Old 28-08-2008, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Des Higgins straight claim !

On Aug 26, 1:11 pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:
On Aug 26, 10:56 am, Judith in France
wrote:

On Aug 26, 9:08 am, AriesVal
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:53:43 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:
On Aug 25, 7:21 pm, wrote:
On Aug 25, 3:56 pm, "Whitewolf "
wrote:

Careful, Ray. That Higgins fellow sounds like a tree hugging liberal to
me. He probably grows flowers rather than cabbage & potatoes. God'll
sort out all those quare folks in the end...

Quit winding me up... I know Des is straight...

How would you like it if people started discussing your sexuality.
Not exactly doing your bit to keep the white man going are you. Given
the defective genes involved its no bad thing.

careful of the cross posting
--
What lies behind us and what lies before us
are small matters compared to what lies within us.

I was about to reply Val and say leave our Des alone, he belongs to
us. Then I thought this is exactly what trolls want, so I thought I
had pressed discard, I didn't!!!

Good move :-) As a poster on both, I can tell you Des is valued all
over. I just won't say it too loud, in case he gets all big headed on
us.

Cat(h)

Time for me to stop posting under my real name methinks; it is sad but
inevitable; Thanks for the nice words;

Des

Old 28-08-2008, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 28, 1:20*pm, Des Higgins wrote:
On Aug 26, 2:39 pm, Judith in France
wrote:

On Aug 26, 1:11 pm, "Cat(h)" wrote:

On Aug 26, 10:56 am, Judith in France
wrote:

On Aug 26, 9:08 am, AriesVal
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:53:43 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:
On Aug 25, 7:21 pm, wrote:
On Aug 25, 3:56 pm, "Whitewolf "
wrote:

[...]

Cat(h)- Hide quoted text -

Hi Cath, I've known Des for a number of years, and I wish there were
more like him, I didn't know he posted to an Irish group and as I am
Irish ... maybe I will take a look in there but if there are
troublemakers, maybe not, we have enough of them around usenet as it
is.

Judith

Judith

Hiya Judith: *thanks for the vote of confidence; this all came from me
"discussing" gay rights on another newsgroup and I was "followed"
here. *It could have been worse. *(and I am straight but that is
neither here nor there).

Des- Hide quoted text -

Hello sweetie, I don't give a whatsit whether you are gay or not or
whether you are black, green or blue, Protestant or Catholic, I just
like you as Des Higgins :-) I too have had a problem with some
following me from one newsgroup to another, I take it as a compliment
that I am so important to their deprived lives that they have to
follow me LOL, you won't catch me following them anywhere into
groups!!!

Judith
Old 28-08-2008, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Des Higgins wrote:
[...snip...]

Time for me to stop posting under my real name methinks; it is sad but
inevitable; Thanks for the nice words;

Des

We look forward to the return of ...
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
*Bertha* *Bilofsky* :-)

Old 28-08-2008, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 28, 5:03*pm, "R.A.Omond" wrote:
Des Higgins wrote:
[...snip...]

Time for me to stop posting under my real name methinks; it is sad but
inevitable; Thanks for the nice words;

Des

We look forward to the return of ...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
*Bertha* *Bilofsky* :-)

stop!! There is a story behind that I better mail you about in
private (truth is stranger etc.).
In the meantime, seeing as this is a gardening newsgroup, how are yer
onions?
I planted a batch of sets on your advice and they have done well. I
will lift them shortly.

Old 29-08-2008, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 28, 7:57*pm, Des Higgins wrote:
On Aug 28, 5:03*pm, "R.A.Omond" wrote:

Des Higgins wrote:
[...snip...]

Time for me to stop posting under my real name methinks; it is sad but
inevitable; Thanks for the nice words;

Des

We look forward to the return of ...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
*Bertha* *Bilofsky* :-)

stop!! *There is a story behind that I better mail you about in
private (truth is stranger etc.).
In the meantime, seeing as this is a gardening newsgroup, how are yer
onions?
I planted a batch of sets on your advice and they have done well. *I
will lift them shortly.- Hide quoted text -

You mean to say you've actually been *able* to get into your cabbage
patch without sinking?
Joke apart, I can barely get into mine, not so much because of the
heavy wet ground, but because the consistent rain and relative heat of
August has caused a MASSIVE spurt of growth. Every plant has shot up
by at least 30 cm in every direction, I swear! The best evidence are
the sunflowers, although my Gunnera is now rattling my bedroom window
and howling "Feed meeee!!".
Anyhoo, I'm going to have to take a machete to the whole thing soon.
Harvesting the runner beans practically requires organising a tropical
rainforest expedition.

Cat(h)

Old 29-08-2008, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Jungle warfare; crazy weather

On Aug 29, 10:31 am, "Cat(h)" wrote:
On Aug 28, 7:57 pm, Des Higgins wrote:

On Aug 28, 5:03 pm, "R.A.Omond" wrote:

Des Higgins wrote:
[...snip...]

[...]

Same happened us. Our garden disappeared under a wall of growth. We
were away for a few weeks and then busy and we had 6 weeks of growth
(weeds in beds; wildflower meadow gone mad; shrubs turned into trees;
It took my wife 2 days to clear; I have some pumpkin plants, two of
which are thriving and which ended up literally taking up 2-3 sq
metres each.

On the other hand, my tomatoes in greenhouse have been really really
late to ripen. The sungold (orange cherry type) were a month late and
my beefsteak ones are only just barely ripening now.

Old 29-08-2008, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 29, 11:02*am, Des Higgins wrote:
On Aug 29, 10:31 am, "Cat(h)" wrote:

On Aug 28, 7:57 pm, Des Higgins wrote:

On Aug 28, 5:03 pm, "R.A.Omond" wrote:

Des Higgins wrote:
[...snip...]

[...]

my beefsteak ones are only just barely ripening now.- Hide quoted text -

I'm glad to hear that about your tomatoes Des, I was beginning to
think I was the only one in that situation. The only tomatoes that
are ready to eat are the tiny cherry ones, Tom Thumb?

Judith
Old 29-08-2008, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 29, 10:31 am, "Cat(h)" wrote:

On Aug 28, 7:57 pm, Des Higgins wrote:

On Aug 28, 5:03 pm, "R.A.Omond" wrote:

Des Higgins wrote:
[...snip...]

[...]

I will probably still end up needing a recipe for green tomato pickle
or chutney. Out of maybe 30 beefsteak tomatoes, only one has ripened
and 2 are now looking orange tinged.
Old 29-08-2008, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 05:17:13 -0700 (PDT), Des Higgins
wrote and included this (or some of this):

On the other hand, my tomatoes in greenhouse have been really really
late to ripen. The sungold (orange cherry type) were a month late and
my beefsteak ones are only just barely ripening now.- Hide quoted text -

I'm glad to hear that about your tomatoes Des, I was beginning to
think I was the only one in that situation. The only tomatoes that
are ready to eat are the tiny cherry ones, Tom Thumb?

Judith

I will probably still end up needing a recipe for green tomato pickle
or chutney. Out of maybe 30 beefsteak tomatoes, only one has ripened
and 2 are now looking orange tinged.

I've been picking loads of ripe tomatoes for 6 weeks in my unheated
greenhouse (in South Wales) All-sorts, including beef steak types
and conventional.

Having kept the neighbours and family supplied, I'm now skinning and
chopping tomatoes for the freezer for future use in chilis etc.

Similarly with cucumbers. Three plants have yielded about 4-5
cucumbers per day for the last month.

Cucumber and watercress soup is delicious.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 29-08-2008, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 29, 10:31 am, "Cat(h)" wrote:

On Aug 28, 7:57 pm, Des Higgins wrote:

On Aug 28, 5:03 pm, "R.A.Omond" wrote:

Des Higgins wrote:
[...snip...]

[...]

and 2 are now looking orange tinged.- Hide quoted text -

I have that! At last something I know, I will type it in later, it is
called in our house "Mummy's Favourite Pickle". I still make it and
take jars to the girls when I go to the UK.

Judith

Old 29-08-2008, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 29, 1:51*pm, AriesVal
wrote:
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 05:17:13 -0700 (PDT), Des Higgins wrote:
On Aug 29, 11:14 am, Judith in France
wrote:
[72 quoted lines suppressed]

I will probably still end up needing a recipe for green tomato pickle
or chutney. *Out of maybe 30 beefsteak tomatoes, only one has ripened
and 2 are now looking orange tinged.

I may need that too, plus a tried and tested much loved recipe for runner
bean chutney - please - anyone
--
Champion the right to be yourself
Dare to be different.

Val, my late Step-Mother gave me a book on pickles, I know I saw on in
ther, I will look later for you. Do you have a recipe for quick fish
soup like the Provence one but quick? Sacha sent me one which I will
definitely try but I would like others as I love fish soup?

Judith
Old 29-08-2008, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 29, 1:51*pm, AriesVal
wrote:
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 05:17:13 -0700 (PDT), Des Higgins wrote:
On Aug 29, 11:14 am, Judith in France
wrote:
[72 quoted lines suppressed]

I will probably still end up needing a recipe for green tomato pickle
or chutney. *Out of maybe 30 beefsteak tomatoes, only one has ripened
and 2 are now looking orange tinged.

I may need that too, plus a tried and tested much loved recipe for runner
bean chutney - please - anyone
--
Champion the right to be yourself
Dare to be different.
Live your own life and follow your own star.
Wilfred A. Petersonhttp://valerie.aries.googlepages.com/ariesval

Here you are Val, this is the one that I like:

MUM'S GREEN TOMATO CHUTNEY/PICKLE

2 lbs Green tomatoes skinned
8 ozs of apples after peeling and coring
3 md Sweet red peppers Optional
8ozs Onions finechopped or grated
half teaspoon Salt
half " of pepper
1 teaspoon of pickling spice
half a teaspoon Ground cinnamon
half teaspoon of Ground cloves
8 ozs sugar
half pint of vinegar

Put onion in a saucepan and half the vinegar, simmer until nearly
soft.

Add Cored and chopped apples, add chopped toms and spices (tied in a
little muslin bag), salt & just enough vinegar to stop mixture
sticking.

Cook gently until everything is soft, stirring frequently.
Add rest of vinegar and stir in sugar, boil until pickle is thick,
Val, remember it will get thicker when it cools.

Remove spices, pour into hot jars and seal.

Voila. There is another variation of the above but with root ginger
and sultanas and very sour apples. I will find the green bean one I
am sure it is here somewhere and I will post it later

Judith
Old 29-08-2008, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 29, 3:40 pm, Sacha wrote:
On 29/8/08 11:14, in article
, "Judith in

France" wrote:
On Aug 29, 11:02 am, Des Higgins wrote:

snip

On the other hand, my tomatoes in greenhouse have been really really
late to ripen. The sungold (orange cherry type) were a month late and
my beefsteak ones are only just barely ripening now.- Hide quoted text -

I'm glad to hear that about your tomatoes Des, I was beginning to
think I was the only one in that situation. The only tomatoes that
are ready to eat are the tiny cherry ones, Tom Thumb?

Judith

This is bizarre. Ours are beginning to come to an end - what a strangely
convoluted sentence that is! But they're in a greenhouse which is warmer
than the others.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Our weather for the past 3 days has been warmer than it has been for
almost the entire Summer.
Old 29-08-2008, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 29, 4:02*pm, AriesVal
wrote:
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:23:27 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France wrote:
On Aug 29, 1:51*pm, AriesVal
wrote:
[16 quoted lines suppressed]

Val, my late Step-Mother gave me a book on pickles, I know I saw on in
ther, I will look later for you. *Do you have a recipe for quick fish
soup like the Provence one but quick? *Sacha sent me one which I will
definitely try but I would like others as I love fish soup?

Judith

there's one here Judith but not a recipe I've tried myself. *I only ever
made my fish soups from ingredients Tony brought back from fishing trips.
But I always made a very strong fish stock from crab shell, fish skin/bones
to *simmer* the fish in - the stock is very important for the end flavour..
I also served a home made tomatoey aioli with it which could be added at
table lightly stirred into the dish. *Yummy.

http://freakytrigger.co.uk/ft/2006/0...asy-fish-soup/

--
Don't let a little dispute injure a great friendship.http://ariesval.co.uk/val/

Thanks Val, I think I would prefer Tony's fish soup!!! Tomato aioli,
I am starving and tonight we do have fish, trout.

Judith