Old 06-09-2008, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grrr...

I hate people who over water plants!

I have been going to visit a lady 3 times a week for what seems like a
hundred years, and in that time, her houseplants have been given the most
appalling treatment. They get water whether they need it or not, they are
never re potted, the top of the soil is caked with limescale......or what
looks like it.... gross, and last week I could hold my peace no longer, When
I had to hold one plant (not in pot, in bowl with no drainage over the sink
and squeeze it out..... it was illiberally floating..I said enough is
enough, I am going to get some potting compost next week and try to give
your plants some tlc. and leave the watering to me!

Over the years, not many have rotted away, surprisingly, but they have just
never thrived. what should be a glorious plant, is a stunted wreck. Now
some advice, when I get my hands on these plants, (they are all foliage,
assorted nothing spectacular) what should I do with the ones that have been
....well watered? Should I withhold water for a while,or what. Some of the
plants are Christmas cactus..... shudder.... They would have all died
had it not been for my intervention over the years!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sheila wrote:
[...]

Sounds like SWMBO. Once a week whether they need it or not. Following
my nose I have found plants with root balls floating in water -
amazingly a little drying out and they survive. We now have two classes
of indoor plants - hers and mine. Mine are watered when the show signs
of drying out and I like to think that they grow better than hers.

PS she doesnt read this NG or........

Malcolm (a long time lurker)
Old 06-09-2008, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

On 06/09/08 18:02, Sheila wrote:
I hate people who over water plants!

That is not good. Don't hate anyone.

I have been going to visit a lady 3 times a week for what seems like a
hundred years, and in that time, her houseplants have been given the most
appalling treatment. They get water whether they need it or not, they are
never re potted, the top of the soil is caked with limescale......or what
looks like it.... gross, and last week I could hold my peace no longer, When
I had to hold one plant (not in pot, in bowl with no drainage over the sink
and squeeze it out..... it was illiberally floating..I said enough is
enough, I am going to get some potting compost next week and try to give
your plants some tlc. and leave the watering to me!

If you visit 3 times a week, how come the plants are so mistreated?

Ed

Old 06-09-2008, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
et...
On 06/09/08 18:02, Sheila wrote:
I hate people who over water plants!

That is not good. Don't hate anyone.

I have been going to visit a lady 3 times a week for what seems like a
hundred years, and in that time, her houseplants have been given the most
appalling treatment. They get water whether they need it or not, they
are never re potted, the top of the soil is caked with limescale......or
what looks like it.... gross, and last week I could hold my peace no
longer, When I had to hold one plant (not in pot, in bowl with no
drainage over the sink and squeeze it out..... it was illiberally
floating..I said enough is enough, I am going to get some potting compost
next week and try to give your plants some tlc. and leave the watering
to me!

If you visit 3 times a week, how come the plants are so mistreated?

Ed

every time I go I have to drain the water out!

Old 06-09-2008, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/09/08 18:02, Sheila wrote:
[...]

I think you're on a hiding to nothing, to be honest. I had someone who
helped me in the house twice a week for nearly 18 years. I do not
exaggerate when I say we all thought the world of her but could I stop her
watering my indoor plants? Unseen by me and in my absence she'd water them
and leave them standing in half an inch of water *every single time*. I
lost track of how many I had to chuck out unless I went round every week,
twice a week, checking their pots. My absence on holiday for a week or two
was Plant Cemetery. It didn't matter what I said or how often I said it, I
could not persuade her that dryish compost is Good or that, when watering,
standing things in the sink so they can drain right out is even Better.
She truly believed I was cruel to my plants because I didn't water them
daily - all evidence to the contrary. She thought I was mis-treating them
if I didn't water them every day and could not believe that all she had to
do was check the compost for dampness and POUR THE WATER OUT OF THE
CONTAINER! We parted only when I moved to England and she remained
unconvinced from Day One to Day one thousand and whatever! She still
thought I was a house-plant abuser! My advice? Let all her houseplants
die. Then maybe she'll listen. But I bet she won't.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-09-2008, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

On 06/09/08 18:02, Sheila wrote:
[...]

I won't give you odds

Malcolm
Old 06-09-2008, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/9/08 23:13, in article , "Malcolm"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

On 06/09/08 18:02, Sheila wrote:
[...]

Damn right you won't. I'm right and I know it. I've fought this battle
several times since then and I haven't won it once. People who over-water
just do it because they have to. I had to throw one out this week! I think
we need a House Plants Anonymous, actually!

Old 07-09-2008, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 23:32:33 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

every time I go I have to drain the water out!

Damn right you won't. I'm right and I know it. I've fought this battle
several times since then and I haven't won it once. People who over-water
just do it because they have to. I had to throw one out this week! I think
we need a House Plants Anonymous, actually!

Just replace them with bog plants that love having their feet in
water. Much the simpler solution.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 07-09-2008, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Damn right you won't. I'm right and I know it. I've fought this battle
| several times since then and I haven't won it once. People who over-water
| just do it because they have to. I had to throw one out this week! I think
| we need a House Plants Anonymous, actually!

Well, yes, but I have killed houseplants by accidental overwatering.
If you work during the day, and it's a hot sunny day (us oldsters
can remember such things), you need to water well in the morning.
If it then turns overcast and cold and stays that way, sensitive
plants can die.

There are plants that can't stand either drying out or being waterlogged.
Many seedlings are like that.

I have reduced this by growing all such plants in my own (more-or-less
John Innes) compost, but it still happens.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/9/08 19:53, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| Damn right you won't. I'm right and I know it. I've fought this battle
| several times since then and I haven't won it once. People who over-water
| just do it because they have to. I had to throw one out this week! I think
| we need a House Plants Anonymous, actually!

Well, yes, but I have killed houseplants by accidental overwatering.
If you work during the day, and it's a hot sunny day (us oldsters
can remember such things), you need to water well in the morning.
If it then turns overcast and cold and stays that way, sensitive
plants can die.

There are plants that can't stand either drying out or being waterlogged.
Many seedlings are like that.

I have reduced this by growing all such plants in my own (more-or-less
John Innes) compost, but it still happens.

I've solved this by watering plants overnight and leaving them in the sink,
putting them back in their respective places in the morning. I don't have
anything fancy so it probably works for mine. Hot sunny day.......hot sunny
day......it'll come to me in a moment......

Old 07-09-2008, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

I've solved this by watering plants overnight and leaving them in the sink,
putting them back in their respective places in the morning. I don't have
anything fancy so it probably works for mine. Hot sunny day.......hot sunny
day......it'll come to me in a moment......

I doubt it very much...

I'm planting gopher trees innit.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 08-09-2008, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/9/08 23:13, in article ,
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

I've solved this by watering plants overnight and leaving them in the sink,
putting them back in their respective places in the morning. I don't have
anything fancy so it probably works for mine. Hot sunny day.......hot sunny
day......it'll come to me in a moment......

I doubt it very much...

I'm planting gopher trees innit.

To be fair, we had a beautiful sunny day here for most of the day. A couple
of groups of cyclists turned up to have cream teas and one of them mended
his punctured tyre on the lawn. I cannot describe the pleasure of hearing
people sitting in the garden, relaxed, in the sun, enjoying themselves. I
gave some children handfuls of fish pellets and they chortled and shrieked
and damn nearly fell in with sheer delight of getting the fish to come up to
feed - watchful parents and I prevented a soaking! Father wants a pond,
Mother is more cautious so we had a chat about that.
Others just wandered in and wandered around, filling their trolleys in happy
browsing tours that went on for some time. It's just amazing what a
difference a drop of sunshine makes! And everyone was *smiling*!

Old 08-09-2008, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

To be fair, we had a beautiful sunny day here for most of the day. A couple
of groups of cyclists turned up to have cream teas and one of them mended
his punctured tyre on the lawn. I cannot describe the pleasure of hearing
people sitting in the garden, relaxed, in the sun, enjoying themselves. I
gave some children handfuls of fish pellets and they chortled and shrieked
and damn nearly fell in with sheer delight of getting the fish to come up to
feed - watchful parents and I prevented a soaking! Father wants a pond,
Mother is more cautious so we had a chat about that.
Others just wandered in and wandered around, filling their trolleys in happy
browsing tours that went on for some time. It's just amazing what a
difference a drop of sunshine makes! And everyone was *smiling*!

Introduced two sets of neighbours.

David keeps koi, newts, salamanders, toads of many varieties, frogs
ditto, a brace of baby tortoises, and Jackie (Jaqui?) has a pair of
ponies, (Seabright) bantams, hens, and a pair of performing (sort-of
show-jumping) dogs.

Mike, Anna and 3-4-y-o Luca(??? Lucar?) were delighted, most especially
the target...

Target carried fome a bright yellow courgette which *MAY* have got back
in one piece.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 09-09-2008, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from jane contains these words:

If the plants are on a window ledge or such, perhaps you could
put them on a long plastic tray like you can get for window
boxes. Then put a strip of capillary matting along it, put the
plants on that, and then put the last piece of matting in a small
pot of water (placed at the very end of the tray). Tell her to
water just *that* pot and the plants will take what they need via
the matting. And she can top up the water pot all she likes as
long as it doesn't overflow!

And arrange a small drainage hole in the trough so that any overwatering
results in a minor flood?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 11-09-2008, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from jane contains these words:

If the plants are on a window ledge or such, perhaps you could
put them on a long plastic tray like you can get for window
boxes. Then put a strip of capillary matting along it, put the
plants on that, and then put the last piece of matting in a small
pot of water (placed at the very end of the tray). Tell her to
water just *that* pot and the plants will take what they need via
the matting. And she can top up the water pot all she likes as
long as it doesn't overflow!

And arrange a small drainage hole in the trough so that any overwatering
results in a minor flood?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Well, the deed has been done, I have re potted most of her plants, she
wouldn't let me touch the ones in wicker baskets with handles.....I actually
managed to rescue a few little ones from them, and she now has strict
instructions not to water them until the compost has dried out, and she must
use a skewer to see if they are dry! She is just a creature of habit,
although saying that, she has a rubber plant in the front room, in full sun,
that she never waters, because she doesn't like it..... ( I actually bought
it for her, think she has forgotten, I re potted that last year, and dunked
it in water, it took up a whole washing up bowl of water..... it even
croaked thank you to me.....

GRRR @#$%& snotbottom Gardening 0 02-05-2008 09:58 PM
GRRR @#$%& MajorOz Gardening 4 02-05-2008 06:17 AM
Grrr! Carrot, coriander seedlings munched! John Ladasky Edible Gardening 6 27-11-2006 05:30 PM
Grrr K Barrett Orchids 13 16-11-2003 12:12 AM
Grrr & Brrr! Wendy Orchids 0 15-11-2003 07:02 PM