. I'll try marking it our with something to give them a clue.

One method of treating Paulownias is to treat them as spot foliage
plants, but stooling them annually. (This treatment results in larger
leaves.) So, depending on how established it was, and to what degree the
strimmer wounds act as an entry point for pathogens, there is a
possibility that the Paulownia will regrow.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 21-07-2008, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I don't believe it!!! Part 2!l

"Bob Hobden" wrote
Across and alongside the track from our allotment was a 2ft wide bit of
soil covered with weeds against a S. facing wall. Not being one waste such
a superb growing position I dug over the bit opposite out plot and planted
surplus plants from our garden there, a number of TB Iris some large Red
Hot Pokers, lots of hardy Geraniums and a small Paulownia.
Beginning to look nice until we went down there yesterday, some idiots
have obviously been employed to strim the weeds and they have gone along
the wall and strimmed everything to the ground!
I suppose if they had any intelligence they wouldn't do that job.
Rant over.

We went down to the allotment this afternoon to do some watering and
planting. Just finished watering and a neighbour turned up and asked us if
we had checked our Rabbit Fencing along the track in the last couple of
days. Turns out those guys that cut down all my plants were using brush
cutters not strimmers and when they did our side of the track the metal
blade cut all along our fence just at ground level (rabbit level). Spent the
next two +hours mending the fence with some wire mesh panels we luckily had
around. Bas*$^%s!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-07-2008, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/7/08 18:20, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote
[...]

I really hope you're going to bill the Council, Bob!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 21-07-2008, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote
[...]

Gggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Were you in time to prevent rabbit ingress?

Mary

Old 21-07-2008, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Bob Hobden" wrote
[...]

It would appear so, yes. But I don't think another neighbouring allotment
has been so lucky, when I walked down the track it looked like their cut
fence had been pushed in by something and there were scrapings on the
ground. Unfortunately I don't have any contact details so have asked our
Council to contact them. I've also asked the Council to make a complaint to
the Water Co.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-07-2008, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Were you in time to prevent rabbit ingress?

It would appear so, yes. But I don't think another neighbouring allotment
has been so lucky, when I walked down the track it looked like their cut
fence had been pushed in by something and there were scrapings on the
ground. Unfortunately I don't have any contact details so have asked our
Council to contact them. I've also asked the Council to make a complaint
to the Water Co.

Let us know what happens, it might be useful for readers to know how to go
about successful complaining.

Mary

Old 22-07-2008, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Bob Hobden" wrote
[...]

Bob, you aren't related to a Victor Mildrew, are you?

rob

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --

Old 22-07-2008, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George.com" wrote in message

Bob, you aren't related to a Victor Mildrew, are you?

He's justified.

I'm married to a cross between Meldrew and Garnett!

Mary

Old 22-07-2008, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"George.com" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote
[...]

You are not the first to make such a observation. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-07-2008, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"George.com" wrote in message

Bob, you aren't related to a Victor Mildrew, are you?

He's justified.

I'm married to a cross between Meldrew and Garnett!

Mary

Meldrew was much maligned! He was a victim of events, rather than
the cause of them. I am proud to be a little like him, especially
his habit of fiddling with things and breaking them. Just curiosity,
that's all!

Garnett was something else, created as the archetypal bigot.
--
Gordon H
Old 22-07-2008, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"George.com" wrote in message

Bob, you aren't related to a Victor Mildrew, are you?

He's justified.

I'm married to a cross between Meldrew and Garnett!

Mary

Meldrew was much maligned! He was a victim of events, rather than
the cause of them. I am proud to be a little like him, especially his
habit of fiddling with things and breaking them. Just curiosity,
that's all!

Garnett was something else, created as the archetypal bigot.

Spouse isn't a bigot but he has a short fuse - he sometimes looks like
Garnett, espcially when he jumps up and down in frustration :-)

Mary

Old 22-07-2008, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 22, 5:22 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote in message

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"George.com" wrote in message

Bob, you aren't related to a Victor Mildrew, are you?

He's justified.

I'm married to a cross between Meldrew and Garnett!

Mary

Meldrew was much maligned! He was a victim of events, rather than
the cause of them. I am proud to be a little like him, especially his
habit of fiddling with things and breaking them. Just curiosity,
that's all!

Garnett was something else, created as the archetypal bigot.

Spouse isn't a bigot but he has a short fuse - he sometimes looks like
Garnett, espcially when he jumps up and down in frustration :-)

Mary

Mary!!!! I have seen your spouse, he is lovely especially in the
waistcoats you made ):-

Judith