Old 17-08-2008, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Economy 7 meter digital (OT)

I know this is the wrong newsgroup but I cannot find the diy one. Either my
server has removed it or I just cant find it. Anyway, I have economy 7
electricity and they have just replaced the meter with a digital one and I
cannot work it out and I have tried the internet but they give N and L for
the tariff readings

Can someone tell me which " T" and "R" stand for? I know one is night and
one day but I dont know which. This is exceptionally important since there
is something wrong with the electricity supply and the thing is using 200
quid worth of electricity a month and I have nothing on.

I am trying to read the meter day and night to work out whats lamping the
electric but I cant do that not knowing which is day rate and which is
night. Can someone with one of these new digital elec tronic readers tell
me which is which?

Old 17-08-2008, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 09:26:51 +0100, "endymion"

wrote:

I know this is the wrong newsgroup but I cannot find the diy one. Either
my
server has removed it or I just cant find it. Anyway, I have economy 7
electricity and they have just replaced the meter with a digital one and I
cannot work it out and I have tried the internet but they give N and L for
the tariff readings

Can someone tell me which " T" and "R" stand for? I know one is night and
one day but I dont know which. This is exceptionally important since
there
is something wrong with the electricity supply and the thing is using 200
quid worth of electricity a month and I have nothing on.

a) Put something on
b) Note the time of day
c) Note which counter is changing.
e) Phone the energy supplier and ask them why you have a non standard
meter
f) Formally object to the bill in writing.
g) The top line should be Low
h) the bottom line should be Normal.

https://www.edfenergycfs.com/onlineR...lectricity.htm
--

Martin

Thank you very much, but given I have to climb a 10 ft ladder to look at the
readings I was going to forego trying to put something on and work out ( of
the six figure reading boxes that are on there) which was which. I am
female I don't like ladders.

I have worked out T and R are the important ones but cant work out which. I
know whatever it is is running at night and not during the day. I have
nothing running at night and not during the day ( storage heaters off and I
use an immersion heater ( time switched for an hour 4 - 5 am only)

Old 17-08-2008, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

https://www.edfenergycfs.com/onlineR...lectricity.htm
--

Martin

The site shows the meter I used to have ( was easy to read because both
figures showed and you could tell what was what. Now I have a new meter -
fancy job - it shows just one reading which is the total consumption of
electric on its main face. It flashes with a red light ( or two) depending
on which rate is currently in use ( I think). Thats best guessing from
looking at it.

If you want to know the breakdowns you have to get up to the box on a
ladder and press a blue button in the top corner which then tells you

a) the date ( I think)
press again

b) the time ( I think but it isnt right, its an hour out)
press again

c) an R rate which gives one reading

press again
d) a T rate.

You get these readings for a few seconds and then it re sets itself.

There is no N or L like on the old one.

Old 17-08-2008, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"endymion" wrote in message
I know this is the wrong newsgroup but I cannot find the diy one. Either my
server has removed it or I just cant find it. Anyway, I have economy 7
electricity and they have just replaced the meter with a digital one and I
cannot work it out and I have tried the internet but they give N and L for
the tariff readings

Can someone tell me which " T" and "R" stand for? I know one is night and
one day but I dont know which. This is exceptionally important since
there is something wrong with the electricity supply and the thing is
using 200 quid worth of electricity a month and I have nothing on.

I am trying to read the meter day and night to work out whats lamping the
electric but I cant do that not knowing which is day rate and which is
night. Can someone with one of these new digital elec tronic readers tell
me which is which?

There are some very knowledgeable and helpful people over at uk.d-i-y. You
can always access the group via Google at
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/topics?hl=en.

Old 17-08-2008, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 17 Aug, 10:04, "gavin"
wrote:
"endymion" wrote in message

[...]

I can't understand why your meter is 10 ft up, I thought that meters
had to be accessable for reading.
David Hill

Old 17-08-2008, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 17 Aug, 10:04, "gavin"
wrote:
"endymion" wrote in message

I can't understand why your meter is 10 ft up, I thought that meters
had to be accessable for reading.
David Hill

Its always been there. Its a 1950's bungalow. With the old meter which
showed both readings it was readable. Its only the new meter you have to
climb up for. Thats because you cant see the readings without pressing the
blue button

Old 17-08-2008, 11:13 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 09:26:51 +0100, endymion wrote:

I know this is the wrong newsgroup but I cannot find the diy one.

uk.d-i-y added to the newsgroups list.

Either my server has removed it or I just cant find it. Anyway, I have
economy 7 electricity and they have just replaced the meter with a
digital one and I cannot work it out and I have tried the internet but
they give N and L for the tariff readings

Can someone tell me which " T" and "R" stand for? I know one is night
and one day but I dont know which. This is exceptionally important
since there is something wrong with the electricity supply and the
thing is using 200 quid worth of electricity a month and I have nothing
on.

Dispute the bill *now*. Worry about why later.

I am trying to read the meter day and night to work out whats lamping
the electric but I cant do that not knowing which is day rate and which
is night. Can someone with one of these new digital elec tronic readers
tell me which is which?

Can you upload a picture some where? Always better than trying to describe
something.

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 09:58:47 +0100, endymion wrote:

Now I have a new meter - fancy job - it shows just one reading which is
the total consumption of electric on its main face. It flashes with a
red light ( or two) depending on which rate is currently in use ( I
think). Thats best guessing from looking at it.

The red light flashes faster or slower depending on the current level of
power consumption. Ours is 1 flash per 0.001kWHr (1/1000th unit) but your
meter is different ours just continuously cycles through the two rates and
a display check.

a) the date ( I think)
press again

b) the time ( I think but it isnt right, its an hour out)
press again

If it knows the time *and* date it's probably a radio controlled time
switch/meter, or "teleswitch". What writing is on it? The time will be an
hour out as we are in BST at the moment and power switching stays on GMT.

c) an R rate which gives one reading

press again
d) a T rate.

The easy way to tell which is which is to see which one clicks up during
the day. Read it in the morning and then again in the evening. One should
have stayed static and the other gone up by say 5 to 25.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 17-08-2008, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 11:08:35 +0100, "endymion"
wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 17 Aug, 10:04, "gavin"
wrote:
"endymion" wrote in message

I can't understand why your meter is 10 ft up, I thought that meters
had to be accessable for reading.
David Hill

Its always been there. Its a 1950's bungalow. With the old meter which
showed both readings it was readable. Its only the new meter you have to
climb up for. Thats because you cant see the readings without pressing the
blue button

You must have very high ceilings in your bungalow if the meter is 10ft
above the ground.
Old 18-08-2008, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2683436/
"endymion" wrote in message
I know this is the wrong newsgroup but I cannot find the diy one. Either my
server has removed it or I just cant find it. Anyway, I have economy 7
electricity and they have just replaced the meter with a digital one and I
cannot work it out and I have tried the internet but they give N and L for
the tariff readings

Can someone tell me which " T" and "R" stand for? I know one is night and
one day but I dont know which. This is exceptionally important since
there is something wrong with the electricity supply and the thing is
using 200 quid worth of electricity a month and I have nothing on.

I am trying to read the meter day and night to work out whats lamping the
electric but I cant do that not knowing which is day rate and which is
night. Can someone with one of these new digital elec tronic readers tell
me which is which?

To add to the confusion I've got a 3 rate heating meter. I've always been
able to know what's happening by a definitive "clunk" when the meter
switches to between zones.

Old 20-08-2008, 02:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 09:26:51 +0100, endymion wrote:

I know this is the wrong newsgroup but I cannot find the diy one.

uk.d-i-y added to the newsgroups list.

Either my server has removed it or I just cant find it. Anyway, I have
economy 7 electricity and they have just replaced the meter with a
digital one and I cannot work it out and I have tried the internet but
they give N and L for the tariff readings

I think mine states 1 and 2

Can someone tell me which " T" and "R" stand for? I know one is night
and one day but I dont know which.

On my meter the only one displayed is the one that represents that time of
day.
i.e 8:30am to about 12:30am (just after midnight) the day rate is displayed
(default)
but at nigth when (cough) economy 7 is running the night rate is diplayed by
default.

This is exceptionally important
since there is something wrong with the electricity supply and the
thing is using 200 quid worth of electricity a month and I have nothing
on.

Well put your cloths back on, and you won;t need the heater on ;-)

Dispute the bill *now*. Worry about why later.

perhaps the meter reader read it worng they did with mine.
There are actualy 3 possible displays on mine.
if say the first is say the day rate, the second is the night rate and a
third displays
the total day+night I assume this is used for error checking or to detect
any
fiddling, buit they could have read this rate as either the day or night
which would be higher than either alone.

The easy way to tell which is which is to see which one clicks up during
the day. Read it in the morning and then again in the evening. One should
have stayed static and the other gone up by say 5 to 25.

You might be able to just on a few heavy appliances and what it change
within a few minutes.
I just brough one of those remote elec. usage checkers from B&Q reduced
from ~£60 to £30. The go around the live incoming cable.

Old 20-08-2008, 02:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:10:41 +0100 someone who may be "whisky-dave"
wrote this:-

perhaps the meter reader read it worng they did with mine.
There are actualy 3 possible displays on mine.
if say the first is say the day rate, the second is the night rate and a
third displays
the total day+night I assume this is used for error checking or to detect
any
fiddling, buit they could have read this rate as either the day or night
which would be higher than either alone.

One I used to read displayed three totals:

"Rate 1" was the peak units.

"Rate 2" was the off-peak units used by appliances on 24 hour
circuits.

"Total" was the (generally night) units used by appliances connected
to the terminals for off-peak heating. I say generally night as
fairly often in autumn, spring and summer these were activated (by
radio) for an hour or so in the afternoon.

The total number of off-peak units was obtained by adding the "Rate
2" and "Total" figures.

This stupidly set up meter caused considerable confusion to begin
with.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh