Old 25-07-2008, 03:07 AM
Registered User

Location: Staffordshire
Default Gooseberry bush

Could you please tell me when is the best time to move a gooseberry bush.
It has been in its present position for about 15 years and has not been pruned for at least 10 years.
Appreciate any help.
Dave
Old 25-07-2008, 04:14 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerashy View Post
Could you please tell me when is the best time to move a gooseberry bush.
It has been in its present position for about 15 years and has not been pruned for at least 10 years.
Appreciate any help.
Dave
Transplant in autumn when the ground is still warm but the plant is going into dormancy. Best done in one go so make sure the planting site is well-prepared before doing the deed.
Old 25-07-2008, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"camerashy" wrote in message

Could you please tell me when is the best time to move a gooseberry
bush.
It has been in its present position for about 15 years and has not been
pruned for at least 10 years.
Appreciate any help.
Dave

In the autumn while the ground is still a bit warm. You can prune it at the
same time leaving the centre as open as possible. Might be worth investing
in some cuttings.

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 25-07-2008, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote
"camerashy" wrote in message

Could you please tell me when is the best time to move a gooseberry
bush.
It has been in its present position for about 15 years and has not been
pruned for at least 10 years.
Appreciate any help.
Dave

In the autumn while the ground is still a bit warm. You can prune it at
the same time leaving the centre as open as possible. Might be worth
investing in some cuttings.

And some Welding Gloves and plenty of Elastoplasts! :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-07-2008, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert (Plymouth)" wrote in message

"camerashy" wrote in message

Could you please tell me when is the best time to move a gooseberry
bush.
It has been in its present position for about 15 years and has not been
pruned for at least 10 years.
Appreciate any help.
Dave

In the autumn while the ground is still a bit warm. You can prune it at
the same time leaving the centre as open as possible. Might be worth
investing in some cuttings.

I asked about striking gooseberry cuttings recently and someone here
encourzged me to try. I put two in a pot, one is thriving, thanks.

Mary

Old 25-07-2008, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"camerashy" wrote in message
Could you please tell me when is the best time to move a gooseberry
bush.
It has been in its present position for about 15 years and has not been
pruned for at least 10 years.
Appreciate any help.
Dave

In the autumn while the ground is still a bit warm. You can prune it at
the same time leaving the centre as open as possible. Might be worth
investing in some cuttings.

I asked about striking gooseberry cuttings recently and someone here
encourzged me to try. I put two in a pot, one is thriving, thanks.

It is easier to peg a few of the lower braches into the ground. It will
root very easily that way sometimes even if you don't want it to.

Looks like it will be a good year for blackcurrants, gooseberries and
their intermediate jostaberry (trouble is the birds eat them first).

Regards,
Martin Brown

Gooseberry bush pollination David in Normandy[_7_] United Kingdom 3 14-04-2009 10:34 PM
gooseberry bush ajr United Kingdom 4 11-11-2005 06:11 PM
propagating gooseberry bush Ros Butt United Kingdom 8 15-07-2005 06:55 PM
Gooseberry Bush Ben United Kingdom 1 02-08-2004 05:04 PM
No flowers on gooseberry bush Steve Harris United Kingdom 3 14-05-2003 10:44 PM