Old 01-12-2008, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How to get onto urg

On Dec 1, 7:17 pm, K wrote:
Judith in France writes

On Dec 1, 10:09 am, K wrote:
Pete C writes

You have a problem with people being polite?

Politeness is not merely a form of words. Politeness comes from a
respect for other people.
--

Pete, as you know Kay, is a long time poster, I have always found him
having enormous respect for posters

I was not suggesting *Pete* did not have respect for other posters.

--
Kay

Duh !!! I know that. :-)

Judith
Old 01-12-2008, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

There are several groups I collect
which haven't had a post this year - however, when there is one, it's
either worth following up, or some Finn posting - er - someFinn.

Can't say I've noticed our Finn this year, either - now that you
mention him...

Either you're thinking of a benign one (Hetta) or you collect the wrong
(right?) groups.

Want any forwarded?

slinks off

--
Rusty
Men love women, women love children, children love hamsters.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:

Oh, is Guy still in the shed?

Yes - seems to have been banished there.

I haven't seen anything in the exiles group for - well - years.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 02-12-2008, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
The message
from Janet Conroy contains
these words:

Right, I've had a go at following instructions from various posters
about accessing urg via a newsgroup. Several of the newsgroups don't
seem to be available to me on aol. I did succeed via Googlegroups, but
then got a message saying,
" Messages posted to this group will make your email address available
to anyone on the Internet". No thanks!

First, you assign yourself an impossible address - don't, whatever you
do, choose one which either exists, or might do in the future.

Something like

If you choose a funny-sounding name you might very well hit someone's
domain name, and land them with lots of spam they don't want...

Ask, and I'll check for you...

Plus, I didn't like the format
I saw and the posts were not in chronological order.
Unless someone gives me some very simple, non-techie instructions to a
newsgroup that doesn't have the above problems, I'll continue to view
and write on urg via GB and hope that the die-hard urglers don't
ostracise me.

Would we?

I'll try to get answers for you - though there must be some here who use
the newsreader and method you want to, and can talk you through it.

You can't choose my newsreader because it's ISP-specific, and you can't
access out news-server because it's restricted to Zetnuts and those
whose ISPs have been taken over by Zetnet in the past.

I pay for and use News.Individual and downloaded Micro Planet's free news
reader but Janet may be reluctant to pay 10 Euros a year for something
she gets free with garden banter
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 02-12-2008, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 19:28:30 +0000, Janet Conroy wrote
(in article ):

Right, I've had a go at following instructions from various posters
about accessing urg via a newsgroup. Several of the newsgroups don't
seem to be available to me on aol. I did succeed via Googlegroups, but
then got a message saying,
" Messages posted to this group will make your email address available
to anyone on the Internet". No thanks! Plus, I didn't like the format
I saw and the posts were not in chronological order.
Unless someone gives me some very simple, non-techie instructions to a
newsgroup that doesn't have the above problems, I'll continue to view
and write on urg via GB and hope that the die-hard urglers don't
ostracise me.

Hi Janet

Forget AOL for a moment; you can merely use them for your internet
connection. You need two things: a news server (which provides the feed for
your chosen news groups), and a stand-alone news reader.

Teranews offer a free news server: http://www.teranews.com/. I have never
used it so can't /recommend/ it from personal experience, but have seen it
highly spoken of. Personally, I also use NIN and pay the 10 Euros a year
because I use newsgroups a lot (dislike forum based ones).

As for news readers, I used to use Forte's Free Agent when I was on Windows
http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php and it was so good I eventually
upgraded and paid - but the free version is fine.

I suggest you download these two free programs and play around and see if you
like them. You should mask your email address by adding "invalid" or some
such to it, and I use one from hushmail which I don't use anywhere else - so
I can ditch it if it gets compromised, and I am not showing my "real" email
address anywhere. (I learnt that lesson the hard way when I first posted to
a newsgroup many years ago!)

I think one of the problems some people have (as I discovered when I helped a
friend on AOL) is that AOL provides one front end for all your web-based
activities. This is meant to make it easier for the user, but it means they
do not realise they have options which are not available through AOL. I
discovered this when I asked what browser the friend was using, who said
"AOL"!

If you want to email me privately about any of the above, to keep this off
urg, then my email address will work, but let me know you are doing so since
I don't check it very often.

HTH

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Posted through uk.rec.gardening

Old 02-12-2008, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 2, 11:46 am, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 03:12:27 -0800 (PST), Judith in France

wrote:
On Dec 1, 11:22 pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 10:44:18 -0800 (PST), Judith in France

wrote:
On Dec 1, 10:09 am, K wrote:
Pete C writes

You have a problem with people being polite?

Politeness is not merely a form of words. Politeness comes from a
respect for other people.
--
Kay

Pete, as you know Kay, is a long time poster, I have always found him
having enormous respect for posters and also patience with some, such
as me, who show their ignorance, as I do, many times over! He still
puts me right, but always in a very gentle way :-) Now off topic I
have just arrived home to snow! I forgot to bring in my Oleander, the
one in the huge pot that I posted on last year, I only hope it will be
o.k. any advice Kay?

You missed the context, Judith.

We have geraniums that have survived several hard frosts and being buried in
snow twice in one week. Snow drops are in flower, but not in our garden yet.
--

Martin

I frequently miss the context Martin but Kay is a friend and will make
allowances for that :-)

The original post was from forever cruising Mike. You can probably guess the
rest.
--

Martin

'Nuff said, thanks for the pointer.

Judith
Old 02-12-2008, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
..

wrote:
On Dec 1, 10:09 am, K wrote:
[...]

If you are sure of your facts, might I respectfully suggest that you post
the original, complete with headers?

With kindest possible regards

Mike

Old 02-12-2008, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:

Oh, is Guy still in the shed?

Yes - seems to have been banished there.

I haven't seen anything in the exiles group for - well - years.

....because the worst PITAs no longer post in .local? ;-)

The exiles I meant were ex-Zetnuts, and a couple of others who dropped
in for a cuppa.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 02-12-2008, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

I pay for and use News.Individual and downloaded Micro Planet's free news
reader but Janet may be reluctant to pay 10 Euros a year for something
she gets free with garden banter

There are good free news servers - I've saved their names somewhere, but
can't find them ATM

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 02-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Registered User

Thanks to Sally and Rusty H. Sally, I can't email you because GB doesn't display email addresses (!) I'll try again with an imaginary email address and see what happens and also have a go at following Sally's instructions.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from "Christina Websell" contains
these words:
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from Martin contains these words:

Some news servers react quickly to spam attacks by deleting spam.
news.individual.net is one.

I've not heard any bad reports on NIN.

I started to use NIN when my ISP dumped Usenet a while ago. I was going
change ISP's but it seems most UK ISP's were about to do the same. I am
very impressed with NIN, it's worth every penny of the 10 euros/year it
costs and is easily paid for via BT, it's just added to my phone bill
once a
year.
They are brilliant at filtering out offensive posts or flooding and if
you
have any problem you just email them and get a reply very quickly from a
*real* person. I once mailed them about malicious flooding on one my
Usenet
groups, I had a reply within 10 minutes thanking me for drawing it to
their
attention and assuring me they would have noticed it themselves shortly.
I cannot fault news.individual.net in any way.
Binaries not allowed though and continual cross-posting will get you
struck
off!

I don't think I could live with that last condition - when I post to
urmc I often crosspost to urm - and join threads so crosspostedby
others.

Otherwise I seldom crosspost.

NIN do not mind you crossposting to a couple of related groups, nor would
you get struck off (ever) for responding to a multi-crossposted post as you
didn't originate it. They just don't want to host spammers is all, which
cannot be A Bad Thing.
I have nothing but praise for them and at around 6 quid a year it has to be
a bargain for those of us whose original ISP's have dumped Usenet.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 23:11:45 +0000, Martin wrote
(in article ):

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 17:45:47 GMT, Rusty_Hinge

wrote:

The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

I pay for and use News.Individual and downloaded Micro Planet's free news
reader but Janet may be reluctant to pay 10 Euros a year for something
she gets free with garden banter

There are good free news servers - I've saved their names somewhere, but
can't find them ATM

Outlook Express
Gravity
Xnews
Old versions of Agent
40tude
Thunderbird is probably the easiest to use.

Forte Agent 4.2 is USD 29

Martin, aren't those news /readers/ rather than news /servers/? Don't want
to confuse the OP more than she already is!

Old 03-12-2008, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:

There are good free news servers - I've saved their names somewhere, but
can't find them ATM

Outlook Express
Gravity
Xnews
Old versions of Agent
40tude
Thunderbird is probably the easiest to use.

Forte Agent 4.2 is USD 29

Those are newsreaders, not news servers.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 03-12-2008, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Anne Welsh Jackson contains these words:

Some of the biggest PITA are still "current" though they no longer
post in .local, was what _I_ meant. I'm sure you know of whom I speak?

expression="innocence"

No?

/expression

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 05-12-2008, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:

The message
from David W EEE Roberts contains these words:

I fel happy for you, but perhaps you could tell me if either version will
accept a user name and pasword for a newsgroup, and if so where the
settings are located within the overall setings?

Not sure what you mean - you just down and upload new posts to
newsgroups - there's no username or password needed.

However, that might be the way independent news *SERVERS* operate.

I@ve got an Eee too, but haven't set up a newsreader on that, yet - this
is a rather heavy full tower - on wheels, but not mobile thereby!

If it is the Linux version you already have Knode there - jut well
concealed.

If you start a terminal session (cntrl+alt+t) and then type knode in the
terminal window it will start.

Safest to type 'nohup knode&' as this detaches it from the terminal session
and allows it to run independantly.

knode has the configuration settings for authentication to a third party
news server.

I would prefer Pan, however, as I like the interface better.