Old 24-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Registered User

Default How to get onto urg

I left a message on another thread about this, after being told off by Mr R Hinge for viewing this newsgroup via Garden Banter. Please could someone tell me how to access urg? I've tried Googling it, but altho I get a home page it won't let me proceed. MY ISP is aol - don't know whether that's a problem.
P.S. I found Garden Banter by accident and am wondering why it is so infra dig. The posts from other parts of the world are often informative and sometimes very amusing.
Old 26-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Conroy View Post
I left a message on another thread about this, after being told off by Mr R Hinge for viewing this newsgroup via Garden Banter. Please could someone tell me how to access urg? I've tried Googling it, but altho I get a home page it won't let me proceed. MY ISP is aol - don't know whether that's a problem.
P.S. I found Garden Banter by accident and am wondering why it is so infra dig. The posts from other parts of the world are often informative and sometimes very amusing.
Here I am, replying to myself. I've tried twice to get a response to this. Please don't tick me off or write snotty comments when I mention something I've seen elsewhere on GardenBanter if none of you urglers is prepared to give me guidance on how to access urg other than via GB.
Old 27-11-2008, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Janet Conroy;823492 Wrote:
I left a message on another thread about this, after being told off by
Mr R Hinge for viewing this newsgroup via Garden Banter. Please could
someone tell me how to access urg? I've tried Googling it, but altho I
get a home page it won't let me proceed. MY ISP is aol - don't know
whether that's a problem.
P.S. I found Garden Banter by accident and am wondering why it is so
infra dig. The posts from other parts of the world are often
informative and sometimes very amusing.

Here I am, replying to myself. I've tried twice to get a response to
this. Please don't tick me off or write snotty comments when I mention
something I've seen elsewhere on GardenBanter if none of you urglers is
prepared to give me guidance on how to access urg other than via GB.

You need a news reader, normally a computer will come with one as part of
the email package, go to tools accounts and look under the "News" tag,
however some of the free to use readers are better at getting rid of spam
messages I use MicroPlanet Gravity which was a free down load.
Then you need to subscribe to the newsgroup, UK rec gardening in this
case. again your ISP may have this listed and you can subscribe for free
or you can buy annual subscription from outfits like News.Individual.

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 27-11-2008, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 26, 9:42*pm, Janet Conroy Janet.Conroy.
wrote:
Janet Conroy;823492 Wrote:

I left a message on another thread about this, after being told off by
Mr R Hinge for viewing this newsgroup via Garden Banter. *Please could
someone tell me how to access urg? *I've tried Googling it, but altho I
get a home page it won't let me proceed. *MY ISP is aol - don't know
whether that's a problem.

AOL is a problem but I doubt it is preventing you using Google groups.

P.S. I found Garden Banter by accident and am wondering why it is so
infra dig. *The posts from other parts of the world are often
informative and sometimes very amusing.

Here I am, replying to myself. *I've tried twice to get a response to
this. *Please don't tick me off or write snotty comments when I mention
something I've seen elsewhere on GardenBanter if none of you urglers is
prepared to give me guidance on how to access urg other than via GB.

GardenBanter effectively steals the discussions taking place on a pre-
existing Usenet group
uk.rec.gardening
Some people find this incredibly annoying and take it out on posters
from GB whose content is reflected onto Usenet.

You should be able to access urg via Google groups even if you don't
have a proper newsreader.

http://groups.google.com/
and specific for urg.
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.rec.gardening/topics
or this particular thread
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.re...6c49e93ebe662#

Google groups is also a bit infra-dig but it is useful when you are
mobile and not at a machine that has direct Usenet news access.
Increasingly ISPs are pulling Usenet servers offline as not cost
effective (ie profitable).

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 27-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Brown View Post
wrote:
Janet Conroy;823492 Wrote:

[...]

Thank you for both replies. I will have a go.

Old 27-11-2008, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Janet Conroy writes

Janet Conroy;823492 Wrote:
I left a message on another thread about this, after being told off

by
Mr R Hinge for viewing this newsgroup via Garden Banter. Please

could
someone tell me how to access urg? I've tried Googling it, but altho

get a home page it won't let me proceed. MY ISP is aol - don't know
whether that's a problem.
P.S. I found Garden Banter by accident and am wondering why it is so
infra dig.

I don't like gardenbanter because it is enhancing (1) its own reputation
by using stuff I've posted to urg without asking my permission.
(1) matter of opinion, of course. It might well be better off without my
posts!

The posts from other parts of the world are often
informative and sometimes very amusing.

There are newsgroups from all over the world accessible with a
newsreader - including all the newsgroups you see on gardenbanter!

Here I am, replying to myself. I've tried twice to get a response to
this. Please don't tick me off or write snotty comments when I mention
something I've seen elsewhere on GardenBanter if none of you urglers is
prepared to give me guidance on how to access urg other than via GB.

There's no problem with your continuing to access urg via gardenbanter
if you can cope with the inconvenience, but just remember that accessing
urg is what you are doing, and that most of us don't use gardenbanter,
so when you talk about things elsewhere on the gardenbanter site it
means nothing to us.

--
Kay
Old 27-11-2008, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
geo geo is offline

Janet Conroy wrote:

Here I am, replying to myself. I've tried twice to get a response to
this. Please don't tick me off or write snotty comments when I mention
something I've seen elsewhere on GardenBanter if none of you urglers is
prepared to give me guidance on how to access urg other than via GB.

As others have said, you need to be able to use a newsreader. I have
just followed the instructions he-
http://news.aioe.org/spip.php?article77
to set up a (free) account with nntp.aioe.org - you do not have to
register with them at all.

I then downloaded their group list, found uk.rec.gardening and posted
this reply. Took about 10-15 minutes.
If you don't have Thunderbird (a free email and news client), you could
download it, or alternatively set up Outlook Express (which I suspect
already lurks on your machine) but I have no information on how to use
that program.

Good to see someone wanting to get away from the webpage stuff - good luck.

Old 27-11-2008, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
geo geo is offline

Janet Conroy wrote:
Here I am, replying to myself. I've tried twice to get a response to
this. Please don't tick me off or write snotty comments when I mention
something I've seen elsewhere on GardenBanter if none of you urglers is
prepared to give me guidance on how to access urg other than via GB.

As others have said, you need to be able to use a newsreader. I have
just followed registered (free) with:-
news.motzarella.org
They send you an email with a password.

I then set up an acoount in Thunderbird (free), downloaded their group
list, found uk.rec.gardening and posted this reply. Took about 10-15
minutes.
If you don't have Thunderbird (a free email and news client), you could
download it, or alternatively set up Outlook Express (which I suspect
already lurks on your machine) but I have no information on how to use
that program.

Good to see someone wanting to get away from the thieving webpages -
good luck.
Old 27-11-2008, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
geo geo is offline

Sorry that arrived multiple times - the first post via nntp.aioe.org did not
appear to get out so I repeated the exercise with a second free news server.
Anyway - the point is it only takes a few minutes to do...

Geo

Old 27-11-2008, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Conroy" wrote
I left a message on another thread about this, after being told off by
Mr R Hinge for viewing this newsgroup via Garden Banter. Please could
someone tell me how to access urg? I've tried Googling it, but altho I
get a home page it won't let me proceed. MY ISP is aol - don't know
whether that's a problem.
P.S. I found Garden Banter by accident and am wondering why it is so
infra dig. The posts from other parts of the world are often
informative and sometimes very amusing.

Here I am, replying to myself. I've tried twice to get a response to
this. Please don't tick me off or write snotty comments when I mention
something I've seen elsewhere on GardenBanter if none of you urglers is
prepared to give me guidance on how to access urg other than via GB.

No doubt you have Outlook Express (or Windows Mail if you have Vista, same
thing) and if you don't use it for e-mail you may not have set it up yet. Do
you also use web page mail from your isp? (Horrid IMO)
To set up OE just open the program and it will ask if you want it to be your
default Mail Program, just say "yes" and it should do it all automatically,
if not you may have to get the setup info for OE from your ISPs web site.

So from then onward when you go online and you open OE it will automatically
download all mail that is waiting for you and you can then read, delete or
save as you wish.

To get onto URG and any of the other 10s thousand of Newsgroups just go to
"Tools" then "Newsgroups" and your PC will download the list of Newsgroups
your ISP has (assuming your ISP has any, some don't). You then search for
uk.rec.gardening and "subscribe" (no fees involved) then when you open OE
and click where is says Inbox or Local Folders (top left) you will see URG
displayed. Simply click on it to come here and download all the latest
posts/comments. You will notice the headings slightly change (from the mail
setting) so have a look and see what they can do, it's quite intuitive IMO.
Always post replies to the Newsgroup not direct to the poster, it's good
manners.
One point, you do need to hide your e-mail address so go to "Tools" then
"accounts" then the News tab and put something like where it
says e-mail address. That way the spammers can't harvest your address.
Hope that helps, if not mail me on the plural of my surname snaily thing bt
internet spot com. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-11-2008, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Conroy contains
these words:

I left a message on another thread about this, after being told off by
Mr R Hinge for viewing this newsgroup via Garden Banter.

Mr. R. Hinge did no such thing. AFAIAC, you can look at URG anyhow you like.

IIRC, you were expecting Urglers to be using Gardenbanter - or at least,
to see everything that's on their website, or whatever it is.

It's a completely different set-up - you get access to Gardenbanter
through the WWW - you get access to URG through Usenet, and while they
use the same physical cables and sometimes, radio connections (as I do,
to get to the cablybits, WWW and Usenet work in very different ways.

My gripe is with Gardenbanter (allegedly) presenting URG as part of
itself, rather than explaining that they've swiped and republished URG
posts - and some say, not including some which are critical of
Gardenbanter and its methods.

Googlegropes is worse - they want the whole of Usenet, and because they
can't have it, like people to believe that it's theirs.

Please could
someone tell me how to access urg? I've tried Googling it, but altho I
get a home page it won't let me proceed. MY ISP is aol - don't know
whether that's a problem.

Yes. AOL has no longer any news server. I have a feeling that it may be
worse than that too, and AOLlers may be unable to access directly news
at all.

P.S. I found Garden Banter by accident and am wondering why it is so
infra dig. The posts from other parts of the world are often
informative and sometimes very amusing.

It's not infra dig. It's just different.

Here I am, replying to myself. I've tried twice to get a response to
this. Please don't tick me off or write snotty comments when I mention
something I've seen elsewhere on GardenBanter if none of you urglers is
prepared to give me guidance on how to access urg other than via GB.

I expect someone will be along in a minute or two to give you chapter
and verse about AOL. Assuming it's possible, you'll need to subscribe to
a news server. Most make a small charge - ten Euros is about average, I
think - however - there are some good free servers, and I'm sure someone
will recommend one.

My ISP (and that of some other Urglers) has its own news server, so it's
on tap for us, and I think, Demonites.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 27-11-2008, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Charlie Pridham contains these words:

again your ISP may have this listed and you can subscribe for free
or you can buy annual subscription from outfits like News.Individual.

Nope - not AOL any longer.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 27-11-2008, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message

from Martin Brown contains these words:

Google groups is also a bit infra-dig but it is useful when you are
mobile and not at a machine that has direct Usenet news access.
Increasingly ISPs are pulling Usenet servers offline as not cost
effective (ie profitable).

Since the Zetgods use Usenet, I am reliably informed that as long it
remains under the same management/ownership, the news server is secure,
if not sacred.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 27-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
Janet Conroy wrote:

Here I am, replying to myself. I've tried twice to get a response to
this. Please don't tick me off or write snotty comments when I mention
something I've seen elsewhere on GardenBanter if none of you urglers is
prepared to give me guidance on how to access urg other than via GB.

As others have said, you need to be able to use a newsreader. I have
just followed the instructions he-
http://news.aioe.org/spip.php?article77
to set up a (free) account with nntp.aioe.org - you do not have to
register with them at all.

Using news groups is ok IF it's only one or two of them, if, as I do, you subscribe to quite a lot then it becomes almost a full time occupation to read all of the posts. Since in most cases only about 40% of posts have any interest to anyone person, the time, effort and trouble becomes too much and the whole thing implodes. Most of the sites I receive in digest form via 2 or 3 emails a day which means I can at least pick out the posts of interest to me from the digest headers. The beauty of garden banter is that the forum layout enables me to see at a glance what is new, what interests me, and above all I don't have to wade through yards of quotes from the start of the thread trying to find the one line reply buried in there somewhere, in a forum you don't need to use quotes to show what you are talking about as the thread has a title that tells you. /rant. :-)