Old 30-11-2008, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How to get onto urg

I then set up an acoount in Thunderbird (free), downloaded their group
list, found uk.rec.gardening and posted this reply. Took about 10-15
minutes.
If you don't have Thunderbird (a free email and news client), you could
download it, or alternatively set up Outlook Express (which I suspect
already lurks on your machine) but I have no information on how to use
that program.

Good to see someone wanting to get away from the thieving webpages -
good luck.

I have Thunderbird on my EEE PC (Version 2.0.0.9).

I have tried to set up a news account with user iD and password but I can't
seem to find the settings for user authentication.

I have used Pan on Ubuntu and Fedora and am using Knode here and both can be
configured to supply a username and password to the news server.

I may have an unusual version of Thunderbird here (haven't checked on other
OS variants) but the option isn't obvious.

Any tips very welcome.

Cheers

Dave R
Old 30-11-2008, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from David W EEE Roberts contains these words:

I have Thunderbird on my EEE PC (Version 2.0.0.9).

I have tried to set up a news account with user iD and password but I can't
seem to find the settings for user authentication.

I have used Pan on Ubuntu and Fedora and am using Knode here and both can be
configured to supply a username and password to the news server.

I may have an unusual version of Thunderbird here (haven't checked on other
OS variants) but the option isn't obvious.

Any tips very welcome.

If no-one comes up with the answer, I'll repost your question on a Linux
Usergroup mailing list - or perhaps you might like to subscribe (free)
on

http://www.alug.org.uk/

Let us know which?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 30-11-2008, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 17:20:16 -0000, "alan.holmes"
wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote in message

snip

And there's me thinking I had put a block on your posts!

Please don't quote him I and most others have successfully filtered him.
--

Martin

I have searched the entire usenet, and 'Mike' is the only person using the
phrase "Kindest possible regards". I wonder what he is trying to convey by
this moniker? I find it very patronising, but that's perhaps intentional?
Old 30-11-2008, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:06:07 +0000, David W EEE Roberts
wrote:

I have Thunderbird on my EEE PC (Version 2.0.0.9).

I have tried to set up a news account with user iD and password but I
can't seem to find the settings for user authentication.

I have used Pan on Ubuntu and Fedora and am using Knode here and both can
be configured to supply a username and password to the news server.

I may have an unusual version of Thunderbird here (haven't checked on
other OS variants) but the option isn't obvious.

Any tips very welcome.

I have Thunderbird running on Open Suse Linux. The settings are the same
as I have on Thunderbird running with WinXP.

Outstanding!

I fel happy for you, but perhaps you could tell me if either version will
accept a user name and pasword for a newsgroup, and if so where the
settings are located within the overall setings?

Old 30-11-2008, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote in message

snip

And there's me thinking I had put a block on your posts!

Please don't quote him I and most others have successfully filtered
him. --

Martin

I have searched the entire usenet, and 'Mike' is the only person
using the phrase "Kindest possible regards". I wonder what he is
trying to convey by this moniker? I find it very patronising, but
that's perhaps intentional?

You have a problem with people being polite?
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 30-11-2008, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from David W EEE Roberts contains these words:

I fel happy for you, but perhaps you could tell me if either version will
accept a user name and pasword for a newsgroup, and if so where the
settings are located within the overall setings?

Not sure what you mean - you just down and upload new posts to
newsgroups - there's no username or password needed.

However, that might be the way independent news *SERVERS* operate.

I@ve got an Eee too, but haven't set up a newsreader on that, yet - this
is a rather heavy full tower - on wheels, but not mobile thereby!

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 30-11-2008, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from David W EEE Roberts contains these words:

I fel happy for you, but perhaps you could tell me if either version will
accept a user name and pasword for a newsgroup, and if so where the
settings are located within the overall setings?

Not sure what you mean - you just down and upload new posts to
newsgroups - there's no username or password needed.

However, that might be the way independent news *SERVERS* operate.

It does.

If you are using your ISP's news server then you don't normally need to
authenticate as it knows who you are.

If you are using a third party new server then you need to authenticate
(otherwise anyone could just log on and post - spammer heaven )

Does it maybe just ask for the username password combo when you connect
to the server?
--
Chris French

Old 30-11-2008, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from chris French contains these words:
In message ,
Rusty_Hinge writes

But even now, IE isn't properly compliant.

IE7 was pretty good, IE8 even more so. Ironically the problem MS are
having with IE8 relate to web pages providing pages tweaked for the
older versions, they are having to put code into IE8 to deal with them.

Firefox and Opera seem to cope.

Well, yes, the ironic thing is that IE8 would cope fine if the site
served them the same pages as FF and Opera.

But what happens is the sites sniffs the browser, sees it's IE and so
presents a version of the page tweaked for older versions of IE. So
they've had to include code to deal with this. A bit of petard hoisting
going on :-)

Try this:

'Construct' a HTML page using Frontpage.

Yes, I know FP produces crap HTML.
--
Chris French

Old 30-11-2008, 11:26 PM
Registered User

Bloody Hell, I seem to have created a monster. I don't understand 90% of the techie stuff on this thread. What I do know is that I have still not read anything to convince me that GB is the Devil incarnate. It's a bit like a political debate on a chat forum - opinions ranging from the ultra-purist to the more laissez-faire/pragmatic. Interestingly, the most vehement proponents of the former are both (apparently) women.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Pete C writes

You have a problem with people being polite?

Politeness is not merely a form of words. Politeness comes from a
respect for other people.
--
Kay

Old 01-12-2008, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Conroy contains
these words:

Bloody Hell, I seem to have created a monster. I don't understand 90%
of the techie stuff on this thread. What I do know is that I have
still not read anything to convince me that GB is the Devil incarnate.
It's a bit like a political debate on a chat forum - opinions ranging
from the ultra-purist to the more laissez-faire/pragmatic.
Interestingly, the most vehement proponents of the former are both
(apparently) women.

ISTR there was an issue of GB weeding-out some URG posts - though this
doesn't seem to be happening ATM AFAICT.

Anyway, I don't expect anyone's going to KF Gardenbanterers innit. If
you're happy with GB, 'nuff said.

However, there are thousands and thousands of newsgroups to choose from
on Usenet, some *VERY* 'noisy', and others only prodded into life by the
odd post to see if it's still living. There are several groups I collect
which haven't had a post this year - however, when there is one, it's
either worth following up, or some Finn posting - er - someFinn.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 01-12-2008, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 1, 10:09 am, K wrote:
Pete C writes

You have a problem with people being polite?

Politeness is not merely a form of words. Politeness comes from a
respect for other people.
--
Kay

Pete, as you know Kay, is a long time poster, I have always found him
having enormous respect for posters and also patience with some, such
as me, who show their ignorance, as I do, many times over! He still
puts me right, but always in a very gentle way :-) Now off topic I
have just arrived home to snow! I forgot to bring in my Oleander, the
one in the huge pot that I posted on last year, I only hope it will be
o.k. any advice Kay?

Judith
Old 01-12-2008, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Judith in France writes
On Dec 1, 10:09 am, K wrote:
Pete C writes

You have a problem with people being polite?

Politeness is not merely a form of words. Politeness comes from a
respect for other people.
--

Pete, as you know Kay, is a long time poster, I have always found him
having enormous respect for posters

I was not suggesting *Pete* did not have respect for other posters.

--
Kay
Old 01-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Registered User

Right, I've had a go at following instructions from various posters about accessing urg via a newsgroup. Several of the newsgroups don't seem to be available to me on aol. I did succeed via Googlegroups, but then got a message saying,
" Messages posted to this group will make your email address available to anyone on the Internet". No thanks! Plus, I didn't like the format I saw and the posts were not in chronological order.
Unless someone gives me some very simple, non-techie instructions to a newsgroup that doesn't have the above problems, I'll continue to view and write on urg via GB and hope that the die-hard urglers don't ostracise me.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Conroy contains
these words:

Right, I've had a go at following instructions from various posters
about accessing urg via a newsgroup. Several of the newsgroups don't
seem to be available to me on aol. I did succeed via Googlegroups, but
then got a message saying,
" Messages posted to this group will make your email address available
to anyone on the Internet". No thanks!

First, you assign yourself an impossible address - don't, whatever you
do, choose one which either exists, or might do in the future.

Something like o

If you choose a funny-sounding name you might very well hit someone's
domain name, and land them with lots of spam they don't want...

Ask, and I'll check for you...

Plus, I didn't like the format
I saw and the posts were not in chronological order.
Unless someone gives me some very simple, non-techie instructions to a
newsgroup that doesn't have the above problems, I'll continue to view
and write on urg via GB and hope that the die-hard urglers don't
ostracise me.

Would we?

I'll try to get answers for you - though there must be some here who use
the newsreader and method you want to, and can talk you through it.

You can't choose my newsreader because it's ISP-specific, and you can't
access out news-server because it's restricted to Zetnuts and those
whose ISPs have been taken over by Zetnet in the past.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig